spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigmac240

@comcast.net

500GB flash hard drive?

Can anyone tell me a good online store where I can purchase a 500 GB flash based external usb hard drive for storage? I want something for real long term storage (years). Thanks.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
Personally I think you would be foolish to buy a FLASH (SSD) for external storage. They are very expensive and you will not see any speed increase from using a SSD as an external drive because the speed, Reads & Writes, is limited by the interface the drive is connected to.
You'd be better off buying a Standard Spinning external drive. These drive will last for years especially if it is not connected to a computer all the time. For the cost of an SSD to use as an external you could buy 4 or 5 standard external drives of much greater capacity. Then if you buy one standard external for USB 2 or 3 in 2 years you could buy another that may connect to Thunderbolt or some other NEW external connection system and still not spend the money you would of spent on a SSD today.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to bigmac240
I am not aware of anyone selling a retail package 500Gb external USB SSD, for the reasons Shootist See Profile stated. But if you are just dead set on having one, you could buy a bare drive and an enclosure to put it in.
Drives:
»www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···hInDesc=

Enclosures:
»www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···hInDesc=
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to bigmac240
you could buy two of this

»www.kingston.com/datasheets/dthx30_us.pdf

its over $500 each

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to bigmac240
said by bigmac240 :

Can anyone tell me a good online store where I can purchase a 500 GB flash based external usb hard drive for storage? I want something for real long term storage (years). Thanks.

Why would you want an external SSD?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.
Expand your moderator at work

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to bigmac240

Re: 500GB flash hard drive?

Found this article - CD/DVD/Flash Shelf Life?

"it’s called "flash" memory, not "freeze" memory. It’s simply not designed for archival storage."

You also might want to check out this PDF - on page 3

"Data retention explains how long a flash cell will retain its data,
statistically. NAND flash found its growth, and was originally optimized for consumer applications where the flash device is treated as temporary storage, such as digital cameras."
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

bigmac240

@comcast.net
reply to bigmac240
Ok, thanks for the help. I didn't realize flash drives would be so expensive. I'll probably just go with a regular spinning usb drive. Though it will probably be plugged in all the time, whenever the pc is booted up, for convenience. I was only concerned a spinning type usb hard drive wouldn't be the best option for long term storage.

Btw, Is there anything better for long term storage? I was thinking DVDs, but I would need quite a few at 4.7 GBs each.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
BluRay

rolfp

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bigmac240
I've never trusted optical media for long-term storage.

There's something new (to me, at least) that promises long life in an optical disk.

M-DISK

Overview
The M-DISC utilizes chemically stable and heat-resistant materials that are not used in any other DVD or optical disc! These materials cannot be overwritten, erased, or corrupted by natural processes. Data is stored on the M-DISC by physically altering the data layer and creating permanent voids or holes. This new method of burning data is specifically designed to make your data endure the next 1000 years.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bigmac240
Your best bet, if you intend to do this, is to stay away from USBV2.

This forces you to USBV3 or ESATA to gain the bandwidth of the buss.
Then, and only then can you see a decent increase, but the buss will still prevent you from seeing the speed you crave.

I use Momentus XT drives in external USBV2, USBV3, and ESATA external enclosures with improved speeds over conventional hard drives, and this kept costs down...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle