spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hkguy
join:2012-11-30
Fremont, CA

hkguy

[DSL] download/upload speed 550/280 Kb/s

I just got my Internet up and running with DSL Extreme today. So far so good. I'm on the Basic+ plan. Currently both the download and upload speeds are slow. Please let me know what information I need to provide to fix this issue.

Thank you.
hkguy

hkguy

The Basic+ supposes to have 1500/384 Kb/s. The download speed is still too slow.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by hkguy:

The Basic+ supposes to have 1500/384 Kb/s. The download speed is still too slow.

You should begin with your modem statistics. Post the SNR (margin), attenuation, and rate (connect speed) numbers. You definitely have a problem.

Once you have your speed issue sorted out, check this:

»AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »I never see the speed I ordered on speed tests. What a ripoff!!!!

Your measured speed will only be ~85% of your modem sync rate (profile speed).

dslx_steve
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve to hkguy

Premium Member

to hkguy
PM me your account info. I'd like to test the line. In addition to what NormanS asked, I'd like to know what speeds are you getting on speed tests »/speedtest
hkguy
Fremont, CA

1 edit

hkguy

Thanks Norman and Steve for the reply. The following is the information you asked.

Modem Statistics:

Line State UP
Modulation G.dmt
Data Path fast

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1536 384
SN Margin (dB) 9.0 -
Line Attenuation (dB) 63.5 -
Loss of Signal 0 -
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 66 2

Speed Tests:

Servers Download Upload Latency
LA 560 Kb/s 261 Kb/s 61ms
San Jose 545 Kb/s 280 Kb/s 29ms
mitpatterson
Premium Member
join:2012-09-17
Toledo, OH

mitpatterson

Premium Member

What modem are you using? it seems odd that your SNR, and Line attenuation have a number listed for the down but just a - for the up portion of it..

CCarson
join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA

CCarson to hkguy

to hkguy
Here's some info on some of those readings:
»Windstream DSL FAQ »Modem DSL Statistics? What do the SNR and ATTN numbers show me about my line?

Looks like you're syncing at the proper rate, but you have some line noise issues--either inside your home wiring or between your house and the CO.

dslx_steve
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve to hkguy

Premium Member

to hkguy
Got your account info. May be a problem on the line. I'll have a tech contact you so we can troubleshoot further.
hkguy
Fremont, CA

hkguy

Hi Steve,
A tech called yesterday, but I wasn't able to talk to him. He left a number (866-491-7228) to call back. When I called, a message said that it is something like a Canada Revenue Collection Services...
Anyway, may be the number is wrong.

So far the speed seems to be slowly picking up, the download/upload speeds go to around 900/300 Kbps. I'll wait for couple more days to see if it improves further.

I also noticed another problem. When I use a phone, the DSL is dropped and the DSL comes back again within 30 seconds. I was told that it could be a wiring problem inside the house. I'll try to connect the modem to the telephone box outside the house to see if the problem still exists.

To mitpatterson, my modem is Efficient SpeedStream 5100b.

Thanks a lot!

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Our number is 866-491-7221, so last digit was off. We're definitely not in Canada, heh. Please don't hesitate to call us on THAT number if you need any troubleshooting assistance.

Btw, do you have more than one phone plugged in? Curious as to whether picking up the phone ANYWHERE causes the disconnect, or if it's only picking up one specific phone that kills the connection.
hkguy
Fremont, CA

hkguy

I only have one phone (a regular non-cordless one). I changed the filter and also plugged the phone at other phone sockets, the problem still happens.

I need to test the connection at the telephone box outside the house to see if the problem is due to the bad wiring inside the house.