spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

Electronicbox to Distributel

Hey all,

Just have a couple of questions. Currently, I'm with Electronicbox and the service is excellent, however I'm limited with a 500 GB cap every month (it is quite high, but with 4 laptops, a desktop, 3 gaming systems, etc I've been going over recently) and am thinking of switching to Distributel. I originally went with Electronicbox cause Distributel didn't offer a 30 Mbps plan when I moved, but now they do.

The plan with Distributel is unlimited and if I combine my home phone (switch it from Videotron to Distributel) the plan with Distributel will cost me the exact same as Electronicbox.

My questions are about fees and modem. Distributel uses the same model of modem that I bought from Electronicbox, so I"m assuming that I could just use it? Would there be any activation fees seeing as it's all on videotron's network anyways? I have no contract with Electronicbox, so how much notice do I need to give to cancel (so I'm not paying both companies for service)?

Thanks guys in advance for your suggestions.
singerie3
anon are muted
join:2008-10-12
Montreal, QC

singerie3

i'm planning to do the exact same move... 500g isn't enough. let us know how was the transfer.

You might want to have a look at acanac, they run on the distributel network, but cheaper if you buy a year in advance. i'm considering this move.

Also, does anyone know if ebox have some sort of 'retention' department ?

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

No we don't have retention. On a side note if 500 GB is not enough @ 59.95$ you might want to check out upgrading to 650 GB for 69.95$ which will be slightly more than the unlimited plan of distributel (currently 66.95$) but you don't have to buy another modem + pay install fees.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

I do appreciate the response, however if I combine my home phone with the package distributel offers, I'll get unlimited for the same price I'm paying now.

On top of that, I should not have to buy a new modem as they use the exact same model and the installation fee, well that would be a one time fee, if they decide to charge it.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member

diskace

Premium Member

I believe Distributel / Acanac have a policy of refusing to bring your own modem. You might want to check it out before.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by diskace:

I believe Distributel / Acanac have a policy of refusing to bring your own modem. You might want to check it out before.

Will most definitely do so, mostly the reason why I posted here about it. If I do, then it's no dice for me as why would I shell out another $100 only to buy the same modem I already own? Just doesn't make sense.

Do you guys offer discounts for bundling services Diskace? Also, how much notice do I have to give you guys to cancel to avoid paying for overlapping services?

I imagine if I cannot get the answer from Distributel here, then I'll call them.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member

diskace

Premium Member

Yes we do offer bundling discount.

Telephone is 19.95$ including 5 calling features + superzones (equivalent of distributel complete phone line @20.45$ but we throw superzones into the deal)

5$ bundling discount for 2 services.

We don't include the hardware so you need to bring your own voip device or buy/lease one from us.

For disconnection we ask that you finish your prepaid month. Currently that would be month of December but after the 7th of December it would be for end of January.

For inter-tpia transfer we can place a disconnect request in advance so that it match the install date of your new provider.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

Your grid for bundling seems to be out of date (100GB options on data) or am I wrong?

Is there a $5 bundling discount on the $14.95 plan also?

About to experiment with voip.ms when I receive my voip adaptor but my laziness might kick in if it is $10 a month :P

diskace
Retired
Premium Member

diskace

Premium Member

I am not sure i am getting your point here (100 GB option) ?

The 14.95$ plan already include the multiproduct discount.

We have a 5$ plan also which is a pay per minute plan like voip.ms but uses Bell as the backend carrier rather than iristel. It's 2 cents/minute so depending on the volume it might be a better option if you want to save.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

was referrring to this page:

»www.electronicbox.net/en ··· ons.html

thanks for the info!
Task514
join:2007-10-21
H0H0H0

Task514 to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy
If you happen to do the switch and stuck with useless ElectronicBox modem... give me a shout!

Upsidedown
@utoronto.ca

Upsidedown to rednekcowboy

Anon

to rednekcowboy
Distributel forces you to buy/ rent modems (at pretty steep prices for what they're actually selling), even if you have a compatible one.

Also, they have a $29 setup fee with a "one time" $10 new account/customer fee on top of it for internet.

Oh almost forgot, if you bought Distributel equipment in the past and want to resign up, you have to buy the equipment again if your account was deactivated for more than 1 year, you also have to pay for the $10 new account fee.
singerie3
anon are muted
Montreal, QC

singerie3 to Task514

to Task514
said by Task514:

If you happen to do the switch and stuck with useless ElectronicBox modem... give me a shout!

check your PM

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to diskace

to diskace
I know distributel does ask you to buy/rent their modem but as far as I know acanac is fine with byom
singerie3
anon are muted
Montreal, QC

singerie3

no they just 'forced' me to buy their modem dcm 475

Concerned
@bell.ca

Concerned

Anon

Do you offer the 650gb on the 60meg plan diskace?

diskace
Retired
Premium Member

diskace

Premium Member

said by Concerned :

Do you offer the 650gb on the 60meg plan diskace?

As of right now no. It is 250, 325, 400, 475 or 550 GB.