spc
uniqs
Slipen
join:2010-04-18
Cairo, GA

1 edit

Slipen to tdumaine

to tdumaine

Re: Why dont many of you vote with your wallet?

If it was a viable option you can believe most if not all would switch. You can say 98% of the people on here complaining about speeds and disconnects are the ones that have no other choice or are locked into a contract and can't switch yet until it is up. I for one would not think twice about leaving if I could play games on sat internet.

Verizon has expanded 4G LTE in the towns on each side of us, and are expected to be in my area in 1st qtr of next year. I have tested it multiple times in each while visiting friends 17MBPS down or higher and 3-10 up. When it is here and I can check it I will glady forget I even knew a company named Windstream.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

If they arent even close to giving whats in the contract its fairly easy to get out of the contract, they are in breech of contract. Even if the wording is "up to" this speed, there is reasonable expectations.

ISDN available to you? I know its not high speed, but it would do gaming well.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

That's just it.. Rural areas need more competition rather than useless satellite and low capped wireless. Nobody, and I mean nobody would stick with a company like Windstream if there was another reasonable choice for broadband. It takes too much time and money to sue them and chances are their lawyers are better than what you could afford. I'll never touch wireless with their low caps. They are just as greedy as Windstream in that manner.. even if their networks are better. Satellite is useless for my broadband needs and that's the only other choices we have. Windstream understands this and continues to provide sub par service. It makes me wonder if they are trying to make people leave, then they fix their network, and the only way to come back to Windstream is to get locked into a contract. We already see what is happening with Kansas City and Google Fiber. Once some real competition comes along, the ISPs that have been rolling in profits and providing 1/80th of the speed for the same price are struggling to keep customers. It's a damn shame this couldn't happen all across the country.

Liv
@windstream.net

Liv

Anon

Dont you think we would if we could? We have no choice, windstream knows this they are preying on rural communities where they hold a monopoly. If they were to do business like this in a major competetive area, they would be out of business. They are a predatory company, I would live for comcast, At&t, verizon anyone to come to southeast Missouri and give us a choice. And I am sure 99% of the posters here would like the same.
LostInWoods
join:2004-04-14

LostInWoods to tdumaine

to tdumaine
said by tdumaine:

ISDN available to you? I know its not high speed, but it would do gaming well.

I hadn't thought about ISDN since I last had it 10+ years ago. Assuming that you can even get ISDN in your locality, the issue would be finding a rural dial-up ISP that supports it, with a POP that's not a toll call. And since Windstream would provide the ISDN line (monopoly provider, remember?), and they consider the ISDN line a business class service, it would likely cost as much or more as the DSL line you would be dumping. And then you have to add the dial-up ISP cost.

The fact is that most of the folks on this forum who are having problems simply have no other high-speed option than satellite. I doubt wireless data would be any faster for most of us than WS's broken DSL. I know I get EDGE speeds on my phone, and VZW is no faster - no LTE in my woods.

What galls me most is that WS is given federal stimulus money, borrowed from my children's future prosperity, to extend their network deployment. That's bad enough by itself, but in addition there are no strings attached to ensure that their network is worth a damn. Uncle Sugar pays them to deploy DSL, only to have them deliver dial-up speeds. Such a deal.
Slipen
join:2010-04-18
Cairo, GA

Slipen to tdumaine

to tdumaine
ISDN if offered would still run through the lines Windstream owns.. You would still be dealing with them for your internet service and before dsl the top dialup where I am was 26,400.