share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit

[WIN8] Why such poor task manager?

How do I get a REAL task manager in Win 8? Or is only the junk one designed for sheeple available? it is AWFUL. I have Prio enhanced Task Manager on XP Pro. It walks circles around this awful thing in Win 8. I also have it on Vista Ultimate virtual machine and used it on Win 7 public beta.
»www.prnwatch.com/prio.html

Where is all the USEFUL information in Task Manager? I don't need to know what programs were in use yesterday. They happen to be programs or applications...there is no such word as "app". There is so much junk in this task manager and not much useful stuff. It it sprawled out and simply not giving me useful information and looks horrible also.

I bet Prio won't work on this task manager. Another reason to get rid of Win 8.

I found the REAL Task Manager HIDDEN in Resource Manager. Why do that? EVERY SINGLE THING in Win 8 takes at least 4-5 extra clicks to get to it. WHY????

Windows 8 is certainly NOT an ERGONOMIC OS.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Simple fact is MS has Dumbed down many parts of Windows 8. Why I have no hard evidence but it is my opinion they did it to lock out the Enthusiast PC user. They are going the way of Apple Mac where Apple doesn't want the User to make changes or have access to parts of the OS. IE Locking it down.

IMHO there is NO reason to ever use Win 8 on a Real Computer. Unless that is all that is available for that system. Like the Standard MS Surface with Win RT or the Pro version with Win 8.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

doesn't ctrl+shift+esc work any more?

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

4 recommendations

It does, but why ruin a good bitch session with such awful reality?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Badonkadonk:

Bwahahahahahaha. Hahahahahaha!

Oh. Okay. All better now. Thanks.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Mele20

Um, click on More Detail on bottom....

Jolie34

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Mele20

I don't get what you are trying to say. Are you saying that the Task Manager in Windows 8 is a fake? Do you have a non-fake Task Manager? Where do I get it from?

What is Prio? Is this the real TAsk Manager? Are you selling the Prio? And, what is ERGONOMIC OS? Please tell me.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

I actually like reading Mele20's posts .

I do agree with her that some things are a bit buried but I actually like the Windows 8 task manager.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

No comment.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Michail

Right click the start corner (lower left corner) .....

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

Get Process Hacker, it's a free Task Manager replacement with a hell of a lot of features, more than even the one that SysInternals makes. Did I mention that it's free? And open source too!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
reply to Mele20

Stop torturing yourself with the God awful Microsoft Operating Systems and switch to Ubuntu, a real OS. Lots of good tools available.
--
CMKRNL

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

2 recommendations

And no real applications used in the business world. Awesome.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:

Stop torturing yourself with the God awful Microsoft Operating Systems and switch to Ubuntu, a real OS. Lots of good tools available.

I think it's actually could be a good idea, to use OS, that was developed without a profit idea in mind Putting all eggs in proprietary, made for profit OS, certainly is bad idea though. And we see why it is now. Tomorrow company may decide to move on to another market and abandon the product (and your trust in the process). Could you blame them for that? I guess not...

There are many examples on how m$ discarded good products, people relied on. For example, I still use MS Money since 1995. It's because I entered a lot of important financial data into its database. I can't simply abandon it now, but m$ did it without any hesitation, because they made it for profit...

Windows OS for desktop environment could be yet another such example of this strategy.
said by Shootist:

Simple fact is MS has Dumbed down many parts of Windows 8. Why I have no hard evidence but it is my opinion they did it to lock out the Enthusiast PC user.

If they did not do it (abandon product) now, with Windows 8, they may do it later on with Windows 9 or 10. Actually you always can expect the market condition change and, as a result, they will drop that product too at any time... Do you want to repeat the mistake that I made with MS Money years ago? I guess, not.

Think about moving on and use OS, designed and made with non-profit ideas in mind. You'll not lose your computer environment if market is suddenly changed and moved into other direction and some for-profit company decided to move on and cease any development/support it promised...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...
Expand your moderator at work

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] Why such poor task manager?

said by Mele20:

How do I get a REAL task manager in Win 8? Or is only the junk one designed for sheeple available?

The new calculator is fantastic and makes up for the sheepily task manager. You can copy and paste data into and out of it ( I've wanted that for years ) and it has a bunch of handy new modes and features. Play with it, and it will be days before you even think about messing with the task manager again.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to OZO

Makes a lot of sense, since the majority of businesses use MS. Seriously? Have you ever worked in a business environment for a real company? If the day comes when MS abandons ship, I'll switch to the next big corporation supported OS. Not some dinky horse manure enthusiast POS.
--
After reading postings from the self so-called experts on the MS and Apple forums, I just have to shake my head sadly.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

And no real applications used in the business world. Awesome.

The OP is not in a business world environment.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

She's sure acting like her OS struggles are life or death.

MrIcehouse

join:2006-02-07
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

How often do you use task manager? I see it as a non issue. But hey, you're still using XP, how was that task manager? Not good I see because you're using a 3rd party one. I can think of more reasons to get rid of XP than I can to get rid of 8.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Mele20

Wow.
If anything I thought the new Task Manager would have been something that you might of liked above all the other new "features" in Windows 8.
Plus, it seems to be one of the least criticized parts of Windows 8. It doesn't look to be that bad to me?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PipyvCV1BY

--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Anon00
Premium
join:2001-09-25
USA

1 recommendation

said by Dustyn:

Wow.
If anything I thought the new Task Manager would have been something that you might of liked above all the other new "features" in Windows 8.
Plus, it seems to be one of the least criticized parts of Windows 8. It doesn't look to be that bad to me?

Lol that was my thought too. Windows 8's task manager is light years ahead of any previous iteration, for simple users and power users. I especially like how they included more items in the Performance task and increased the details for the Users tab. Oh I guess Mele doesn't look the divisions in Processes tab (yeah... that's not useful right?)... why not hit up the Details tab then...

Though, admittedly, I keep Process Explorer (and the rest of Sysinternals' tools) if I need to go all hardcore.

And task manager is hard to access, freak out much? Let me count the familiar ways:
Start->"T-A-S-K"-> oh lookie, so hidden
CTRL+ALT+ESC->Ah ha!
Desktop->Right Click Taskbar->Task Manager-> oh hai, my familiar friend
Winkey+R->taskmgr.exe->Bringing it back ol' school
Winkey+X->TaskManager->WHAT!, no that's new... crap.
CTRL+ALT+DEL->Task Manager, oh my beloved CTRL+ALT+DEL screen, I can't quit you.

Gah, opening up task manager is such a pain
--
"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." - Friedrich Nietzsche
"'It's the law' is just an excuse for the unintelligent and unimaginative to remain that way" - Me

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to vaxvms

ubunto is a huge pile of crap try a real linux os like fedora or suse

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

said by DelmarPip:

ubunto is a huge pile of crap try a real linux os like fedora or suse

Linux is a huge pile of crap try a real Unix like BSD
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

2 recommendations

UNIX is a huge pile of crap, try a ... wait...

Shit.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Mele20

This is starting to sound like the late 90's open source OS rants.

Microsoft is still here in the 21st century.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to JohnInSJ

To me, Linux is just an OS that runs on certain appliances like routers, DVR boxes, servers... Certain devices that doesn't require a GUI.

Linux as a desktop? No thanks.

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08

said by RazzyW8 :

To me, Linux is just an OS that runs on certain appliances like routers, DVR boxes, servers... Certain devices that doesn't require a GUI.

Desktop linux has come a long way in user friendliness, but it's still a little rough around the edges at times, and not quite ready for prime time IMO...

RazzyW8

@rr.com

said by Kerodo:

said by RazzyW8 :

Desktop linux has come a long way in user friendliness, but it's still a little rough around the edges at times, and not quite ready for prime time IMO...

I've been using Linux since 1995. I still run Linux along with Windows. I've played around with latest KDE, Gnome and Unity and I still much prefer Windows due to its stability, consistency, performance, and of course ease of use.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to RazzyW8

said by RazzyW8 :

Well, ok. I've run Linux as my primary OS off and on for the past 7 years on everything from servers to desktops to laptops (even on the netbook, but meego never really did finish.)

It's not better or worse than MacOS or Windows. Just different.

Right now for example I'm in firefox on the linux box... not much different than firefox on Win8
--
My place : »www.schettino.us