join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to dave

Premium Member

to dave

Re: [WIN8] Why such poor task manager?

said by dave:

I assume the key provided with the PC would work for Windows 7 from the same vendor - but since I've only does this with volume-licensed versions, I can't say for certain.

That has not been MY experience with keys from M$.

Using XP Pro as an example :

I personally have demonstrated that XPP VL keys are not accepted by an XPP OEM install, and vice versa (and the vice versa matters more, if you are only trying to make legit an illegally installed VL OS with an OEM key which is not currently in use elsewhere), and if they are not accepted WITHIN different flavours of a product version, then I quite doubt that they would be accepted in another version.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

do not want nor need to learn yet another new way to get to the screen where we do it !

Then don't upgrade to the newest version as soon as it's released and then piss n moan and cry its different and that old is better. If you must buy new hardware and feel compelled to use an old OS and/or an ancient version of some program go to eBay and buy the OLD software. Change does not equal evil. Unwillingness to learn and use change to one's advantage is lame.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by vaxvms:

said by Davesnothere:

do not want nor need to learn yet another new way to get to the screen where we do it !

....Change does not [necessarily] equal evil.

Unwillingness to learn and use change to one's advantage is lame.

I wasn't specifically stating that change is evil, only that it can often be a sheer waste of time and/or money.

Believe you me, I am one of the LAST to adopt new things, unless I actually see a purpose in them.

On that basis, Win 8 does not qualify, unless you have/buy a tablet, IMNSHO.

So I should forgo the new PC then ? (they cost so little these days )

The process of living by 'small-c conservatism' should not need to be so convoluted.

I agree with you on your final points, but I do not feel that they apply to this particular argument.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by MrIcehouse:

How often do you use task manager? I see it as a non issue....

I keep Task Manager running in the systray all the time.

I have it in Startup. I use it a lot.

Prio is NOT a third party task manager. It ENHANCES Microsoft's Task Manager that is all. Prio's enhancements are far more sophisticated and useful than what Microsoft has done with the "new" Task Manager in Win 8.

As do I. - (I won't leave home without it )

Some apps are such extreme Memory/CPU resource hogs and need to be managed.

This is one effective way to do that.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned) to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by vaxvms:

said by Davesnothere:

....Change does not [necessarily] equal evil.

Unwillingness to learn and use change to one's advantage is lame.

I wasn't specifically stating that change is evil, only that it can often be a sheer waste of time and/or money.

Believe you me, I am one of the LAST to adopt new things, unless I actually see a purpose in them.

On that basis, Win 8 does not qualify, unless you have/buy a tablet, IMNSHO.

So I should forgo the new PC then ? (they cost so little these days )

The process of living by 'small-c conservatism' should not need to be so convoluted.

I agree with you on your final points, but I do not feel that they apply to this particular argument.

Did you not read vaxvms' response? He said if you want old and outdated, it's there for the purchasing. No one said to forego new hardware or computers. By the machine, wipe it and install whatever floats your boat. Whining about it is lame as well.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

2 recommendations

OZO

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

By the machine, wipe it and install whatever floats your boat.

If he buys machine, he pays for the preinstalled Windows OS. Didn't you know that? Then, wiping it means simple - wasting his money. Is that what you suggest?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
The way I recall it,

. if you have a VL key for version N, you can use it with the VL cd/dvd for version N-1

. if you have an OEM key for version N, you can use it with the OEM cd/dvd for version N-1

. you can't intermix VL and OEM discs and keys

But it's been quite a while since i last really needed to know this.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

If he buys a machine, he pays for the preinstalled Windows OS. Didn't you know that?

Then, wiping it means simple - wasting his money. Is that what you suggest?

Yes, your points were part of my logic.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

The way I recall it,

. if you have a VL key for version N, you can use it with the VL cd/dvd for version N-1

. if you have an OEM key for version N, you can use it with the OEM cd/dvd for version N-1

. you can't intermix VL and OEM discs and keys

But it's been quite a while since i last really needed to know this.

I also have tested and proven that you cannot mix keys from (e.g.) XP Home and Pro, nor among Full versions and Upgrades of same edition.

I do not have enough versions & keys on hand to test everything, but I may have enough to see whether a key from Vista Home Basic OEM would let me install XP Home OEM.

Or is what you said only applicable among Biz/Pro releases ?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Dunno - I've never tried with 'home' versions.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to OZO

to OZO
said by OZO:

said by 67845017:

By the machine, wipe it and install whatever floats your boat.

If he buys machine, he pays for the preinstalled Windows OS. Didn't you know that? Then, wiping it means simple - wasting his money. Is that what you suggest?

Yup. The question was whether the should forego new hardware (he even said they cost so little).
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
What key? Windows 8 has no COA sticker on the side or bottom of the machine or even inside the case. Dell had to change their method of installation with Win 8 and there is an individual key in BIOS now on each Dell Win 8 computer. Will this key work if I try to install Win 7 Pro as a downgrade? No one seems to know for sure.

Dell said they honor downgrade rights and also said, of course, they will send Reinstallation disks (NOT restore to factory default) if requested AFTER you get the machine. You cannot request on the configurator. After I got the machine, filled out the request form on Dell support page, and entered my service tag number that is what started this mess of contradictory emails from Dell, contradictory statements in Dell forum by employees and long time "Rockstar" posters there, frustration from the person who publishes the Dell Wikis on how to do a clean install of various Dell OSes, Dell customer service reps with different answers, and more confusion, Dell hardware and software support techs, and supervisors with even more confusion....it's been quite a ride.

Dell Sm/Med Business Customer Care told me on the phone a few days ago that even if I bought from Member Purchase Program (which is a division of Dell Sm/Med business) that the configurator was required to offer me the Reinstallation disk for Win 8 (and the downgrade Win 7 Pro disk) but it didn't. In fact it said (as it has ALWAYS SAID FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW) that disks have to ordered AFTER you receive the machine and input your Service tag on the order form. This rep (located in USA) said if they were not offered on the configurator when I purchased that he would have to get with the Dell website team and get them to add that. He also told me that it was not legal for Dell to refuse to offer me Pro Support on the configurator. I was only offered Basic (India ...special fast cue ...specially trained techs just for XPS and Alienware) but I wanted Pro Support as that is in the USA. I did get Pro Support on the first XPS I bought a few days before Win 8 was released. I told the Sm/Med business Customer Care guy this and I told him that Dell was changing their offerings of this computer and their configurator at least 10 times a day during the time I purchased both of them...some of the time, Dell would say the computer was not available for purchase at all...an hour later it would be there ...but only one config to choose...a bit later 7 configs...then back to one...and every choice on the configurator was changing rapidly too.

This happened to many others too who were purchasing, starting about 4 days before Win 8 was released, but before Black Friday which for MPP started on Nov 15. This Sm/Med business Customer Care tech told me that he could not initiate a return request because MPP Customer Care (which is a part of Sm/Med Business Division) is located in India (that was news to me) and they have to do it. I could not reach them and that is how I eventually got to this USA Sm/Med Business Customer Care person. He tried to reach them in India and got the same recording I did that they were closed and to call back during business hours. Like for me, the recording did not state what the business hours were and he had no idea and was appalled at the sloppiness of the recording.

I could go on and on as that is just a taste of what I am going through but you get the idea. Presently, Dell Social Outreach Customer Care person at Round Rock, Texas (who has been with Dell since 1998) has sent me two USB Keys that are supposed to have setup.exe on them for Win 8 Pro and Win 7 Pro. But I can't boot to either and when I examine the files I can't see "setup.exe" anywhere. Plus, the paper inserts with the keys (and the COA sticker on each key) states that they contain "Replacement Recovery Media for Support Purpose Only and not for distribution with a new computer". I had requested REINSTALLATION DVDs but was told Dell was going green and had moved to USB Keys instead and was sent these.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I thought this thread was about Windows 8 Task Manager?
What exactly is this thread about now? Seems very off topic.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

Kramer

Mod

I agree. Are we done discussing the Windows 8 Task Manager? If not, then let me know and I will re-open the thread.