how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

royhandy

join:2012-11-05
USA

Line Quality test results

I have noticed that Line Quality tests always fail "Low Bandwidth", "Medium Bandwidth", and "Higher Bandwidth" streams. Is this typical for cable connections? Is there some sort of limitation in the equipment that is used by Comcast? I would hate to be looking at that as an issue if, in fact, it is to be expected.

quote:
basic ping
10s of 40 byte packets, 2 per second 0% 52.5ms 54.2ms 61.6ms
pass
low bandwidth stream
10s of 512 byte packets at 56 kbit 70% 53.5ms 55.0ms 64.6ms
fail
medium bandwidth stream
10s of 512 byte packets at 128 kbit 100% -
fail
higher bandwidth stream
10s of 1400 byte packets at 384 kbit 100%

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

The percentage is packet loss (or apparent packet loss anyway) so if it exceeds 2% on the last hop you get a failing grade.
It is not typical of cable to fail, but indicates something between your keyboard and comcast is not responding in a timely manner.
if you computer or router is set to not respond to pings you will fail, if it is too busy to respond due to other tasks you will fail, various clock errors and you will fail, an extremely busy router or one set to discard pings and you may fail.

That test works best after a clean boot with as few other things running as possible (everything from email and undate checkers, to remote backups, streams, and chat should be shutdown) your systems must be set to respond to pings, and once you click START remove your hands from the mouse and keyboard and do NOTHING until results are in.

BTW you can safely share the graphical test results
»/pingtest/623a···/2966921
which are much easier to read and interpret

royhandy

join:2012-11-05
USA

Thanks! I see that your tests all pass. I have my router set to respond to pings since I am currently have smokeping run. I read the "more information" link and it indicates that links with low bandwidth upstream might have issues with the larger packet sizes. They specifically mention 640/90 ADSL, so I don't think bandwidth allocation is the issue.

Thanks again.