Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cigtyme

Premium Member

to cigtyme

Re: [Raiding] World of Logs

Blame Juniper networks for me running late.

I was using SCCM to deploy a laptop but every time the laptop downloaded the wim winpe file via TFTP (a UDP based protocol) the computer came back with boot device inaccessible.

The solution was to bypass the SRX router and connect directly to the server vlan so the juniper router wouldn't corrupt the packets.

as to why we don't just use the layer 3 switches for inter vlan routing, its not up to me and the powers that be refuse to allow that.

so I was stuck in the office for an extra hour and a half.
cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it
join:2010-08-17
Houma, LA

cigtyme

Dark, it wasn't you. I take it personally when we don't have 10 on. I don't know why i take it so seriously, but as GM, when a raid doesn't happen i feel like i let 9 other people down.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Hay lets all just blame juniper together and feed the Sha of Hate.

I've never been happy that we were forced to use juniper.

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica to cigtyme

Premium Member

to cigtyme
Pick a High pop server and get pugs.

Problem solved.

How do you use WoL? Does it have a web interface or is it something you bring up in wow?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to cigtyme

Premium Member

to cigtyme
said by cigtyme:

Dark, it wasn't you. I take it personally when we don't have 10 on. I don't know why i take it so seriously, but as GM, when a raid doesn't happen i feel like i let 9 other people down.

I was at the stone dancing with a gnome

Energystream
Premium Member
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY

Energystream to Antonica

Premium Member

to Antonica
If it hasn't changed in the 6 years, then i believe it is primarily web based. It is recount on steroids, it records EVERYTHING.

Does it still require multiple people to have it to be accurate?

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Ghost > SCCM, for pure simplicity.

WoL is just a client that you run to capture the data, then upload the file to the worldoflogs website and then open the log in their website.

AFAIK it only takes 1 person to 'log' the fight for it to work.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by JB9:

WoL is just a client that you run to capture the data, then upload the file to the worldoflogs website and then open the log in their website.

It only takes one in attendance. One step missing, though, is that while in-game you have to tell WoW to dump combat data to a log file with the command "/combatlog". Once your raid is finished, you just type the same command again to stop the log.

Then you open the client, upload the file to WoL, and the client will usually ask you if you'd like to split the file up and archive and delete the uploaded the file... I recommend letting it do all that. The client doesn't like log files that span multiple days, so editing the file can be a pain. Better just to log the current raid, and upload immediately after the raid.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to JB9

Premium Member

to JB9
said by JB9:

On most fights

I think it might have issues with fights where people get out of combat log range or are phased.

if they're to far (IE Sha or Fear) or phased (Spirit binder) I doubt it remains accurate for any but the one running it on those fights.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by JB9:

On most fights

I think it might have issues with fights where people get out of combat log range or are phased.

if they're to far (IE Sha or Fear) or phased (Spirit binder) I doubt it remains accurate for any but the one running it on those fights.

I know this affects Recount and Skada... but is this really a limitation faced by the WoW client?

also, Skada calculations are closer to WoL calculations where DPS(e) is concerned. So, if you are using Recount in-game, you might feel like WoL is short-changing your dps... it isn't.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Its my understanding they all use the combat log to gather the numbers.

and if you're phased from someone then your combat log can't log them.
clawfury
join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

clawfury

The one thing I don't know how to do with WoL is to merge separate logs of the same fight into one coherent log...can this be done?

Feralmordius
join:2011-01-18

1 recommendation

Feralmordius

said by clawfury:

The one thing I don't know how to do with WoL is to merge separate logs of the same fight into one coherent log...can this be done?

I found this trying to look up how world of logs works with bosses that have different Phases.

»forums.worldoflogs.com/v ··· 2&t=3541

Re: Details of how data is gathered?

Postby cremor » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 am
WoL parses everything that WoW writes to the combat log. But sadly WoW doesn't write any data about players in other phases, e.g. the spirit realm. So to answer your question: Yes, for the Spiritbinder fight only your own data will be complete. Or maybe even your own data is not complete, I don't know how WoW handles things like DoTs that are still ticking on the boss when you switch phases.

Postby cremor » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:06 am
No, there is no way to combine multiple logs.
Other sites tried that before but never got it completely working.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

So just as I thought some fights you can't trust WoL on.

I'm fairly sure that on sha of fear the people that fly to the other add won't get recorded ether.
cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it
Houma, LA

cigtyme

BTW on Spirit pus. When you dot up adds in spirit phase, do they stay on? Or do they drop when u leave???

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I would have to get the next group coming in to look for my dots to know, but I would think they stay but your combat log won't record them anymore.

thus recount/WOL/scada can't record them if the recorder isn't in.
cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it
Houma, LA

cigtyme

I was just asking anyone in general if they know the answer to this

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Problem is it'll be hard to tell, I guess to see you'd have to put a glyphed combustion on one and mark it with a raid marker just as you leave, and leave just as another group comes in.

then the next group could look for the dot.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

there is no reason to believe the dots just disappear from the mobs when you leave the phase. I've died to DoTs in BGs after watching the perp leave the BG

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well I would assume the dot still ticks, but I don't like assuming.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

Dots still tick. I've watched adds die from dots while I was killing the Severer.

The log will not record those dot ticks though. Never been entirely sure why the log gets all phased, but I'm sure that was a technical decision made ages ago.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Maybe someone will make an addon that forms a single log from multiple players.

like WoL but anytime you are in a diff phase than the "master" addon your addon starts and when you return your addon could send data to the "master"

however there are times when no one is in the spirit world so those ticks would not be recorded even then.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

The log files are just *.txt files. If you know the fight, I'm sure you could write up a script that reads the "master" script that pulls out the timestamps that were in a different phase. Then you'd have a master "unphased" log. You run a couple parses on other samples to fill in the "unphased" gaps. But that would only give numbers for the raid outside of the phase. Each person would have to log the fight to capture how they did while in the phased portion of the fight.

this could get busy.

Feralmordius
join:2011-01-18

Feralmordius

Yeah they kinda touched on that also. Basically there was no way to easily combine the logs because of to many variables. Best would have the one logging not go down or out of phase if that possible.

Postby ArcaneMagus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:33 pm
To put it in slightly more detail: Since everybody's computer clock is not exactly in sync, and there is no GUID that is server wide (only specific client wide) for an event, the best you can do is guess as to which events go where in a merged combat log. The WoL creators have decided that the risks of messing it up are not worth the slight gain.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Exactly. You'd have to fix the logfile first... and it would only be a slight gain. I'll admit that not being a dps at heart, I don't care that the log misses out on a minute of your 7minute fight... I just don't. The point of most of the phased portions that I can think of right now is to make them as short as possible.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

1 edit

McBrain to Immer

to Immer
said by Immer:

One step missing, though, is that while in-game you have to tell WoW to dump combat data to a log file with the command "/combatlog". Once your raid is finished, you just type the same command again to stop the log.

Then you open the client, upload the file to WoL, and the client will usually ask you if you'd like to split the file up and archive and delete the uploaded the file... I recommend letting it do all that. The client doesn't like log files that span multiple days, so editing the file can be a pain. Better just to log the current raid, and upload immediately after the raid.

This is archaic advice, Immer...of all people, I figured you'd be up to speed with this. I'll make this jumble of confusion much more simple for everyone reading in 3 simple steps.

Step 1. Download the add-on "Loggerhead" from the curse client.

Step 2. Log into your WoL account, click the client link, and select "Live Log"...it's the button on the right.

Step 3. Zone in to whatever raid instance, and do your thing. Forget about typing "/combatlog"...Loggerhead will automatically start parsing data to your log folder, and automatically stop when you zone out. Live logging will auto-upload your info to WoL in real time for instant results/analysis. No typing slash commands or fumbling around with 87 billion .txt files in your log folder. I can stream radio while I raid, shouldn't I be able to stream my logs, too?

Step 4. (optional) Slay bodies, loot purples, and brag about top 200 rankings.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

The log files are just *.txt files. If you know the fight, I'm sure you could write up a script that reads the "master" script that pulls out the timestamps that were in a different phase. Then you'd have a master "unphased" log. You run a couple parses on other samples to fill in the "unphased" gaps. But that would only give numbers for the raid outside of the phase. Each person would have to log the fight to capture how they did while in the phased portion of the fight.

this could get busy.

I think the easiest way would be restrict the WoL data to own data, and dots when phased

then merge a set with one from each player.
Though might have to just toss the dots that ticked while you were out out the window.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
You forgot step 3.5

Step 3.5. ????
Step 3.6. Profit.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
Is live logging free? Thought that was part of their paid services.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I Live Logged Wednesday and Thursday of this week and haven't paid WoL a dime.