spc
uniqs
Sakki54
join:2012-11-20
Tyler, TX

Sakki54 to S1R1US

to S1R1US

Re: [Connectivity] Terrible Ping during downloads/games

Dl speed goes from 15 down to 2-4 during this time regardless of what I'm doing, and YouTube is insanely slow. Everything else works normally.

S1R1US
join:2002-08-25
Clearwater, FL

S1R1US

Apologies if you mentioned already and I missed it, but which game are you playing and through which device/console on your network?
Sakki54
Tyler, TX

Sakki54

Any Multiplayer game on PC.

S1R1US
Clearwater, FL

S1R1US

You mentioned that even just general downloading (while no gaming is occurring) is impacted between 6:30 and 10:30 right? So tonight between that time you could bypass any external equipment, reset your modem, and run a few speed tests and confidently expect the same consistent poor result?

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

I'm not sure if you understand how a smokeping works Sirius, but it pings to the modem, not your router or computer. With that information alone you can clearly see the latency issue and that it is not her home network.

Sakki, were you able to get ahold of sdl l3tech here on the forums yet?

S1R1US
Clearwater, FL

S1R1US

@moldypickle: Firstly, awesome handle haha. Secondly, even better avatar lol.

I actually only skimmed posted that weren't his. I was asking clarifying questions because often times there are details or order of things that weren't necessarily performed how they were initially explained, or were perceived to have been done but not. A lot of issues can have distractions in the details that appear like they're patterns associated with the problem, when in reality it's a pattern of the user. So for example, I'm most often on the computer between these times as well, 6-10p. If I'm going to notice a problem I'm going to notice it then. It very well could have began much earlier in the day, or doesn't even have a pattern to the times, except when I try using the connection. Also, I like to ask a lot of clarifying questions because eventually I'll get to other things like do you use torrents? Do you have uploads throttled? Do your phones have wifi access? If so, do you have any settings with G+ or Facebook that autosync your photos? etc. I have a problem at least 2-3 times a week when I come home. It turns out it's because my Galaxy S3 literally maxes out my upload bandwidth because any videos I've taken during the day/week are getting synced to my G+ and Facebook accounts. It's all transparent to me because it's happening in the background. Simple fix, but one of those details most will never uncover without asking.
Sakki54
Tyler, TX

Sakki54

Torrents: Rarely
Throttles: None on my end, idk about if Suddenlink is throttling though
Phones: Yes, though the only auto-upload is when my iPhone is plugged in to my computer, which is rare, and it's through Dropbox

I know that it's this specific time as we had all thanksgiving off last week and I pretty much no-lifed Black Ops 2 and this was the only time I had any problems with anything, also I'm going to be away tonight so I can't do any checks but tomorrow I will. How would I bypass the modem, if that's possible. I have phone & net with suddenlink and it comes in as a coaxial and neither my computer nor router can use a coaxial.

@moldypickle I sent him a message but no reply yet.

@jdmm72 Wouldn't a tracert during the problematic time say the same thing?

S1R1US
Clearwater, FL

S1R1US

Okay cool. Torrents can be the devil when it comes to user experience if the connection is getting maxed heh.

As far as throttling by the ISP, I don't know if SL does that or not but if they do I think it's a least safe to say it's not relevant as far as your ping results go. Throttling should just be limiting how much bandwidth you're capable of using. I would think a bad ping is stemming from something else.

I think I've missed something somewhere so I apologize if I'm making you be repetitive. What were you referencing your computer & router not having an actual coax connection for?
Sakki54
Tyler, TX

Sakki54

You asked me to try and bypass the hardware and I was saying I couldn't.

@jdmm72 It's called your 'Local IP Address'. Mine is normally 192.168.1.1 but it switches every now and then between 10.0.0.1 and 172.0.0.1
jdmm72
join:2002-02-12
Cary, NC

jdmm72

said by Sakki54:

@jdmm72 It's called your 'Local IP Address'. Mine is normally 192.168.1.1 but it switches every now and then between 10.0.0.1 and 172.0.0.1

The 10.x.x.x is not on my network, it is on SL's network, it sometimes shows up in traceroutes, but not always. My local is in the 10.x.x.x network but that is after NAT, SL's 10.x.x.x network is before NAT.

S1R1US
Clearwater, FL

S1R1US to Sakki54

to Sakki54
said by shelby10763:

I'd start with your router. Have you connected your PC to directly to the modem and tried replicate the issue?

said by Sakki54:

Yes. It'll do this router or not.

I guess this is where I'm getting thrown off. You mentioned not being able to bypass equipment because your router and computer don't have a coax hookup. Part of the troubleshooting that's been suggested is to eliminate your router as a factor at the very least, but talking about not being able to bypass it somewhat contradicts what you said originally. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.
said by Sakki54:

The modem would be connected to your computer not through coax but ethernet so that shouldn't be an issue. Can you connect your modem directly to your computer for 24-48 hours and report back?
Sakki54
Tyler, TX

Sakki54

When you said bypass equipment I took it as to not use the modem. And I'm 100% sure it's not my router as A) it does this router or not B) it shows 1ms ping to my router on the tracert

S1R1US
Clearwater, FL

2 edits

S1R1US

I don't doubt the router isn't a factor, but as far as troubleshooting goes it's 100 times better to diagnose when a router isn't involved. Your router could be fine but your roommates cell phone could be doing massive updates every time they're home and you not know it. That might not even cause a problem, but just as an example. Having unnecessary devices bypassed is simply the smartest way to start and continue troubleshooting.

In my opinion, replicating the issue while the router is bypassed is great and all, but is not thorough enough. It needs to be left bypassed until the problem is identified. Even if the problem were very clearly outside of your home connection, I still suggest bypassing equipment until the issue is fixed.
said by Sakki54:

@moldypickle I sent him a message but no reply yet.

Any reply from Pete Abel yet? If not, maybe reply publicly letting him know to look out for another new PM from you?

»Review of Suddenlink by Sakki54