share rss forum feed
« good by sprint
This is a sub-selection from What a Missed Opportunity

jc100

join:2002-04-10

1 edit
reply to taraf

Re: What a Missed Opportunity

Contrary to popular belief, neither the fax nor pager are dead. Doctors still have pagers as they can be reached in areas cell phones don't work. Also, some other professionals have pagers, too.

The fax machine is still heavily utilized by the medical industry and corporate world. It's far more secure than email and is a direct person to person contact when sending a document. An email can be "snooped upon" if someone loses their password, etc. Thus, the fax will never be dead.

How many of the general populous uses a face or page? Not many. People still have fax machines (much more than pages), for the above reason though.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Until you can come up with a Fax over IP system that's as easy as laying down a stack of paper, hitting 10 numbers, the start button, and walk away Faxing not going anywhere. I've yet to install a VoIP circuit where I didn't have to configure t38 so their faxing will work.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Well..... many printers in a business environment can scan to email. I would say that is a pretty good replacement for the fax system and it pretty much eliminates the use of additional paper.

hamburglar_

join:2002-04-29
united state

Unless you have sensitive information in the documents. Once they are in your email, they are much less secure.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to battleop

Even then, fax is more secure. Provided you are following safe data handling internally, you dont have to worry about a compromise or a 3rd party snooping (unless they are tapping your phone line.) With email it is going all over the place and anyone in between could be poking around your message.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to hamburglar_

You can use many encryption methods with email and the contents of them.

Sending a fax to another fax machine that is typically setup in a general office location to be shared by many not only opens your fax up to a much bigger potential audience but it also leaves a paper trail that then has to be properly disposed of. And you consider that to be more secure?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by Skippy25:

You can use many encryption methods with email and the contents of them.

Sending a fax to another fax machine that is typically setup in a general office location to be shared by many not only opens your fax up to a much bigger potential audience but it also leaves a paper trail that then has to be properly disposed of. And you consider that to be more secure?

Perhaps, but it's much easier for an email to be intercepted, not to mention the fact that it happens to reside on servers that service thousands of users.

Additionally, encrypting email is not something most email clients do natively, especially from a copy machine, and require significant extra steps. These steps aren't likely to be handled well by administrative assistants.

There is a reason the government and corporate industry still use fax machines.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to hamburglar_

said by hamburglar_:

Unless you have sensitive information in the documents. Once they are in your email, they are much less secure.

There is no reason why you can not encrypt the eFax file before mailing it as an attachment. The major problem with emailing a Fax file as opposed to doing a direct Fax-Machine to Fax-Machine connection is that you have no way to know that the message arrived. This is the same "problem" as sending ANY email message - you know it was sent but have no way of knowing if/when it arrived.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

Well..... many printers in a business environment can scan to email. I would say that is a pretty good replacement for the fax system and it pretty much eliminates the use of additional paper.

You took the words out of my mouth. The technology is EASILY implimented yet people still stand by the fax.. sorry, but the fax IS dead. I've used many brother MFC machines that work just as a fax.. but instead of a phone number you enter an email address.. pretty simple. Saves on toner, paper, and any other dial tone expenses.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to sk1939

Nothing can "guarantee" that the person on the other end of the fax is the intended recipient either.. There is always inherit risk. Not to mention, many of these government and corps that you speak of still use a fax to email gateway anyway. Kinda blows that theory out.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to sk1939

I work for a financial company and I can assure you if faxing was safer than email, at any level, then that would be our required method of communication. Many clients flat out require encrypted email and files as the only method of communications. So either our multi-billion dollar worldwide firmalong with a bunch of other billion dollar companies are setup by a bunch of morons and I am wrong or it is the other way around.

theeinstein
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Fernandina Beach, FL

Lets just be clear...simply working for a financial company doesn't make you more secure... I have on numerous accounts had to stop multiple "financial institutions" from sending my data via email. People are extremely lazy and poorly trained so unless the institution has put in place a policy and method to scan emails looking for secure data and stop it...its still happening.

People are lazy and ignorant.. point blank..