Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 edit

TheBionic

Premium Member

Far Cry 3

Hits the States Tuesday. I hadn't really been following this game but the buzz online has made me a believer. A huge open world with tons to do and great shooting/stealth mechanics. The PC version is, by all accounts, the best version. I preordered and preloaded last night. Anyone else interested?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· nOVJsCsM

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· QAkoue6w

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Far Cry 2 was boring and repetitive with no replay value but pretty. It was like Assassins Creed 1.

Hopefully it's more dynamic in game play.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to TheBionic

MVM

to TheBionic
I liked Far Cry 2 but it was repetitive. The thing I hated the most about that game was the fact that the enemy outposts on the map just kept respawning with new bad guys all the time. I spent time clearing out all these areas only to find them fully respawned later. Seems that I had to stop to clear out 3 of these things everytime I wanted to do a mission, which was just dumb.

I am interested in Far Cry 3 but I am going to wait for more reviews. I may pick it up around Christmas when it goes on sale on Steam.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

Far Cry 2 was boring and repetitive with no replay value but pretty. It was like Assassins Creed 1.

Hopefully it's more dynamic in game play.

I watched quite a few videos last night with reviewers who have already played, and it's getting pretty good ink. From all accounts there is a ton to do and it's hard to stick to one thing as distractions keep popping up all over the place. There are tons of animals to hunt and plants to gather (a la Red Dead Redemption) whose mats you then craft into better gear. You open up areas on the map by climbing and hacking radio towers (a la AC). There are set challenges on the map that include sniping, racing, hunting, etc. (a la GTA). The graphics and facial animations on PC are supposed to be top notch. The story is reportedly very good too. I heard a conservative estimate of completing the story at 30 hours, but the side quests are supposed to be just as good if not better.

The reviews I saw say the co-op campaign and multiplayer are kind of generic and meh, but I'm buying it for the campaign.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
I've never played any of the Far Cry games. I'm interested in trying this one out.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
Beyond flying a plane around I didn't care much for 2. I do like what's being said about 3 but, then again, they said the same things about 2.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
I loved Far Cry, really disliked Far Cry2, I'll wait for real reviews on Far Cry3 before dropping a cent on it.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by EUS:

I loved Far Cry, really disliked Far Cry2, I'll wait for real reviews on Far Cry3 before dropping a cent on it.

I hear you, I never buy anything sight unseen, but I'm the opposite on reviewers. "Real" reviews for me come from the guys on Youtube, regular guys who play and then broadcast their thoughts. I can't stand IGN or the like...devs could release a dog turd in a box, call it Call of Duty 5, and it would get a 9.8. 'Real' reviewers loved Far Cry 2...

Either way the reviews are all out, whatever you consider 'real'. The game dropped in Europe this week, everyone has played it and published their reviews. It's at 91 on Metacritic.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

By 'real review' I meant pretty much how you spelled it out.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Ah gotcha, I misunderstood. There are a lot out there, if you're interested.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to TheBionic

to TheBionic
Done bought the game a long time ago, having my fingers crossed that MP will atleast let me play online or get connected to the servers some how.
I gotta wait exactly 10 days from today till i get a copy.. Hope someones having fun shooting up Vaas(:

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to TheBionic

Mod

to TheBionic
Games aren't worth buying until 3 or 4 months after release because of all the patches.

Why pay $60 for a new game that is buggy and broken when you can wait some time, pay less and have a solid product?

Like I just picked up Saints Row 3 for $11 for steam and Assassins Creed Revelations for super cheap too.

I'll probably get GTA 5 and Hitman Absolution when it's $30 or something.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Mike:

Games aren't worth buying until 3 or 4 months after release because of all the patches.

Why pay $60 for a new game that is buggy and broken when you can wait some time, pay less and have a solid product?

I remember people saying that about Skyrim when it released. Supposedly it was bad on PC. Really buggy and played like crap for most people.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to Mike

to Mike
said by Mike:

You got a very good point, and i'm actually thinking of waiting till all the new copies are done and sold, maybe those copies have bugs (like you said) but I done paid for mine already, but thats mainly because i like the company a whole lot. When Far cry 2 was released i gave it about 2 months or so and got it, few weeks later i was playing it for hours, GFX were'nt the only thing i liked but mostly how they set it up, eventually after sometime I lost the feeling of the game.. But still its a great game imo, just not as good as most other newer games these days.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Skyrim was one of the few games I bought early on as a new release. IMHO the bugginess was greatly exaggerated.
But in general, I wait a few months as well, if not a year. Sometimes one of the most telling aspects if a game is any good or not is how quickly it hits the $5 bin.
Or I browse this forum to see how quickly everyone bores of the game.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
Why does the main guy wear eyeliner? Is this a wannabe gay Jack Sparrow protagonist?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
Far Cry 1 was great, but I really never intended to play Far Cry 3.
Then I bought a video card that came with a free copy, so I guess I'll at least go through the campaign when it's released.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Why does the main guy wear eyeliner? Is this a wannabe gay Jack Sparrow protagonist?

I think you mean Vaas, he's the antagonist...and I dunno...maybe he feels pretty?

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

LOL.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by Krisnatharok:

I think you mean Vaas, he's the antagonist...and I dunno...maybe he feels pretty?

Vaas is what people would call... eccentric... and batsh|t crazy.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

said by Goggalor:

said by TheBionic:

said by Krisnatharok:

Vaas is what people would call... eccentric... and batsh|t crazy.

Hmmm, I'm reminded of something else that wears eye liner and is generally batshit insane... Can't quite put my finger on it...

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by IamGimli:

Hmmm, I'm reminded of something else that wears eye liner and is generally batshit insane... Can't quite put my finger on it...

You leave Brittany alone! *sobs uncontrollably whilst filming himself under a sheet*

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to TheBionic

to TheBionic

Changed my mind.

Earlier in this thread i said that I had pre ordered a copy, well after a few hours of looking it over I found out somethings. I found out very quickly that there is no such thing as LAN play (like FC2 had) this disables me from testing my maps that I made. Another thing, there are certain things that you can put into your MP maps like all vehicles, AI, weapons, etc. Then later I find out that aumo piles are ALSO disabled from putting into the MP maps, this is a huge problem. Something else I found out is nearly everything in the map editor is completely indestructible, in FC2 every single item in the map editor could be broken or shattered and none of this differs between testing/playing it in map editor and solo play or SP mode, this makes it very difficult to have fun with such as with jumpmaps or just breaking stuff.

It don't seem quite too right when you're shooting through an unbroken glassed window, and after shooting atleast 500 bullets straight into the glass window and areas around it and the window, the glass still does not break however after 2 bullets have fired through it, the rest can go straight through it, while the window is still not shattered. My bad if i ruined it for some of you FC fans spirit out there but I don't like playing a game where it plays like COD games, I am heavily a NON COD fan due to the fact that gameplay is too far ridiculous, GFX look ridiculous and the entire game is just too far from my kind, atleast you can have a good machete fight in a custom made map however. Its just like someone whipped up a cake in just 3 seconds but forgot atleast 10 ingredients. I don't like buying games that some company just made up in a week and threw it out and expect people to actually buy it however if i do buy it (like i did with FC2) then I return the game and get my money back.. I most certainly don't buy games blind folded, especially these types.

Like I have said to my friend- i'm done buying games of anykind, i'm an old type gamer, theres alot of old type gamers out there and i'm one of those.. New gaming Gen. Goodbye!

One other thing, UBI might not fix all these problems, its because they start on very quickly another new game, and you will be playing on the old UBI servers so this means not very much stuff will get fixed, nor will gameplay be very fun. Right now the servers are constantly crashing, in 2 months gameplay will be laggy in MP, i just don't see how fun it will be even after 5 months.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

lol

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
said by diablo18926:

Changed my mind.....so I pirated a copy instead.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to TheBionic

to TheBionic

Re: Far Cry 3

Should I share my product key to prove i have it??
primeomega
join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI

primeomega to TheBionic

to TheBionic
As a side note - been playing the game for a few days. If you have a Nvidia card, get the new drivers (beta). I was having poor FPS with the game (670x2 sli setup). The new drivers fixed this, and it runs like a champ.

310.64 is what I use now.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

Yea i use Nvidia, game works great surprisingly.. I mainly like the SP mode way more than i do the MP mode because of all those issues i listed above, not being able to put aumo piles in custom make maps has got to be a big mistake thats for sure.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

From what I can tell (and I haven't played the game yet, just going by reviews) the MP mode feels tacked on but the world exploration and the ~ 30 hour SP campaign are really good. Most of the coverage I've seen has barely mentioned multiplayer and when it does it's like 'yeah...it has mutliplayer...' meh.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
The more I read about this game, the more I want to play it.

Metacritic reviews seem very positive to down right glorifying. People are saying it's got an awesome story line (unheard of for most FPS games) a lot of RPG elements with crafting, gathering, and exploring.

»www.metacritic.com/game/ ··· tems=100