uniqs

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

[Help] Insurance, Write Offs, and keeping/fixing the car anyways

Alright - little back story here; my Father hit a deer earlier this week on his way to work... No one was hurt, but he didn't call me in time to come get the deer, either...

Now, onto the part I need some guidance with:

There's moderate damage to his car, an '02 VW Jetta TDI. Right headlight, grill, hood, right front fender, mirror, door skin... Certainly repairable, but the deer went right down the side of the car, and f'd up everything it touched to some extent or another.

He called his insurance, took it to their body shop, got an estimate of around $4.5k...

Book on the car ( '02 Jetta TDI, standard, high miles - it's a commuter car) is between 3 and 5, depending who you ask; so it's almost certainly going to be a write-off... Expect to get the official word from the insurance company today or Monday.

He wants to keep and fix the car anyways; he's only got a couple years until retirement - but currently he pounds on the miles... He'd rather not do that to a new(er) car, or take on a car payment, if he can avoid it.

I've never been in this position, so I'm looking to you all for some help - it's always been clear cut for me in the past - either the car's beyond repair, and is written off; or is repaired by insurance... I've never been in this 'in between' position before.

What's the insurance company likely to say, when he tells them he wants it fixed, rather then written off? Are we going to have to get into the whole salvage title thing, or are they going to offer a settlement for the car, or ???

Oh, and it's in Ontario, Canada; because I know it matters...
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Re: [Help] Insurance, Write Offs, and keeping/fixing the car any

I would suggest taking the insurance money and buying another 10 year-old car. Makes more sense than putting additional money out of pocket to fix the old car.

For that matter, take the insurance company money, add the extra money he would have spent to fix the old car, and buy a better used car.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to LazMan

MVM

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

There's moderate damage to his car, an '02 VW Jetta TDI. Right headlight, grill, hood, right front fender, mirror, door skin... Certainly repairable, but the deer went right down the side of the car, and f'd up everything it touched to some extent or another.

Did it mess with the frame or unibody (whichever it has) or is it all superficial body panel damage? Same question for steering and suspension. A cursory look at things may not be enough to reveal the real damage that can't be repaired or makes it economically a bad thing to do.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Fair question - totally cosmetic. Drives fine, no pulls or anything to indicate 'deeper' problems; and the sheet metal damage isn't that deep, just a lot of panels involved...

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
I have an old Aerostar that has the driver's side bashed in on it. The cost to repair was more than the van was worth so I just took the money. I use it for hauling trash, local errands and as an emergency vehicle or "loaner" when my 'good' car is in for maintenance. So, I know the situation.

My guess is that the insurance company will write it off and give you a check for the amount it feels the car is worth, possibly subtracting salvage value if your dad wants to keep the car.

If you're sure the care is in otherwise good mechanical shape, no expensive scheduled maintenance (timing belts, CV joints etc), there's no structural damage and he doesn't mind driving around in what looks like a beater, see if you can get a body shop to fix the most obvious damage for the money. Maybe a body shop can pull out the dents, sand and repaint cracks and scrapes(or you do the paint) and not bother with details. It won't look pretty, but might be acceptable to you.

Otherwise, my vote is to find another used vehicle. Whoever buys the VW could use it for a fishin', huntin' and beer run car. It would still look awesome with a ten point buck strapped to the roof - poetic justice!

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Part of the reason he want to keep it is that he just put a good amount of money in... New timing belt, clutch, brakes and tires, all within the last 12 months or so. Always the way, isn't it!

And you're onto something with the buck-on-hood deal... Falls into the 'Karma's a bitch" category...

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to LazMan

to LazMan

Unfortunately he won't recoup any recent investment value in the form of repairs, so as noted, if it is structurally sound it wouldn't be that bad of a deal to keep it.

I would suggest getting the front end alignment checked at minimum, as that is easily thrown out of whack in car/deer confrontations. Another thing is to make sure the insurance company will continue to cover it for liability. I am thinking they will, but better find out on that first rather than after the fact that you have an un-insurable car.

As for fixing it, if it is just to be used for the commute then save the money for something else. It will add no value to the car.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

No one was hurt

Does the deer share your characterization of the incident?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to mattmag

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

Unfortunately he won't recoup any recent investment value in the form of repairs,

My wife's car had brand new tires (<2000 miles) on it when she totalled it. The insurance company gave me an extra $100 or $125 to help compensate.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to LazMan

MVM

to LazMan
Fix it with parts from the wreckers.

Parts should be relatively plentiful for that.

What is the mileage?

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

About 300,000 km - so like 190,000 miles...

Panel swapping from the wreckers won't be an issue; a buddy of mine has a body shop, so blowing a coat of paint afte isn't an issue... It's more dealing with the insurance that's uncharted waters for me.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
I've kept a few vehicles that the insurance company said were a total loss. They deduct salvage value and cut you a check for the remainder. You keep the vehicle. If you can produce receipts for the extra work that was done within the last year that typically will increase the value of the vehicle. Without receipts to show what you paid for the work it's less likely that they'll increase the payout.

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to LazMan

to LazMan
The insurance carrier will give you a buy back value if you want to keep it and they will just reduce the payoff by that amount from the amount they would have paid you. Based on that you can decide if the cost of your repairing it makes sense.

Two years ago when my 1988 5 Litre Mustang was hit from behind while parked and totaled I could have bought it back for $200.00 and still collected $4,500 from Insurance. I was thinking about parting it out since the engine and transmission were not damaged and I had changed out the original 1988 wheels with 1992 version. In the end I decided I didn't have time to be bothered finding buyers and arranging removal so I just took the extra $200.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by bmilone2:

The insurance carrier will give you a buy back value if you want to keep it and they will just reduce the payoff by that amount from the amount they would have paid you. Based on that you can decide if the cost of your repairing it makes sense.

Agree, most insurance companies will let you buy the car back as stated above. But you usually end up with a salvage or rebuilt title afterwards.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
Insurance company will offer a price to total it and take the vehicle. They will likely have a buy-back price too which will be less. He could keep the car and get some cash from the insurance company as a result. It will have a salvage title and insuring it again may be difficult. If he had full coverage the insurance company may decline to offer full coverage on a salvage. Each company is different.

edit:
As a sidenote, I had paid $1200 to put brand new higher-end tires on our 2006 Kia literally days before it was totaled. I feel your pain on that. I asked if I could pull the tires to at least try to recoup something from them. "Nope". They had less than 100 miles on them.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

said by psafux:

II had paid $1200 to put brand new higher-end tires on our 2006 Kia literally days before it was totaled.

Ouch.
I didn't know it was possible to spend 1200 on tires for a Kia.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
said by Beezel:

Agree, most insurance companies will let you buy the car back as stated above. But you usually end up with a salvage or rebuilt title afterwards.

The title never changes hands, so there is no opportunity for it to get modified. I've owned 3 vehicles that were "totalled" by insurance, but since I already had possession of the title then nothing on the title changed.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by HarryH3:

The title never changes hands, so there is no opportunity for it to get modified. I've owned 3 vehicles that were "totalled" by insurance, but since I already had possession of the title then nothing on the title changed.

I've worked for carriers where we were required to obtain the title and mail it to the DMV to be changed (not often... and a real pain) but more times I've been required to obtain an salvage document from the owner that is sent into the DMV to have the title changed.

States _require_ insurance companies to do this if the damages are 100% or more (sometimes if it's 80% or more) but I've also worked for many carriers that did not do this.

While the title does not need to change hands, the paperwork could be filled out by the carrier and turned into the DMV without it.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to LazMan

to LazMan
That's why I said usually.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
I was dating someone who went through this with an old car in Toronto.

If he does the buy back and repairs the vehicle, it will have to go through a safety before the government will allow it to be insured / plated again. If he's got other mechanical problems with it that weren't from the accident, they could make it so that it wouldn't pass the safety. In the end he might be better off taking the money.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Insurance took their sweet ass time, but word came in today... It's now officially written off.

Waiting for the dollars and cents part - their offer, and the buy-back price, to see if it makes sense...

Thanks for the advice and info so far...

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to psafux

Premium Member

to psafux
said by psafux:

As a sidenote, I had paid $1200 to put brand new higher-end tires on our 2006 Kia literally days before it was totaled. I feel your pain on that. I asked if I could pull the tires to at least try to recoup something from them. "Nope". They had less than 100 miles on them.

Same thing happened with my 2005 Corolla. Spent about the same amount too! About 2 weeks after getting new tires an unlicensed and uninsured moron blew thru a red light at about 30-35MPH and hit the car, totaling it.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Happened to me. Insurance company gave me an extra $100 because of the new tires. Better than nothing.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Insurance took their sweet ass time, but word came in today... It's now officially written off.

Waiting for the dollars and cents part - their offer, and the buy-back price, to see if it makes sense...

Around here if it's a total loss the title will be marked as salvage before they pay if you want to keep it. That means you will have to go through a re-inspection of the car in order to be able to register it again. IMHO not worth it.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

Was rear ended in an old farm truck - 79 Chev P.U. in Oregon. Settled with Insurance and kept truck. Insurance stamped title salvage or such.

Went to DMV, they came out looked at it, we went back in and they did the processing for a new Title. They probably spent less than 2 minutes looking at the Truck. Never even looked underneath.

Each State is different. We do not have Vehicle Inspections like other State's do. Washington State is the same. In both States there are only some Counties one only has to pass DEQ for Emissions and Noise every 2 or so years.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by hortnut:

Was rear ended in an old farm truck - 79 Chev P.U. in Oregon. Settled with Insurance and kept truck. Insurance stamped title salvage or such.

Went to DMV, they came out looked at it, we went back in and they did the processing for a new Title. They probably spent less than 2 minutes looking at the Truck. Never even looked underneath.

My wife had a '90 Geo Prizm that was hit. Hood, front quarter panel and door damaged, they totaled the car. Had it fixed for about $600 less than what the insurance paid, but only because it had fairly new radiator, exhaust, starter, battery, windshield, tires...
Went to the DMV, they put it on the ramp, tested from fuel cap and exhaust to lights and brakes. They requested receipts for all the replaced parts (which I had because the mechanic told me I'd need them). Failed because of an oil spot on the engine and a broken door seal. Had to go again after fixing the issues, and passed.
Would I do it again? Nope.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

Based on your experience, would agree. And that sucks, given the work that you did. And having to then go through all the trouble of fixing things again and another inspection.

In my case I just went to one of the DMV's near me, parked it in the lot [there are no 'special' places, ramps or lifts]. The employee just walked around the Truck. No turning on lights, opening hood, doors, or anything.

It did have a Canopy that was damaged in the accident, along with the bed. The bumper was tweaked, so used chain, come-a-long and tree to straighten it out. Took Canopy off and got a used bed.