share rss forum feed

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to dellsweig

Re: Ubuntu 12 wlan driver issue

You should see something like in r8168.ko /etc/initramfs-tools/modules The filename will vary depending on which card you have. Edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and add a line with "r8168" on it.
sudo depmod -a
sudo update-initramfs -v -u -k `uname -r`

I'm scraping these instructions from »ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1992200 Reading through that may be helpful.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1
said by Maxo:

You should see something like in r8168.ko /etc/initramfs-tools/modules The filename will vary depending on which card you have. Edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and add a line with "r8168" on it.
sudo depmod -a
sudo update-initramfs -v -u -k `uname -r`

I'm scraping these instructions from »ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1992200 Reading through that may be helpful.

Only issue is that this appears to be related to the ethernet adapter - not a usb wireless adapter
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
It shouldn't be that much different. The same idea is there. There's a module that needs to be activated on boot. You'll need to hunt down which module it is, but once you know which is the right module the instructions should activate it.
It's been a long time since I've ran into someone needing to manually compile a module, and others here probably have more experience than me, but these instructions are what I remember doing.

Edit: Use sudo lspci -v to get a list of loaded modules. You can run this before and after compiling the module to see what new one shows up.

--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
said by Maxo:

It shouldn't be that much different. The same idea is there. There's a module that needs to be activated on boot. You'll need to hunt down which module it is, but once you know which is the right module the instructions should activate it.
It's been a long time since I've ran into someone needing to manually compile a module, and others here probably have more experience than me, but these instructions are what I remember doing.

Edit: Use sudo lspci -v to get a list of loaded modules. You can run this before and after compiling the module to see what new one shows up.

Followed the steps using the .ko that was built for my driver - rebooted - still no wireless - as before - if I rebuild driver I have wireless until next reboot
--

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
I wonder if there is another module interfering with it. Since that didn't work someone more familiar with module loading will need to help.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

1 recommendation

said by Maxo:

I wonder if there is another module interfering with it. Since that didn't work someone more familiar with module loading will need to help.

Found it

did a modprobe for the driver (it was already loaded in the kernel) and now all is good

THANKS
--