spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brian19876

@verizon.net

upgrade to 75/35 and linksys router

i upgraded my speed to 75/35 on fios if i use just the action tec router i get 85/35 but when i set back up with my Lan to wan config with my own linksys wrt54g router I cant seem to more than 29 /22.

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
kudos:1

From which router? Wired, wireless, or both?

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to brian19876

There are few routers that will support the speeds that FiOS provides, especially if they are older then lets say a year or two (or just inexpensive period).

Also, removing the Actiontec will disable your boxes from receiving program guide information, caller ID information, video on demand, widgets, etc.

brian19876

@nauticom.net

Connection wired. I still use the action tech just second in line. Do you need a gigabyte router to get 75/35 the old action tech router I don't think is a gigabyte router

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Having the WRT54G as your primarily router will limit you to around 35/35 (or less depending on firmware). It just cannot route any faster than that.

Put the Actiontec first and change the WRT54G into a switch if you need to, then you'll see full speed. No gigabit router necessary.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

brian19876

@nauticom.net

The reason I don't use the action tech first it had caused problems seem to get slow over time and cased problems when patching games like wow that use p2p for patching. Do you have any suggestions for a better router

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

If you're using the LAN to WAN configuration to hook up your Actiontec, then the Actiontec is still doing routing and should have all the same problems you mentioned - but obviously it isn't.

Switch back to the Actiontec for awhile. If you notice problems, then buy a new router. There are plenty of threads around here about router recommendations - depends on your needs.
--

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to brian19876

said by brian19876 :

The reason I don't use the action tech first it had caused problems seem to get slow over time and cased problems when patching games like wow that use p2p for patching. Do you have any suggestions for a better router

What version of the actiontec are you using? If you have the latest version you really shouldnt be seeing any issues like you may have seen with older, earlier versions.

brian19876

@msanet.com
reply to Thinkdiff

Im going form the lan of my linksys to wan of action tec so the linksys is doing the routing

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

No. Both routers are doing routing in your setup, unless you've mangled the configuration of the Actiontec is some way to get the WAN port bridged with the LAN ports.

The Linksys is routing from your public IP space to your internal LAN 1 (lets say 192.168.x.0/24). Then your Actiontec is routing from 192.168.x.0/24 to 192.168.y.0/24 (internal LAN 2). It's double-NAT'd. Your Actiontec doesn't know the difference between routing from the public IP space or 192.168.x.0 space. It performs exactly the same in either case.

All the Linksys router is doing in your setup is ruining your throughput.
--

brian19876

@msanet.com

yes i guess both are doing routing but the action tec is just routing the stbs nothing is connected to the lan ports on the action tec my computers are on the linksys

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

I see. Then you're correct that for your computer traffic, it's only passing through the linksys.

I'd still recommend trying out the Actiontec router again for awhile before dropping some cash on a new router. Do you know what Revision it is? It should say on the bottom of the router.
--

brian19876

@msanet.com

rev c

Nu2FiOS

join:2012-11-07
Washington, DC
reply to brian19876

Sorry to butt in. I just need to understand this.

said by RolteC:

removing the Actiontec will disable your boxes from receiving program guide information, caller ID information, video on demand, widgets, etc.

Why do I need the Actiontec for the guide, VOD, etc.? In my installation, the coax from the ONT is split 3 ways. 2 of them go to two Cisco DVRs and one goes to the Actiontec. I can unplug or turn off the Actiontec and it won’t affect the TV functions. Am I missing something here?

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

The guide data stays loaded in the stbs. You will not get updates to the guides nor access to VOD and some widgets functions. Try turning off the router then accessing VOD. won't work.

Nu2FiOS

Washington, DC
reply to brian19876

Not at home for the weekend, but I will try when I get home.
However, not arguing but I still don't understand:
(#1) The STB and the Actiontec is NOT connected to each other at all, so how do the STB and the Actiontech communicate with each other?
(#2) Since my internet is provisioned through coax - not Ethernet - out of the ONT, so with the coax connected to the STB, it will have internet access to get guide update, VOD, etc, right? Why the need for the Actiontech.
(#3) What if I only get single play FiOS TV service only? Are you saying that they will still hook up the Actioneach for me in order for it to work?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

1) The STBs need to access the internet for certain functions (guide data, VOD, etc). They do this using MOCA LAN (ethernet over coax) on the LAN side of the router. For MOCA LAN to work, the Actiontec must be connected to your coax network along with your STBs.

2) MOCA WAN is used between the ONT and the Actiontec. This is on a different frequency from MOCA LAN. The STBs can not receive the MOCA WAN signal. They get their internet connection through the router as mentioned in #1.

3) Yes, you will still get an Actiontec router. With TV only, the Actiontec's WAN connection will be restricted to VZ's internal network. i.e. guide data and VOD servers are accessible, but no general access to the internet.

Read the FAQs. There's a lot of information available on MOCA and using your own router.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Nu2FiOS

Washington, DC
reply to brian19876

Very clear explanations, More Fiber. I understand it now. Thanks.