Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to ssavoy

Premium Member

to ssavoy

Re: Tarnished Name

Look in your history books and AT&T/Bell System had a monopoly on wireline telephone service like Comcast and Verizon have a duopoly on high speed Internet today.

If US District Court judge Harrold Greene would have not been brave enough to break up Bell System, they would probably have a monopoly on cell phone service as well.
Brigrat
join:2003-09-01
Waxhaw, NC

Brigrat

I have lived all over the country and never even had Comcast or Verizon as an option for high speed internet...hardly a duopoly...

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
"they would probably have a monopoly on cell phone service as well."

If we were lucky enough to have it at a reasonable price...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

If US District Court judge Harrold Greene would have not been brave enough to break up Bell System, they would probably have a monopoly on cell phone service as well.

Brave judge? I think not. Case was filed by DoJ. AT&T chose "consent" over battle because consent removed the barrier to AT&T entry into the computer business; i.e., AT&T agreed to be broken up because they saw an advantage to doing so. Where is the "courage" in that?
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

This is correct info that few people know. Several other big companies were in the same boat but won their cases. The AT&T name was bought by the baby bell SBC for PR reasons after AT&T went bankrupt.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by WhatNow:

This is correct info that few people know. Several other big companies were in the same boat but won their cases. The AT&T name was bought by the baby bell SBC for PR reasons after AT&T went bankrupt.

I am trying to find the bankruptcy filing for AT&T. It appears that AT&T took a hit when Worldcom filed for bankruptcy, but ...

It seems that Cingular Wireless, the joint SBC-Bellsouth venture, bought the "AWEful" AT&T TDMA network, but AT&T had retained the right to the "AT&T Wireless" name. This put Cingular in a poor competitive position.

I suppose "PR" is the short of it. But SBC re-branded as AT&T, then bought Bellsouth on the heels of the AT&T buyout. I'd guess that then SBC CEO, Ed Whitacre, wanted the whole shebang: 100% control of Cingular (SBC-Bellsouth merger) and the AT&T Wireless brand.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

said by NormanS:

said by WhatNow:

I am trying to find the bankruptcy filing for AT&T. It appears that AT&T took a hit when Worldcom filed for bankruptcy, but ...

I don't think you'll find one. I don't recall AT&T ever filing for bankruptcy. They were getting close, tho.
said by NormanS:

I suppose "PR" is the short of it.

My take has always been SBC figured to kill two birds with one stone: Lose the bad image they had and gain the cachet of being "AT&T."

And it worked, after a fashion. Many, perhaps most, non-TelCom people I talked to thought AT&T had bought SBC, et al. Of course, eventually people figured it out, because SBC didn't actually change anything except their name.
said by NormanS:

But SBC re-branded as AT&T, then bought Bellsouth on the heels of the AT&T buyout.

Close. SBC re-branded itself as "AT&T," then bought-out BellSouth's share of Cingular and renamed it "AT&T Wireless," then borged BellSouth.

Jim

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

I still encounter people who think that AT&T bought SBC. And SBC was probably the worst of the "Baby Bells" ... except for the Pacific Telesis Group.