All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

[E-mail] Suddenlinks POP Email Server is down.....

no surprise here, their server has been down for 12 hours I believe...

really wish they would fix it!

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

Yea,I noticed that this morning....

unacceptable
@mycingular.net

unacceptable to Cobra11M

Anon

to Cobra11M
I am surprised at how long this is taking to be resolved. Is there any way to get information about what the problem is and an eta?
jdmm72
join:2002-02-12
Cary, NC

jdmm72 to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M
Love the acceptance of responsibility. OUR VENDER is having trouble with YOUR EMAIL....

Sorry

Our vendor is experiencing technical difficulties with your email platform and is working closely with our technical leadership teams to resolve the issue.We apologize for the inconvenience and will not rest until service is fully restored.

Please try again later.

In 12 hours, they could have had another system built, inplace and ready to go.

WEEDmon
El Loco
join:2007-04-26
Greenville, NC

WEEDmon to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M
Yeah the same is going on with me also. Tried checking my e-mail this morning and wouldn't work. Checked again this afternoon and still not working. Hope they get it up and running again soon. It sucks not being able to check my e-mail messages.

Zorack
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M
So suddenlink contracts their email server out and not a in house email servers? I'm probably thinking their actual servers gave up the ghost and they don't know how to do redundancy... LOL
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72 to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M
That is the message when you try to log into email from their webpage. Luckily, I have email hosted by me in my name with my company's domain.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Wait.... people still use isp based pop3 accounts?! O.o

wow, lmao
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72

My mother still uses AOL, not even her ISP anymore.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Oh dear lord, my boss at work still has his AOL account too. $25 on top of cable bill

Zorack
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M

"Email Temporarily Unavailable
We are experiencing technical difficulties with email service and our leadership team is working diligently to resolve the issue in conjunction with our technology partners, Oracle, Symantec, and Openwave. We apologize for the inconvenience and will not rest until service is fully restored.
Please try again later."

Looks like they probably got hacked and either a virus or worse corrupted their servers(Databases I bet fubared and I laugh at them using Symantec).
Cobra11M
Mineral Wells, TX

1 edit

Cobra11M

said by Zorack:

"Email Temporarily Unavailable
We are experiencing technical difficulties with email service and our leadership team is working diligently to resolve the issue in conjunction with our technology partners, Oracle, Symantec, and Openwave. We apologize for the inconvenience and will not rest until service is fully restored.
Please try again later."

Looks like they probably got hacked and either a virus or worse corrupted their servers(Databases I bet fubared and I laugh at them using Symantec).

haha prob right, and Symantec is a joke.. we all know this but anyways im surprised its almost been 24 hours and nothing...

I personally wouldn't mind to much if I didn't have that email tied to family and all, also its my bday and I cant access the most important things... their was certain emails I look out for but ha looks like im just gonna have to wait..

on a side note I hate google, outlook, yahoo (big time) and icloud.. each one of those require extra steps if you forget the pass.. this one your can reset with your account number...
Sludge
join:2001-04-08
Greenville, NC

Sludge

Happy Birthday Cobra11M

Gail K
@suddenlink.net

Gail K to Cobra11M

Anon

to Cobra11M
It really is annoying. Thanks for the info.
Cobra11M
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to Sludge

to Sludge
said by Sludge:

Happy Birthday Cobra11M

thank yah
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to Gail K

to Gail K
and it is.. its not to much to ask for a service such as email.. especially when they only give u so much space on it compared to the bigger companies..

Suddenlink got it back up it seems but now I'm madder than heck cause I'm missing so many emails from today!... go figure..

Edit: nvm they still have it down.. the pop server is some what working

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

while the pop might be down, are you able to webmail into it?

Happy birthday btw

Chubbzie
@suddenlink.net

Chubbzie to Cobra11M

Anon

to Cobra11M
Fantastic, its now accessible and operational and completely missing any emails, preferences, folders, etc prior to late yesterday (the 30th). I hope they are working on a method of restoration...

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

That I know of, there is no way to restore missed emails as they should just be returned to sender undeliverable.
jdmm72
Cary, NC

jdmm72 to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M
Webmail was down too, that's where I got that message about YOUR email and THEIR email vender. According to them, not their fault.

Chubbzie
@suddenlink.net

Chubbzie to moldypickle

Anon

to moldypickle
Oh, I was referring to previously server stored emails, folders, archives, etc. Yeah I would be highly impressed if a mailer daemon received an undeliverable response and queued it for redelivery 12 hours later... that'd be a massively almost constant queue.

Now what we customers need is an explanation as to what occurred. With all the exploitations, breaches, and personal data theft taking place these days that is definitely something to be concerned about.
payter9
join:2010-09-13
San Angelo, TX

payter9

I have been getting a few old e-mails from yesterday, one from 5am, which I got this morning, and just now one from 3pm. Now, both of them were sent from the Suddenlink domain, so I don't know if all e-mails will be re-delivered this way, or only ones that had been sent by other Suddenlink customers, and Suddenlink themselves (one was an appointment confirmation for a cable problem I had).

RV Roadie
@suddenlink.net

RV Roadie to Cobra11M

Anon

to Cobra11M
I just checked and not only are all my IMAP folders and emails gone prior to today but all my saved invoices and vendor receipts are gone! This is unacceptable!

They just inked deals between the cable companies and the telephone companies and tightened their monopoly so they can claim competition from DSL that are too slow for anybody for long. We need to break them up like we did through the representatives and the FCC in Washington like we did the Bel monopoly and forced them to allow competitors to share their lines. Where do you think Verizon came from? There used to be, in my lifetime, a monopoly of Bell and my calls to England cost like 6 dollars a minute to 12 dollars a minute. After the breakup it was 12 cents a minute and now a penny and free with some services plans.

Call, email, and write your representatives. Stop big business from this robbery! Suddenlink raised my bill seven dollars this past week just before this failure to add insult to injury!

We need to go to the FCC.gov website and see the deals being made that allow this highway robbery! If they can't do it let competition in and see if competition won't do it for less and better to boot!

To the smart aleck that said who uses POP3 anymore that answer is I left my wife's account POP3 but set mine up IMAP to be able to sync with all devices. Since POP3 straight accounts do not sync, they leave all the mail on each local machine. My wife still has all her sub-folders and old emails. I lost them all with an IMAP account on Suddenlink servers. If Suddenlink cannot by Monday COB restore what was lost on the servers, theirs or a vendor's, we need to form a class action lawsuit as I am just a small biz that was irrevocably harmed. I know my old medium sized biz has their service and I made them use POP3 accounts for just this reason. Now I realize there is no hard drive locally for me to save the files from.

Suddenlink, if the emails are not restored, you deserve lawsuits from everybody and regardless of disclaimers and never ready TOS', to pay through the nose for this. If the emails are restored you need to at least defer the increase of seven dollars to my and the accounts of others.

Regardless we need to break their, and the other cable company's monopolies for high speed in every town they are in.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Aww, name calling, how cute. BTW, you may want to read over your tos again to just check how guaranteed ANY of the service is, including emails.

Sure it sucks the service was down, but not having any form of redundancy on your part is no excuse.

I also completely fail to see any relevant link between email servers crashing and cable/telco 'deals'.

RV Roadie
@suddenlink.net

RV Roadie

Anon

The relevance of the deals with the Telcos and the cable companies and the acceding to the lobbying by the FCC makes each high speed Internet mode a monopoly in each area so that there is no alternative to their pricing or bad service. It is not an option to get Hughes network shared transponders with sometimes old dial up speeds during prime time. Going back to dial up is not an option. DSL for almost the same price where available, not here, is only slightly better than dial up.

Yes we could disconnect from the Internet.

Your comment about local backup seems to overlook that IMAP accounts sync directly with the server not a local storage by default where most POP3 accounts do. I have a Clone of each drive for each of my five computers, do images weekly, and daily images of our Quickbooks data to a thumbdrive, in case of a local failure. I have drive docks at each desktop with 1 TB druives in them and each clone drive is not kept current because they are just for immediate replacement instead of going shopping when a drive fails. They are cloned so they can boot when replacing a failed drive for that computer. Then in a few minutes the computer works again and the last image can be restored to the replacement drive in about 25-35 minutes all is well again.

I allude to something before your time, when the monopoly of the Bell telephone company was broken up and competitors allowed to use their lines because they belonged essentially to the public who paid for them as a utility, and the theory proved out when calls overseas went from 12 bucks a minute to 12 cents then even lower. Verizon came out of that along with many of the other companies you see today.

TOS does not a compelling argument make. But like the bankers who destroyed the economy and the housing market, irresponsibly, not one went to jail did they? Have you followed the Verizon Cable deals with the Cable industry that were allowed but should not have been? Have you followed the sudden influx of lobby money and lobbyists for the Cable companies?

There are adults who remember what has actually happened. It is not name calling at all.

I mention the IMAP versus POP3 account issues because most can do quite well with all but the main computer leaving messages on the server and then the main machine taking them off at the end of the day. Syncing for the average person can be more trouble than it is worth. I don't need my Tablet or smart phone to store anything but a few items. and they will store those locally with POP3. As will my main computer, where all the receipts and all have resided safely and in images before I foolishly started using IMAP accounts.

Now since you think I am name calling or that others should avoid IMAP accounts at all costs, please enlighten me, perhaps I am looking online in all the wrong places. Please provide a link on how to selectively locally store emails in Outlook 2010 from an IMAP account, that will not be wiped out in a sync from the server. Put another way if the folders in an IMAP account were deleted from the main computer how can one keep those deletions from syncing and deleting them from the other computers? Because that is exactly what happened with Suddenlink Friday.

While I hope they have backups yet to be restored, (they may have redundant backups but don't want their employees working on the weekend,) but it is not looking good thus far. I am not interested in, anonymous or not, webmail accounts or disposable accounts. I have had the same email and provider for the last ten years and will continue to.

My short version is to be aware of the possibility of losing everything with an IMAP account rather than local storage with a POP3. I was not, and I fix computers for others as a job. I overlooked the obvious. I have only lost a years worth of emails because I have the old drive with all my POP3 mails as my HTPC now, and can transition them back to the main machine should I choose. However if Suddenlink cannot restore them and has indeed started me again from scratch, then I am going to delete all accounts and start them over as POP3.

You see I can have my cake and eat it too. I have my own personal cloud device that my buddy has already tested and it works. I should have my pogoplug up and running in a few days. It came in Friday. Then I can access everything on my network that I back up and secure over the Internet and never lose unless my house burns down.

My website is on another server but I could care less because I have all the pages saved locally as well as all the pics and layouts.

Moldypickle. I look forward to your saving me a lot of research and showing me how I can save my emails locally using Outlook 2010 and an IMAP account. I do not want any save my important stuff on the servers of another solution. Just show me what part of redundancy locally on my part I missed. I will thank you for it. BTW I am in Princeton Louisiana. Small world? Where would you like to meet up for coffee? The Pilot at Arby's or Waffle house? The Bear's Den on 80 is two miles from my front door.
RV Roadie

RV Roadie to moldypickle

Anon

to moldypickle
Oh,
All it would take is for our representatives to mandate that Comcast can compete with Suddenlink here for high speed using their lines, and Suddenlink can compete with Comcast over in Shreveport using their lines. If you are old like you say in the profile like me at 60, you remember we did exactly that to break the Bell monopoly and it worked. We would not have cell phones, free long distance, VoIP services, or broadband had that break up of the Bells not occurred.

The precedent is there, as is the small local monopolies as bad as the Bell one. In this case though they get to use each others lines tit for tat. Not figuring out what to charge the new startup competitors for line use, as they had to do with the break up of the Bell monopoly on phone service. This makes forcing them to allow competitors in easier but then they will price fix sop maybe we need to do it just like we did the Bell breakup, and let in new blood to create jobs, as Verizon and the others surely did. I know most younger folks have no concept of one phone company and no choice. I do. Feels the same now despite their claim of competitors why only one in each market?

I guess we all know the answer don't we?

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Since I'm just a spring fresh whippersnapper momma says I can't meet strangers in person.

Anyways, for backing up locally you can always just pull the old messages from the server and archive them in a data file (believe that's the terming in outlook 2010). Sure you don't rely on your email as data storage and need constant access to all of your history. Also, where in anything I said did I mention or even allude to the idea that people should avoid IMAP at all cost?!

TOS DOES indeed make a compelling argument. It's your agreement as to how you use your service and what all the service will provide you. If a TOS is for nothing, then why not other forms of binding documents, my car note would be nice if i didn't have to follow the contract. And yes, I do follow the lobbying feats of the cable and telecom industry.

My profile actually doesn't say anything about my age if I recall. I do understand the old telecom break ups though, and don't see how that has anything to do with cell phones (an entirely different market and only relating based on the parent companies of each provider) of the VoIP industry which has already been termed as an information service and not a telecom service. Which is also why the cable companies don't have to share lines like the telecom breakup caused.

The only real flaw with the idea that broadband access should be forced to be open and all competition is that the current big dogs would suddenly have no reason to build out markets for their competitors to use. They aren't like the old phone networks that were supposed to cover 100% of residents. Sure it'd be nice for existing infrastructure, but when verizon or the likes stops ALL forward motion because they can no longer charge what they want for an exclusive service, what will the people in "no mans land" do for broadband?

Anyway you look at it though, I STILL don't see the connection you were making between the broken IMAP server and SL (and others) monopolies. Servers do indeed die and they usually don't care if they are hosted on a monopoly. But then you could be attempting to say that SL is the only IMAP server you could use, but you can rent them from damn near anywhere now.

I'm not sure what kind of cloud device you are talking about, but have you looked into hosting your OWN email server locally? Then the only thing out of your hands would literally be the connection and if that goes down for 12 hours then you are only out the pending send/receive emails.

Finally, I'm not familiar with the Bears Den. Haven't lived down here too long
moldypickle

moldypickle

Premium Member

Another form of redundancy that you should be using is billing software of SOME kind. You say you lost all your saved invoices and receipts. Shouldn't you already have that information elsewhere? Or are you actually running all that strictly out of your email.... if so, you should really really look into an actual billing system.

neonenergy
@suddenlink.net

neonenergy to Chubbzie

Anon

to Chubbzie
I lost my Suddenlink email service last Friday, November 30, but service was restored on December 1. However, all my email messages and email folders are gone. Does anyone know if and when these missing messages will be restored?

Zorack
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M
They are probably gone forever,neonenergy....