spc
uniqs

brian19876
@nauticom.net

brian19876 to RolteC

Anon

to RolteC

Re: upgrade to 75/35 and linksys router

Connection wired. I still use the action tech just second in line. Do you need a gigabyte router to get 75/35 the old action tech router I don't think is a gigabyte router

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Having the WRT54G as your primarily router will limit you to around 35/35 (or less depending on firmware). It just cannot route any faster than that.

Put the Actiontec first and change the WRT54G into a switch if you need to, then you'll see full speed. No gigabit router necessary.

brian19876
@nauticom.net

brian19876

Anon

The reason I don't use the action tech first it had caused problems seem to get slow over time and cased problems when patching games like wow that use p2p for patching. Do you have any suggestions for a better router

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If you're using the LAN to WAN configuration to hook up your Actiontec, then the Actiontec is still doing routing and should have all the same problems you mentioned - but obviously it isn't.

Switch back to the Actiontec for awhile. If you notice problems, then buy a new router. There are plenty of threads around here about router recommendations - depends on your needs.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to brian19876

to brian19876
said by brian19876 :

The reason I don't use the action tech first it had caused problems seem to get slow over time and cased problems when patching games like wow that use p2p for patching. Do you have any suggestions for a better router

What version of the actiontec are you using? If you have the latest version you really shouldnt be seeing any issues like you may have seen with older, earlier versions.

brian19876
@msanet.com

brian19876 to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff
Im going form the lan of my linksys to wan of action tec so the linksys is doing the routing

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

No. Both routers are doing routing in your setup, unless you've mangled the configuration of the Actiontec is some way to get the WAN port bridged with the LAN ports.

The Linksys is routing from your public IP space to your internal LAN 1 (lets say 192.168.x.0/24). Then your Actiontec is routing from 192.168.x.0/24 to 192.168.y.0/24 (internal LAN 2). It's double-NAT'd. Your Actiontec doesn't know the difference between routing from the public IP space or 192.168.x.0 space. It performs exactly the same in either case.

All the Linksys router is doing in your setup is ruining your throughput.

brian19876
@msanet.com

brian19876

Anon

yes i guess both are doing routing but the action tec is just routing the stbs nothing is connected to the lan ports on the action tec my computers are on the linksys

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I see. Then you're correct that for your computer traffic, it's only passing through the linksys.

I'd still recommend trying out the Actiontec router again for awhile before dropping some cash on a new router. Do you know what Revision it is? It should say on the bottom of the router.

brian19876
@msanet.com

brian19876

Anon

rev c