spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

S1

@qc.ca

Cable Modem Help

Looking to get into broadband connections. Can anyone explain to me (in detailed laymans terms) why the SB6141 cannot be used with Electronicbox's service, when they support the SB6120 (and I would assume the SB6121 since its supposed to be the same hardware in a smaller case) and SB6180? I am looking to join them because of their good rates but I have just purchased an SB6141.

TIA,
Confused

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Probably because it would cost them $8k to get it tested by Rogers to be on the approved modem list for TPIA.

It uses the same firmware as both SB6120 & SB6121, but Rogers is screwy like that.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to S1

said by S1 :

Looking to get into broadband connections. Can anyone explain to me (in detailed laymans terms) why the SB6141 cannot be used with Electronicbox's service, when they support the SB6120 (and I would assume the SB6121 since its supposed to be the same hardware in a smaller case) and SB6180? I am looking to join them because of their good rates but I have just purchased an SB6141.

TIA,
Confused

I don't see them supporting that modem. Where do you see that?
Their approved modems they are selling can be seen here:
»www.electronicbox.net/en/quebec/···are.html

If you want some other modem that isn't approved then you have to pay them about $8,000 and they'll get it approved for you from videotron. If you want (videotron will test it). That is what Videotron charges for unapproved modems as Resa stated above.

Call Videotron themselves and ask if you can hook up your SB6141. Let us know what they tell you. If they say yes, then Ebox should be able to do it too.

Videotron (and the videotron resellers) keep a list of all approved modems. Ask them for it. If your model is listed there then it should be ok.

You can create a topic here asking Ebox for a list of all approved modems for Videotron:
»ELECTRONICBOX

Or you can ask in the videotron forum if anyone knows the list of all approved modems here:
»Videotron

What ISP did you use that modem with? Or did you just buy it for no reason and not know that the cable-modem has to be on an approved list first?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Sorry, I missed the Quebec location. That $8k figure was from Rogers.

Videotron's modem approval rate is actually $9,857.00, per their latest Tariff Notice.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/public/8740/2012/···2640.pdf
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
reply to S1

When you order service from Ebox just tell the that you have a SB6180.

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC

said by JCohen:

When you order service from Ebox just tell the that you have a SB6180.

he can do that, but when he will plug his modem onto the videotron network, it's going to be rejected. time and money will be lost.

S1, you should have wait before buynig your modem,... it's useless here in quebec. try to sell it somewhere it's supported. if you want, i have an SB6120 for sale soon that was on electronic box network.

i know some people sell the thomson dcm 475 in quebec and ontario, but they don't have the same firmware even if it's the same hardware. the one from ontario is going to be rejected in quebec as well.

True Dat

@videotron.ca

True. Very true.
Not only do you have to be careful with the modem you buy, you have to be careful what firmware is on it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to S1

Just say it's the 6120/1 and be done with, if it is the same firmware then it won't present an issue if the VTL pushes a firmware update down the pipe to TPIA customers.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by elwoodblues:

Just say it's the 6120/1 and be done with, if it is the same firmware then it won't present an issue if the VTL pushes a firmware update down the pipe to TPIA customers.

Even if its the same firmware, it'll present to Videotron as a 6141...and they'll reject the install. Same with Rogers, or any other cable ISP. When it registers on the network, ALL of the information is presented when it registers at the UBR...unless you're a haxor and have burned new info onto the EEPROM which I hear is possible if you look at the dark side of the internet, you can say its a 5100N for all they care, it'll still present at a 6141 unless you've done what I've stated above.

To the OP, its important, don't ask me why as you'd think all modems were created equal since they're all supposed to be part of the same DOCSIS spec, but for some reason some modems don't play nice so the Incumbent cable network decides not to allow those modems on the network...

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

1 recommendation

said by nitzguy:

they'll reject the install. Same with Rogers,

Definitely not true on Rogers. I know lots of people using SBG6580 and SB6180, just for example. A SB6141 would work fine too. Of course the cable company could stop it, but Rogers does not.

I have no information about Videotron.
--
electronicsguru.ca

S1

@teksavvy.com
reply to S1

Seeing as the devil is in the details and I cannot use the modem I would like, I will see if I can return what I have and get a modem that is compatible with the ISP.
Thanks to everyone for all the input. I have learned a lot. Mainly do your research before purchasing a cable modem.