Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Candle-Powered Electric Candle

»www.instructables.com/id ··· -Candle/

I stumbled upon this little project.

Though the question I have is why not just use a larger candle?

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978
join:2001-11-03
Fruita, CO

Red_Menace

I would just use a regular hurricane lamp, although I don't think it will do much good if the big one hits. ...or zombies.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
At first I thought it was stupid but after thinking about it it's still probably stupid but he is doing something.

He's getting the IR part of the tea light to generate electricity to make visible light. Now, TE's are notoriously inefficient but it is something.

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
Using a real candle to power a "fake" one kinda seems pointless to me (other than a proof-of-concept type thing). Just use a bigger candle or oil lamp and be done. Cool concept, just doesn't seem very practical.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

But it's more light for the same "amount" of candle. Making use of the thermal energy to convert it into useful light. I'm kinda' impressed.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat

Jason

said by garys_2k:

But it's more light for the same "amount" of candle. Making use of the thermal energy to convert it into useful light. I'm kinda' impressed.

Actually, me too..

I have a few mid-size TEMs lying around.. this has got me thinking of how I can use them for some goofy thing like this.

dMarks
Melting Faces For Fun
Premium Member
join:2007-02-09
Jackson, MI

dMarks to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
I read the article...and the first thing that came to mind after reading it all is...this is perfect survivalist material for someone who has some electrical / electronics background.

Let me give you a hint. Imagine, during an event that leaves you without electricity, you can still charge your battery-operated items. Some modifications and such would be needed, but this gives an indication of what is possible...on a small scale.

Seriously, it's far from stupid.

EDIT!!! That's if it does work. I've not tried it.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by dMarks:

I read the article...and the first thing that came to mind after reading it all is...this is perfect survivalist material for someone who has some electrical / electronics background.

Let me give you a hint. Imagine, during an event that leaves you without electricity, you can still charge your battery-operated items. Some modifications and such would be needed, but this gives an indication of what is possible...on a small scale.

Seriously, it's far from stupid.

EDIT!!! That's if it does work. I've not tried it.

Forgive the stupid word, I've used it for years (more on myself than anyone) and get called on it. Perhaps foolish, silly, impractical would have been better.

As I tried to explain TE's have about an 8% efficiency, so unless you are picking up free heat from some thing, it's not the best answer to getting energy. If you do have a heat source that will be used in an emergency you can get enough to charge a battery.

»tegpower.com/pro8.htm.

Getting a couple of milliamps to light an LED is science fair stuff IMHO.

I'm working on a commercial product at the moment using a peltier module but not to light a house.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

lutful to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Click for full size
said by SparkChaser:

Now, TE's are notoriously inefficient but it is something.

Traditional thin-film bismuth teluride peltier modules used in such projects are about 6% efficient and they also can't handle very high temperatures. But they are low cost and allow generating a few watts to charge phones or power a book light.

I showed a TEG powered radio site in Alberta in »Re: Solar power . More robust BiTe TEG systems running on propane or LNG can provide upto 50W.

Some recent R&D thermoelectric generators (TEG) actually come close to 20% like silicon solar cells and can tolerate more than 300C on the hot side. GM is experimenting with them to replace alternators.

*** A Japanese company (TES New Energy) is commercializing such a TEG module.
»tes-ne.com/English/04_te ··· y_e.html

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Thanks for the info, the highest I've seen was 11%. It's interesting that the have the technology to 20. I knew the temperature ranges.

What I was attempting to point out to those less familiar with the technology is that it's usefulness is more as a secondary device not a primary source.

For instance the Power Pot can be confusing. In just looking at the picture one might get the impression that someone is cooking with it. If fact they are cooking with propane and getting some electrical energy to charge a phone. Great for camping but I get the feeling some readers thought they were going to beat the thermo laws.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Isnt Curiosity running on a thermal-electric generator? I know its nuclear powered so guessing its somehow using the heat to directly create power.
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by Kearnstd:

Isnt Curiosity running on a thermal-electric generator? I know its nuclear powered so guessing its somehow using the heat to directly create power.

Yes but the heat is also used to keep the vehicle warm.
Thermionic generators/coolers are potentially much more efficient than thermoelectrics.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

ArthurS to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Interesting device:
»www.leevalley.com/en/gar ··· =2,40731

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
I actually saw a larger version of something similar like this. My first thought was "what the hell" but it looks impressive.

»www.leevalley.com/us/gar ··· &p=68887
J E F F4

J E F F4 to ArthurS

Premium Member

to ArthurS
HA! I didn't see that...I posted the same one you posted, different page though....lol..I think you got the Canadian site, I got the US one.

This interesting thing, it produces the light output of 18 tea light candles out of 1 candle. It would be useful in an emergency if you're concerned about batteries.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

they are cooking with propane and getting some electrical energy to charge a phone.

A few burning twigs are boiling water in this kettle and also charging the phone.

My interest in high efficiency thermo-electric conversion actually started when public See Profile mentioned the Topaz radioactive thermal reactor a few years ago.
»heating ideas for a cold winter

Expand your moderator at work