Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to brian19876

MVM,

to brian19876

Re: upgrade to 75/35 and linksys router

If you're using the LAN to WAN configuration to hook up your Actiontec, then the Actiontec is still doing routing and should have all the same problems you mentioned - but obviously it isn't.

Switch back to the Actiontec for awhile. If you notice problems, then buy a new router. There are plenty of threads around here about router recommendations - depends on your needs.

brian19876
@msanet.com

brian19876

Anon

Im going form the lan of my linksys to wan of action tec so the linksys is doing the routing

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

No. Both routers are doing routing in your setup, unless you've mangled the configuration of the Actiontec is some way to get the WAN port bridged with the LAN ports.

The Linksys is routing from your public IP space to your internal LAN 1 (lets say 192.168.x.0/24). Then your Actiontec is routing from 192.168.x.0/24 to 192.168.y.0/24 (internal LAN 2). It's double-NAT'd. Your Actiontec doesn't know the difference between routing from the public IP space or 192.168.x.0 space. It performs exactly the same in either case.

All the Linksys router is doing in your setup is ruining your throughput.

brian19876
@msanet.com

brian19876

Anon

yes i guess both are doing routing but the action tec is just routing the stbs nothing is connected to the lan ports on the action tec my computers are on the linksys

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I see. Then you're correct that for your computer traffic, it's only passing through the linksys.

I'd still recommend trying out the Actiontec router again for awhile before dropping some cash on a new router. Do you know what Revision it is? It should say on the bottom of the router.

brian19876
@msanet.com

brian19876

Anon

rev c