»www.virustotal.com/

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Kudos for the hard-working and nice folks at MBAM.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to Gr4zed

Premium Member

to Gr4zed
"malwarebytes" is not an antivirus program and, so, it should not be included in the list of programs at "virustotal"..

the same with "superantispyware".. it,too, should not be included in the list of programs at "virustotal" since, like "malwarebytes", it is not an antivirus program..

these programs only have a miniscule list of definitions for a miniscule list of malware-samples.. the chances of their ever flagging anything, at "virustotal", other than third-party cookies, is miniscule..

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

2 recommendations

Snowy

Premium Member

said by redwolfe_98:

these programs only have a miniscule list of definitions for a miniscule list of malware-samples.. the chances of their ever flagging anything, at "virustotal", other than third-party cookies, is miniscule..

Assuming that's a fair analysis, what is the harm or downside to having the additional scanner?

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I tend to agree, the more that scans and checks, the more chance you have of seeing a detection not otherwise picked up - there are just too many daily malwares that most companies are having a hard time keeping up with. We need every bit of help available to us.

Thumbs up for the continued reviewing and updating of this free service to the community. Heaven help us if they decide to remove product or the service altogether, then I'd be on the complaining list.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
While neither Malwarebytes nor Superantispyware are anti-virus programs, it seems to me that it is up to Virustotal to decide what scanners to include, even if some are limited in their scope.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
This is all the information that is available at this time.
How MBAM were vetted to the VT family may never be disclosed.
More information may be forthcoming.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

2 recommendations

Dustyn to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

"malwarebytes" is not an antivirus program and, so, it should not be included in the list of programs at "virustotal"..

the same with "superantispyware".. it,too, should not be included in the list of programs at "virustotal" since, like "malwarebytes", it is not an antivirus program..

quote:
VirusTotal is a free service that analyzes suspicious files and URLs and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware.
Hmmm... seems to me that there's more to VirusTotal than simply what the name suggests. The addition of Malwarebytes to VirusTotal.com is a welcomed one. The same can be said for SUPERAntiSpyware.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to Gr4zed

MVM

to Gr4zed
I agree, I'm glad MBAM is included in virustotal now.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to Gr4zed

Premium Member

to Gr4zed
I agree, I see this as a good thing with no down side, FWIW.

TonyKlein
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Netherlands

3 recommendations

TonyKlein to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

"malwarebytes" is not an antivirus program and, so, it should not be included in the list of programs at "virustotal".. ...

FYI, MBAM does not detect / remove cookies...

On the other hand, it certainly does a very good job of detecting 0-day malware, and its huge and rapidly increasing database (6, usually more, updates per day) includes all kinds of malware currently in the wild.

I should know, because I download and test a LOT of malware on a daily basis, and I can tell you for a fact that MBAM does an admirable job, even compared to a number of "full fledged" antivirus engines currently used by VT...

-------------
Tony CLSID List - A Collection of Autostart Locations

Gr4zed
@sky.com

Gr4zed to redwolfe_98

Anon

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

Wow that is terrible.

Just a FYI MBAM does detect cookies so in your opinion it must be even more worthless.

I personally almost got stung by driveby download a few hours ago(I really need to update Acrobat reader) but visiting a 3rd party file hosting site i think one of the banner ads was serving a exploit.

MBAM realtime protection quarantined this file which tried to run from my temp folder.
»www.virustotal.com/file/ ··· 4357626/
Googling the filename and location confirms it is highly suspect and associated with a lot of trojans installs.Heck it was even the first time that file had been uploaded to VirusTotal.

I have emailed it to all the AV companies that i have submission address for so hope they create detections in a timely manner.

Personally my own experience and subsequent opinion of MBAM is very bi-polar to yours. It has often fixed computers where AV's fail so in my opinion VirusTotal is definetly a much improved service for the addition of Malwarebytes.

YMMV but "minniscule chance" of detection just pwned the AV's at their own game

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Gr4zed

Premium Member

to Gr4zed
A question: Do you folks use the website blocking feature of MBAM? I've got the FileSystem Protection on, but it seemed to me the website feature slowed browsing down.

CloudAV
@wideopenwest.com

CloudAV

Anon

MBAM is known to not only slow browser, but slow an entire system. It is rated as being quite heavy on a PC, and is one reason why I have removed it. Also in nearly 3 years of using it, it hasn't caught anything my normal AV didn't so I don't really see the need for it and find my license for it pretty useless.
hamlet
join:2001-05-23
Naval Air Station/ Jrb, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

hamlet

I am using the website blocking feature of MBAM Pro and do not notice any difference in browsing speed. With the differences in computers, loaded software, and internet connections, everyone clearly needs to test things for themselves and make their own judgement as to whether any slowdown is acceptable. Depending on whatever other security software you are running, MBAM's website feature may not add much to your online safety anyway.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

2 recommendations

sivran to CloudAV

Premium Member

to CloudAV
"Didn't work for me" != "Will not work for you"
dsilvers
join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX

1 recommendation

dsilvers to TonyKlein

to TonyKlein
said by TonyKlein:

I should know, because I download and test a LOT of malware on a daily basis, and I can tell you for a fact that MBAM does an admirable job, even compared to a number of "full fledged" antivirus engines currently used by VT...

-------------
Tony CLSID List - A Collection of Autostart Locations

Plus One. I totally agree with Tonykline assessment. MBAM prides itself on detecting in the wild threats. If you submit a threat that is more than six months old chances are they will not include the definition in their data base. That may seem risky to some but why detect the I LOVE YOU worm from May of 2000. There are exceptions but the truth is most threats are short lived.

»Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance includes MBAM in their mandatory steps as it does an admirable job of removal. That can't be said of a number of main line AV's. Look around and you will find it used by a number of clean up forums for good reason. They have a few false positives but it has never hosed a system I have run it on.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
Click for full size
said by DownTheShore:

A question: Do you folks use the website blocking feature of MBAM? I've got the FileSystem Protection on, but it seemed to me the website feature slowed browsing down.

I have all features (including website blocking) of MBAM Pro enabled. I can't say I've noticed a slow down due to that enabled feature under the two browser I use; IE9 + Opera 12.11: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1.
Dustyn

Dustyn to CloudAV

Premium Member

to CloudAV
said by CloudAV :

I don't really see the need for it and find my license for it pretty useless.

You should then give it away as a gift to someone who would benefit from a free license.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to Gr4zed

Premium Member

to Gr4zed
Lest we forget, VirusTotal is a subsidiary of Google.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by chachazz:

Ahh, but according to an ancient Chinese and Arabic proverb: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend..."

TonyKlein
Premium Member
Netherlands

1 recommendation

TonyKlein to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

As VT's "jcanto" said a while ago:

"We're the same team, in the same location (Malaga), doing the same stuff we've been doing for 10 years. What we have now is access to far more resources, and what is very important, good defenses against attacks. I don't know if you guys remember what happened to us with DDoS attacks last summer until we moved our interface to GAE."

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
A wise PR man from Google once said:
you don't have to be a potential acquisition for us to work with you.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore to Gr4zed

Premium Member

to Gr4zed
Thanks to those of you who answered my question. Much appreciated.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to TonyKlein

Premium Member

to TonyKlein
Tony -
Noted at Wilders:
»press.malwarebytes.org/2 ··· g-safer/

TonyKlein
Premium Member
Netherlands

1 recommendation

TonyKlein

Premium Member

Yup, I saw that article
TonyKlein

1 edit

TonyKlein to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
Whoops, involuntary post...

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to CloudAV

to CloudAV
I use MBAM sporadically, but when it is running I have not noticed any difference in browsing or system-wise then when it is not.

This is with both a modest i5-750 & an all but antiquated e4300.

Oh, & I am glad that VT will now have Malwarebytes results included.