spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MikeC578

join:2012-11-30
Mississauga, ON

[WIN7] BSOD and the Minidump... how to analyze it?

Hi All,
I've just started getting the BSOD with my new system - a custom built pc using a 128GB SSD - my OS is Windows 7 Professioanl 64 bit and I've never had these with any of my previous machines so I'm at quite a loss as to what to do about these. I've found the Mermory.dmp (920MBs) and the minidump (about 258 kb) - I've also looked at the Event Viewer and altho some information is there I may as well be reading chinese as it means nothing to me.
Is there anyway either of the files can be read by someone that understands them? I use this computer for video editing and these BSOD's are wreaking havoc with my projects. I've tested the memory with memtest (that much I can do - it was selected from the mobo's compatibility chart before purchasing it).
Any help would be really appreciated.

Mike
--
Mike C

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

You can zip up the minidump and post it here. There are a couple of people who can analyze it, one of them being the Mod, auggy See Profile.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

If you post it, I can take a look at it too. I have experience with debug dumps too.

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

Thanx guys... I'll zip it up now...
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON
reply to trparky

downloadMinidump.zip 45,718 bytes
minidump attached
I included the minidump file from this morning too - I just had the second one today at 2:17 pm... it actually not only deleted the project I was working on even tho I had saved it about 10 times before I got the BSOD. I can understand it not saving the stuff I had done since the last save but to delete the entire file and project? wow...
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON
reply to trparky

would you prefer I post it in it's native format? or is it being zipped up alright?
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

I wasn't even ON the computer, in fact, I was on THIS computer selecting my avatar when the machine in question just had another BSOD... the only program open at the time was Avid Studio 16
--
Mike C

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

There are no indications of a specific driver that is causing the problem.

113012-32744-01.dmp referrers to a process name of "BGRnd.exe" but that's not a driver, it's a program's EXE file, specifically Avid Studio.

Then there's 113012-33493-01.dmp that referres to another program's EXE file called "NGStudio.exe" which again is associated with Avid Studio.

At this point, since Avid Studio is a memory intensive application and that the two dump files you uploaded are not referencing any specific drivers, I'm going to say that there is quite possibly a RAM issue in which as memory is being used heavily, it causes the system to crash. At this point, run MemTest86+ on your machine to diagnose RAM issues.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
reply to MikeC578

Your computer appears to have developed a hardware problem which can't be identified from the crash dumps.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\113012-33493-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B) 
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA801B510028, 0xBE200000, 0x5110A)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA). 
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue. 
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Fri 11/30/2012 3:17:57 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\113012-32744-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B) 
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA801B41C028, 0xBE200000, 0x5110A)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA). 
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue. 
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

You might find more details in the event viewer as to the possible hardware device that is having an issue.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
reply to trparky

Correction, both dump files are referring to hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe, both of these are core system binaries. Which again, if the kernel crashes (which ordinarily should not happen), that's even more evidence of memory corruption issues.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

thanx again... I'll run memtest again
--
Mike C

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Sometimes, it may take hours for a MemTest86+ test to turn up problems. One pass is not necessarily enough, multiple passes running for 24 hours (or more) may be necessary.

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

I'm going to run it now and let it run throughout the night... I'll let you know tomorrow if anythings up... I really appreciate your suggestions guys!
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

running now - downloaded the latest version of memtest86+ for 64 bit pc's... v. 4.20
I'll be in touch - already well into it's 1st pass - nothing noted in the rror column
--
Mike C

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I've often seen tests that won't indicate failure until well into multiple tests. I saw a test that didn't fail until the RAM was at a certain temperature which of course was only after multiple tests.

Temperature of the RAM can make the difference just like CPUs can fail when they are running too hot.
--
Tom

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
reply to MikeC578

Also, if problems persist consider updating the BIOS to the latest version.

The present BIOS version, according to the minidump file, is 0906:

kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 2.7, DMIVersion 39, Size=3886]
BiosMajorRelease = 4
BiosMinorRelease = 6
BiosVendor = American Megatrends Inc.
BiosVersion = 0906
BiosReleaseDate = 03/26/2012
SystemManufacturer = System manufacturer
SystemProductName = System Product Name
SystemFamily = To be filled by O.E.M.
SystemVersion = System Version
SystemSKU = SKU
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoardProduct = P8Z77-V DELUXE
BaseBoardVersion = Rev 1.xx

The latest version appears to be 1709 and several of the more recent updates address stability.

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

You have a point re: the BIOS. Memtest has been running for almost 8 hours - still no errors...
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

Memtest has been running for over 16 hours now - no errors... gonna update the BIOS after I let the program run until the full 24 hours has come and gone...
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

1 edit

downloadMinidump Dec 1.zip 24,498 bytes
Well - it ran for 24 hours - 7 complete passes... I then updated the BIOS to the latest version, opened Studio 16 and every other program I could - let it sit for about 50 minutes - no issues... then I started to edit some video on the timeline and BAM! BSOD. I've attached the latest Minidump file - any ideas?
--
Mike C

No errors on memtest...

I did some checking on my intel SSD and it's listed in the Device Manager as a SCSI disc... should've I changed that to AHCI in the BIOS before I installed Windows?

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
reply to MikeC578

The details provided by this dump are the same as the other 2. Have you checked your event viewer yet, just to see if there are any events being posted prior to the crash?

How many different disk arrays/types (hardware) do you have in that thing?

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

The Event Viewer says Source: Kernel Power EventID: 41 Level: Critical

As far as other hard drives, it's the same cluster of 1 and 1.5 TB hdd's (SATA's) that I'd used prior to upgrading the CPU and C Drive (which I used a Solid State for my OS)

No RAID - all individual hdd's and all internal and all fairly new...
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON
reply to aguen

20 minutes before the BSOD there was a warning in the event viewer saying Event 19, WHEA Logger and the following text in the details section, "A corrected hardware error has occurred"
Reported by Component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Internal Parity Error
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

Now THIS is interesting... ONE second before the crash I got an information event saying...
File System Filter 'aswSnx' (6.0, ‎2012‎-‎10‎-‎30T17:44:08.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

aswSnx is my a file in my Avast! antivirus...
--
Mike C

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to MikeC578

Relating to Avast possibly...
»forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=108689.0

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

DAMN! Avast!?
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

I went back over the last bunch of *Critical* events and ALWAYS, one second before each crash, it was the same 'Information' event that said "File System Filter 'aswSnx' being successfully loaded with the Filter Manager"...

I've uninstalled Avast! and will again run my system through some video editing...
--
Mike C

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

I think that would be an interesting step to see if the BSOD appears. If not that's a good sign to maybe trial your removal of Avast for a day or so after to be sure it is in fact something to do with Avast. If it turns out Avast is the culprit, I'm sure their support team will be able to help you resolve the issue.
»forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

theyipper

join:2001-01-18
Oakland, CA
reply to MikeC578

What kind of motherboard?

Some mbs automatically ramp up/overclock under heavy loads causing memory type of errors.

edit: Oh its a Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

I've uninstalled Avast! and have been working feverishly on a video roject - lots of editing and rendering - and no BSOD...
I'm using an ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe Mobo
--
Mike C

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

said by MikeC578:

I've uninstalled Avast! and have been working feverishly on a video roject - lots of editing and rendering - and no BSOD...

Great sign so far!
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP