spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lastvisitor

@electronicbox.net

Charged before service starts/ 1 week to disconnect service?

I have to move out of my current appartment in a rush because there was a fire next door and I can't live here anymore, so I got a new place starting Dec. 1.
I called ebox to ask about a change of address, the customer representative told me it would take 2 weeks, and when asked if I would be refunded the 2 weeks (I already prepaid december) of downtime, she said that no, I would still pay full month.

So fine, I discussed with my roommates and decided to cancel the service and go with Teksavvy (they charge you from the time the service goes live), so I called back to cancel and she told me it would take 1 week to disconnect service and that I would still be charged for that week of December.

Is this standard procedure? I know I am being quite a baggage because it is last-minute requests, but charging me for days without service, I would like to know if that is standard procedure in this industry.

GuiGQc

join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

It's not a standard when you're not under a contract.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to lastvisitor

said by lastvisitor :

Is this standard procedure? I know I am being quite a baggage because it is last-minute requests, but charging me for days without service, I would like to know if that is standard procedure in this industry.

First they're not charging you for days without service. The service IS available at the address you subscribed to. The fact that you're unable to be there is not Electronic Box's concern.

Most "big name" ISP in Canada won't even let you disconnect without a month's notice, and they'll still charge you an extra month after that.

You know you can get your insurance to reimburse you for costs caused by fire, right?

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-21

The disconnection does not take effect immediately. We have to process the request and send it to our upstream provider.

Normally we ask the client to finish their prepaid month so we don't have to reimburse manually but if someone insist we process the disconnection as soon as possible (delay vary from 2 days to 1 week depending the service type).
--
Electronic Box Inc. - Jean-Philippe Béïque
Ebox forum »ELECTRONICBOX