join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb

Re: [Signals] New Modem - Arris TM722G/CT

said by plencnerb:

I did notice the section of the last picture called "DHCP Attempts to obtain CM IP Address:". Below it lists IPv4 Attempt(s) and IPV6 Attempt(s). I figured if my area was ready for IPv6, those numbers would update.

As a side note this is only for the cable modem management side of the cable modem or what we call the DOCSIS side. it doesnt do anything for the CPE side.

said by plencnerb:

What I may do at some point is test IPv6 by using my Windows 7 desktop connected directly to my Cable Modem, and see what I get. Once I know that is working, I'll move forward with getting my router configured for it, whatever that may involve.

I would do that as well, hook up your Windows 7 PC and make sure you get a IPv6 address. Then you know your area CMTS is good to go, put your router in place..

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

4 edits

Network adapter settings

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by NetDog:

I would do that as well, hook up your Windows 7 PC and make sure you get a IPv6 address. Then you know your area CMTS is good to go, put your router in place..

Well, I went ahead and did that. From what I can tell, things are working the way they should be, and I have IPv6! :)

I powered off my desktop, and unplugged it from my switch. I then reset my cable modem with the little pin button on the back.

Once the cable modem was back up, I plugged my desktop directly into it, and powered it back on.

Upon getting into Windows 7, I did an ipconfig. That information is posted above for review.

Seeing both what appears to be a valid IPv4 and an IPv6 IP, I then go to run a test over at test-ipv6.com. Those results are posted as well.

Knowing I got 10/10, I would think life is good! :)

EDIT: I did a few more tests. I know it is WAY to early to do this, but I turned off IPv4 (unchecked the box on the network card, and disabled "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter and "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" in device manager).

I added two new pictures. One shows an ipconfig with just an IPv6, and the other shows a ping and a tracert to google.

Outside of the following two sites, not much else worked. Which, is expected, as most places don't have things setup for only IPv6 just yet.

http://ipv6.google.com/
http://ipv6.speedtest.comcast.net/

So, as far as I can tell, I can get both IPv4 and IPv6 IP's from Comcast now.

Now, its on to my router! :) If I run into issues or questions with that, I'll start a new thread.

--Brian