Search similar:

uniqs

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

[Thunderbird] Sent messages duplicated ?

Running the latest version of Thunderbird, though this has occurred for as long as I can remember, but I have (2) sub-folders under the main "Sent" folder. This is an IMAP setup, by the way.

I have:
Sent Mail - user@domain.com
Sent - user@domain.com

Under the account settings, under "When sending messages, automatically:
Place a copy in:
• "Sent" Folder on: user@domain.com

I've no idea why messages are ending up in "Sent mail" on the IMAP side.

Actually, now that I look at the Google side (they're the IMAP provider), there's no "Sent" folder but is a "Sent Mail". Well, I take that back as I do have "[IMAP]/Sent". I see no options for configuring this on the Google side though.

Any suggestions ?
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

Gmail automatically copies sent messages to the Sent Mail "folder", so you don't need to have Thunderbird send an extra copy (to [IMAP]/Sent). You may want to send a copy to a local folder though (for offline access).

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Yes, I found that the source of the problem seems to be on the Google Mail side. Thunderbird simply replicates the folder structure in IMAP mode. It's odd that Google has both a "Sent Mail" and "[IMAP]/Sent" folder.

If I can remember what I did, I'll post it... just in case someone else runs into this (but based on the overwhelming number of responses, I'm not sure anyone will !! :-D).

I do wonder, are they just "soft links" between those folders or were they in fact duplicates ? I didn't pay attention to my mail folder size before and after... I should have though !
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

The "Sent Mail" label/folder is an integral part of Gmail; the "[IMAP]/Sent" label/folder is created due to the settings of your email client (Thunderbird in your case). Gmail doesn't require any of the labels/folders beginning with "[IMAP]". Thunderbird doesn't require them either but is responsible for them being created. Changing the account settings in Thunderbird can keep them from being used, at which point you can delete them in Gmail (if you want).