Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to JohnInSJ

Mod

to JohnInSJ

Re: Microsoft Surface Pricing

You didn't read my post carefully enough. I completely understand the difference. Metro itself on WIN8 needs a lot of help. That's the direction Microsoft wants us to go in and the apps they have provided are only mediocre. What does everyone want to do when they experience Windows 8 for the first time? They want to get rid of Metro and add a start menu to their Windows Desktop. That's because for now, Metro has little to offer. There is nothing especially compelling and few of us have touch screens. Metro is the future that Microsoft has prescribed for us, not Windows.

The Intel based Surface could do a lot to open the door for the acceptance that Windows 8 has yet to receive. With the device, there is a benefit to finding ways to do things with Metro but if not, you can always fall back to Windows. If they sell enough there is a benefit for developers to spend their time, whether it be on the ARM or Intel based Surface. I just think Microsoft needs to lose a little money here with the big picture in mind. The touch screen has become widely accepted by the world for personal computing and Microsoft has been 99.9% left out. They are so late, it is ridiculous. Whatever the platform, Microsoft needs to sell a lot of these really fast.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Kramer:

What does everyone want to do when they experience Windows 8 for the first time? They want to get rid of Metro and add a start menu to their Windows Desktop.

No, not everyone. Just some people. Mostly people who have been using Windows since the before times.

The surface IS a touch screen Windows 8 tablet. It's quite good.