share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to MikeC578

Re: [WIN7] BSOD and the Minidump... how to analyze it?

Sometimes, it may take hours for a MemTest86+ test to turn up problems. One pass is not necessarily enough, multiple passes running for 24 hours (or more) may be necessary.

MikeC578

join:2012-11-30
Mississauga, ON
I'm going to run it now and let it run throughout the night... I'll let you know tomorrow if anythings up... I really appreciate your suggestions guys!
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON
running now - downloaded the latest version of memtest86+ for 64 bit pc's... v. 4.20
I'll be in touch - already well into it's 1st pass - nothing noted in the rror column
--
Mike C

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
I've often seen tests that won't indicate failure until well into multiple tests. I saw a test that didn't fail until the RAM was at a certain temperature which of course was only after multiple tests.

Temperature of the RAM can make the difference just like CPUs can fail when they are running too hot.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
reply to MikeC578
Also, if problems persist consider updating the BIOS to the latest version.

The present BIOS version, according to the minidump file, is 0906:

kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 2.7, DMIVersion 39, Size=3886]
BiosMajorRelease = 4
BiosMinorRelease = 6
BiosVendor = American Megatrends Inc.
BiosVersion = 0906
BiosReleaseDate = 03/26/2012
SystemManufacturer = System manufacturer
SystemProductName = System Product Name
SystemFamily = To be filled by O.E.M.
SystemVersion = System Version
SystemSKU = SKU
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoardProduct = P8Z77-V DELUXE
BaseBoardVersion = Rev 1.xx

The latest version appears to be 1709 and several of the more recent updates address stability.

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON
You have a point re: the BIOS. Memtest has been running for almost 8 hours - still no errors...
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON
Memtest has been running for over 16 hours now - no errors... gonna update the BIOS after I let the program run until the full 24 hours has come and gone...
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

1 edit
downloadMinidump Dec 1.zip 24,498 bytes
Well - it ran for 24 hours - 7 complete passes... I then updated the BIOS to the latest version, opened Studio 16 and every other program I could - let it sit for about 50 minutes - no issues... then I started to edit some video on the timeline and BAM! BSOD. I've attached the latest Minidump file - any ideas?
--
Mike C

No errors on memtest...

I did some checking on my intel SSD and it's listed in the Device Manager as a SCSI disc... should've I changed that to AHCI in the BIOS before I installed Windows?