spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rich

@comcast.net

farce

Notice AT&T says simultaneous talk and surf. When you are on a call your speeds are now capped at 1mbps down and 25kbps up. At these low speeds you may be able to surf to a low graphics website, but forget about any meaningful internet access or apps such as Facebook. I no longer even try to use the internet while on a call. They snuck this cap in around last April. Galaxy S3, no LTE here yet.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
said by Rich :

Notice AT&T says simultaneous talk and surf. When you are on a call your speeds are now capped at 1mbps down and 25kbps up. At these low speeds you may be able to surf to a low graphics website, but forget about any meaningful internet access or apps such as Facebook. I no longer even try to use the internet while on a call. They snuck this cap in around last April. Galaxy S3, no LTE here yet.

I have never had that problem. Sounds like a phone issue.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

Rich

@comcast.net
It's not a phone issue. It's well documented and reported on. People confirmed it different phones and different plans. AT&T acknowledges it.Turn off wifi. Do a speed test. Then begin a phone call. Do another test during the call. It will drop to these levels. If it doesn't then possibily the "network management" isn't being done in your area.

gwhall007

join:2001-11-12
Niles, MI
This is a great example of everyone thinking the absolute worst about AT&T (for no reason other than people just love to bash AT&T), when in reality the "speed cap" change you are referring to was made to help customers.

You see, an MRAB (Multi-RAB - Radio Access Bearer) call (technical term for a simultaneous voice and data call) is much more prone to dropping calls. Many handsets are very bad about dropping these MRAB calls. To help prevent these dropped calls, which helps customer satisfaction, AT&T made some optimizations to still provide useable data speeds while on a voice call, but provide more robustness to the radio connection and reduce the drops.

AT&T was, and is, simply looking to help customers and prevent dropped calls and other issues, yet they still get bashed. They can't win, unfortunately. Especially when sites like this one are seemingly on a mission to paint them in the worst light possible.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by gwhall007:

You see, an MRAB (Multi-RAB - Radio Access Bearer) call (technical term for a simultaneous voice and data call) is much more prone to dropping calls. Many handsets are very bad about dropping these MRAB calls. To help prevent these dropped calls, which helps customer satisfaction, AT&T made some optimizations to still provide useable data speeds while on a voice call, but provide more robustness to the radio connection and reduce the drops.

AT&T was, and is, simply looking to help customers and prevent dropped calls and other issues, yet they still get bashed. They can't win, unfortunately. Especially when sites like this one are seemingly on a mission to paint them in the worst light possible.

I kind of wondered about that... thanks for the explanation.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!