All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
maximusqb
join:2005-02-21

maximusqb

TW charging for my own modem scam

I bought a Motola Surfboard 5100 modem in 2005, the one with the pause button on top, which I have the retail packaging and receipt for still and TW refused to believe it is mine. They say their records show it is theirs even though the serial number didn't match up. They had sent a tech here earlier to work on a cable tv issue, I wasn't home but my friend was and after checking the tech called in telling them the customer claimed it was their modem and they still wouldn't budge. My friend told the tech that we have had that modem since it was adelphia and he said that that modem would not have worked with adelphia at all. What kind of scam artists are they that when you have proof that the you purchased the modem and they still won't accept that. What do I do now to get them to understand? Any suggestions.
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced

What proof, other than your claims, do you have? Do you have receipts? Box?

Lowtarget
Premium Member
join:2003-12-22
Alger, OH

1 edit

Lowtarget to maximusqb

Premium Member

to maximusqb
Call them and ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them you got the modem package and receipt still.

If they still don't budge just threaten to stop service over it. Tell them your not paying rent on something you own. Better yet threaten to report them to BBB.

Tell them you will include copy of the receipt and pic of the package and send it to BBB when you report them. If you choose to report them include your TWC bill showing you being charged modem rent fee.

If they are playing dirty and trying to get a fee you should not be paying. Pull the gloves off and get ready to rock and roll over it.

When 30/5 service first became available in my area we choosen to upgrade coming from turbo. When the tech showed up to change out the modem.

I had him disable the built in wireless in the D3 modem. Since I was planning on using my linksys e3000 wireless router.

On the first bill after upgrading I seen a small fee for the wireless part of the modem. First time I called them a guy said it's part of the 30/5 package and could not be removed.

So I hanged up and called them again and talked to a lady. I told her why should I pay for the wireless access part. If I'm using my own wireless router and not the modem's.

She told me to hang on and talked to her supervisor. Couple mins later she came back on the phone. She then told me the fee could be removed and done it for me.

I then never been charged again for the wireless part of the D3 modem.
Fleeced

Fleeced to maximusqb

to maximusqb
Unless there was a charge that wasn't removed properly, wireless is part of the "extreme" D3 speed ($20). So you'd have the base + 20, anything other than that was just an account error and someone not actually looking.
maximusqb

maximusqb to Fleeced

to Fleeced
As it states in my post, I have the retail packaging and receipt for the modem.
maximusqb

maximusqb to Lowtarget

to Lowtarget
Thanks Lowtarget for your input.
Gemutlich
join:2012-06-14

Gemutlich to maximusqb

to maximusqb
If you're unable to get it resolved by telephone through your usual customer center, you could stop by in person and show them the packaging, receipt, etc. Or you can ask for advice in the TWC Direct forum where you can communicate directly with someone from TWC, and see if they can take care of it for you or at least tell you what you need to do to get it resolved. Here's the link:

»/fo ··· erdirect

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to maximusqb

Premium Member

to maximusqb
If you can get to a front counter with your receipts etc that would be the way to go. Its hard for any phone agent to take care of this.

Hob
Fleeced

Fleeced to maximusqb

to maximusqb
Sorry, I somehow missed that line the 4 times I read it. Either way, if the modem was added originally with Adelphia then transferred to TWC, there's a chance that when TWC added the modem, they added as if it was Adelphia's inventory. Front counter with the receipt is your best bet.
maximusqb

1 edit

maximusqb

First, thank you for all the helpful replies. I was unable to get it sorted by phone. So I'm going to try bringing everything into the the TW office when I get a chance, which is difficult with my work schedule working nights and a lot of overtime, and hopefully get it resolved then. Not too happy that I have to waste more of my time to sort out an issue that never should have happened in the first place. I Had about a 25 minute wait on the phone before I could even get a person to talk to at TW and then another 10 minutes of talking and there is nothing they could do. Then I had to dig around in my attic looking through boxes for another 20 minutes to find the Motorola packaging which luckily had the receipt inside. I've Been thinking of ditching the TW service anyway and this experience may be the straw that broke the camel back. It could be a week or two before I get a chance to get to the TW office, but I will post the results of the visit.

Hob or other: I am curious though, why would the tech who was in our house and another on the phone claim that my Motorola 5100 modem was not compatible with Adelphia? Not sure how they would come to that conclusion as i've had this modem all the while with Adelphia and then TW. It feels like they are calling me a liar or just stupid when I know better than them.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"Hob or other: I am curious though, why would the tech who was in our house and another on the phone claim that my Motorola 5100 modem was not compatible with Adelphia? Not sure how they would come to that conclusion as i've had this modem all the while with Adelphia and then TW."

The 5100 was a very popular model with Adelphia. I have no idea what they were talking about.

Hob
maximusqb

maximusqb

That's is what and remember reading from this forum how reliable that modem was and it is the main reason I went out out bought it. Thanks Hob
Fleeced

Fleeced to maximusqb

to maximusqb
There is no telling what the rep was saying, but a cable modem is a cable modem. It's not like TWC bought Adelphia and then swapped every single modem. Probably just a sales agent trying to get you off the phone to make a sale.