Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

Re: Personal info of 1m compromised in Nationwide breach

An edit to add to my already too lengthy previous post.
I received an email from Nationwide's MA issuer with some follow up questions which would should be added to the info submitted online.

1. Is your car registered in MA? If so, please send the license plate number. If not please send the VIN number.
2. At what age did you first get your drivers license?
3. How long have you lived in Boston, MA?
4. Are there any other licensed drivers in the household? If so, please provide their Name & Date of Birth and/or their drivers license #.
5. Are you currently a student? If so, do you have over a 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA)?

Question 4 is a mind blower.
I don't want to even guess at the scope of the data Nationwide handed over.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

The reason for answering number 4 is because (at least in Massachusetts) typical auto insurance policy language states that a failure to appropriate list drivers in your household may result in the company refusing to pay claims. Ignore that at your own peril.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by jack b:

The reason for answering number 4 is ...

I assumed it was about something such as that, thanks for clarifying it.
Part of the reason Question 4. jumped at me was this from this disclosure from the link
"Elizabeth Giannetti, a Nationwide spokeswoman, confirmed with SCMagazine.com on Thursday that the incident, where a "portion" of the company's computer network was breached, affects customers, as well as people that requested quotes from Nationwide.

If it turns out that people who only requested a quote without purchasing a policy say a year ago were affected Nationwide may have redefined the worst case scenario.

Imagine giving up every licensed drivers stuff in the household, I'd be toast.
Of course this is just conjecture but it's slightly informed conjecture.

btw Hawaii went the opposite way ~2yrs ago.
Insurance companies may not request information on household members but it is good to have them listed if they drive the auto being insured