Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

[Parts Check] Which SSD?

My system I built this summer that's a M-ATX system well I decided I will make it into a DVR.

Anyways seeing as a 2.5" drive the largest is 1TB and the case only has a single 3.5" slot but I have a 3.5" to dual 2.5" adapter. Anyways I was thinking about getting a large size SSD but then I thought about it, I have a 60GB on this system now, a muskin conrons while not speedy (first SSD) I think it would do just fine for a standalone DVR?

The other drives I was looking at to replace the one I take out of this system would be these here

Crucial 128 GB CT128M4SSD2
Crucial 256 GB CT256M4SSD2CCA
Intel 330 SSDSC2CT240A3K5
Crucial 256 GB CT256M4SSD2

Which one would you pick out of that?

And for the HD I was thinking this should be fine
a WD 1TB blue.
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Anyone?

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Intel are the industry leaders we are told.
Can't really help you beyond that - I've not stepped up to the plate on these yet.

Maybe one of the gurus will help.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
The Mushkin should work fine provided you're not installing a ton of other software. The video would be going on the WD, so other than loading the OS, the SSD will probably be sitting idle most of the time.

The Crucial M4 is a good, if not blazing fast drive. The second one you listed includes a data migration kit. If you don't need migrate anything, you can obviously skip that model.

The Intel 330 seems to be good as well, although I haven't read a ton about it. I just had a 180 GB model arrive today, it'll be going in my mom's laptop.

Samsung is another SSD manufacturer that I'm fond of. The 830 series is fast, reliable, and pretty cheap (if you can still find them, that is). The 840 and 840 Pro just came out and are nice drives, although the Pro is relatively pricey right now (but damn fast).

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

rusdi to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
I have both, Mushkin Chronos,(240GB model), and Intel, (128GB).
Both running 24/7/365 with no problems.

Both blazin' fast and, so far reliable as the sun coming up today.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA

koitsu to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
What OS do you plan on using the drive with?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
I have both a 240GB Intel 330 and a 256GB Crucial M4. I like them both and would recommend them both. Intel has some nice tools and utilities though. Generally speaking I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu
said by koitsu:

As far as I know right now Windows 7, does windows 8 have media center or do you have to pay for that now?
Subaru

Subaru to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I have both a 240GB Intel 330 and a 256GB Crucial M4. I like them both and would recommend them both. Intel has some nice tools and utilities though. Generally speaking I don't think you can go wrong either way.

So the SSD size is pretty good then, the Crucial or Intel those would be going in the system I have now, I wont see the speed benefits of it until I get a new motherboard but at least I could get my DVR running..

Man speaking of that (I have to look) I would need something with digital or optical out so I could connect to my receiver, I'm pretty sure my motherboard has a header for it..

For a dedicated DVR how much memory should I add? It has two slots I was thinking maybe 8GB?

I wont run everything until after the new year since I have to get the cable card tuner and my projector and need to have cable installed again.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Generally speaking, I think the speed benefits of an SSD even at SATA 3G speeds is significant and noticeable. If you have a SATA 6G capable SSD but only a SATA 3G controller on your motherboard you are leaving some performance on the table but empirically (for this type of application) I don't think you'll see a difference.

I haven't setup a CableCard system yet dispite having both a Hauppauge dual CableCard USB unit and rented CableCard sitting around. So I can not say from experience but I was under the impression that the protected path necessary for CableCard required HDMI / HDCP. Therefore I am unsure how optical would factor into that type of configuration.

As for RAM density, 4GB is probably fine but DDR3 RAM is so cheap these days you might as well go for 8GB. I forget the minimum recommendation for CableCard but going above that minimum is ideal IMO.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
For the time being, if you're running Windows 8 Pro, Media Center is a free add-on. You can get it here. If you're running regular Windows 8, then you'll have to get the Pro Pack (Pro bits+Media Center), which does cost extra.
Thordrune

Thordrune to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Generally speaking, I think the speed benefits of an SSD even at SATA 3G speeds is significant and noticeable.

Just to add to that, in my experience, it's even quite a noticeable increase in performance on a 1.5 Gbps system .

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Thordrune:

said by Octavean:

Generally speaking, I think the speed benefits of an SSD even at SATA 3G speeds is significant and noticeable.

Just to add to that, in my experience, it's even quite a noticeable increase in performance on a 1.5 Gbps system .

lol it's well I'm using an old intel 775 M-ITX system in my ATX case it sucks big time since my gigabyte board just went dead one day :-/

on the upside I'm going to just upgrade the system but that 2nd phase is going to be late jan-feb.
Subaru

Subaru to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

For the time being, if you're running Windows 8 Pro, Media Center is a free add-on. You can get it here. If you're running regular Windows 8, then you'll have to get the Pro Pack (Pro bits+Media Center), which does cost extra.

Hmm as seeing nothing really changed in the windows 8 version of media center then it's pointless to get Windows 8 for the DVR, I might just get it for the desktop.. having said that Windows 8 the system builder one is the non-upgrade version right?

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

said by koitsu:

As far as I know right now Windows 7, does windows 8 have media center or do you have to pay for that now?

No idea -- but thanks. If you were using XP I'd have recommended the Intel drives, solely because Intel provides a utility to help induce TRIM (you have to run it manually, maybe once a week, but big deal). The other vendors don't offer this AFAIK. But since you'd be using 7 which has TRIM support natively, brand doesn't matter.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

3 edits

Subaru to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Generally speaking, I think the speed benefits of an SSD even at SATA 3G speeds is significant and noticeable. If you have a SATA 6G capable SSD but only a SATA 3G controller on your motherboard you are leaving some performance on the table but empirically (for this type of application) I don't think you'll see a difference.

I haven't setup a CableCard system yet dispite having both a Hauppauge dual CableCard USB unit and rented CableCard sitting around. So I can not say from experience but I was under the impression that the protected path necessary for CableCard required HDMI / HDCP. Therefore I am unsure how optical would factor into that type of configuration.

As for RAM density, 4GB is probably fine but DDR3 RAM is so cheap these days you might as well go for 8GB. I forget the minimum recommendation for CableCard but going above that minimum is ideal IMO.

crap looking at my board in the system I would be using it in (msi h61m-p31) not seeing anything as far as a digital audio header just yet but grabbing the user guide now to double check.

*edit never mind I found it

Ok wait never mind about finding it :-/

OK looks like the cheapest way to get digital out would be to use a external box like this

»www.amazon.com/Vantec-Ex ··· FGKR5LWV

I have something like this but I think it only does 2 channel via optical out.

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

Sandman37 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

the system builder one is the non-upgrade version right?

I'm almost certain that that's what Microsoft said.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

ok just making sure.