All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network

Gas stove - Orange Flame

The flame on all burners of our gas stove are orange. Who do I call to check this? Appliance repairman, gas company, HVAC guy? From what I've found online it could be a number of things at fault causing this, which is where my confusion comes from on who to call to fix it.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

Best to not use it and call your gas supplier. If they hedge on sending someone, drop a hint that you might smell gas.....

UHF
Premium,MVM

The only number I can find for service at the gas company is to report a gas leak
I remember when they used to send someone out to check on stuff like that.

UHF
Premium,MVM
reply to UHF

The wife just informed me it has always been this way since it was installed in February. Maybe when it was delivered and installed they didn't adjust something? I've never had a gas stove before.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to UHF

I believe that's from not having enough oxygen mixed in, from what I gather.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to UHF

It needs to be adjusted to provide more air to the burners. Shouldn't be hard to do. You will have to lift the cooktop. It hinges at the back.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
reply to UHF

Orange flame or yellow flame?

»Gas stove orange flame

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to UHF

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

According to google, that sort of coloring = service call style.

UHF
Premium,MVM
reply to UHF

Wife is going to call the appliance service people. I don't think I want to mess around with gas. I looked in the manual and it says there are no adjustments for the surface burners. The top does not lift off.

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA
reply to UHF

The color of the flame certainly isn't right. It should be a light blue>dark blue almost purple (indigo) at the tip of the flame, and is there some wind blowing from the left?

UHF
Premium,MVM

It does look like there's wind. I don't know what is causing that.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Did you try taking the burners off and making sure everything was clean?

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA
reply to UHF

Got a ceiling fan on or HVAC vent aimed that direction? And happened to be on when you took that shot?

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to UHF

Everything is clean. No fans on. Just looked at it again and the flame is blue now. It pulsates though. Since it's under warranty I'm going to have it looked at just to be sure there isn't a problem with it. Better to catch it now than when the warranty is up.

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

Pulsating flame is usually a sign of varying gas pressure . May be from a bad regulator . or may be a sign of undersized or excessive length gas line . Can also be caused by having 2 regulators in the system set at the same or almost the same pressure . Any competent service tech should be able to check for this .
Will say that the picture that you posted does not look " right ".
A properly set and burning burner should have an even flame height all the way around . Are all your burners like that or just some of them ?

As far as orange in the flames , a quick test you can run . Tap on the gas line with the handle of a screwdriver or a knife . If you see bursts of orange in the flame , the orange is caused by corrosion or contaminants in the line . This is not normally a big issue . What you most want to look for is yellow in the flame , since this is a sign of incomplete combustion .

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to UHF

orange flame= not enough oxygen being mixed.. At my apartment this seems to happen when it gets cold out for some reason but on other days it's blue and no issue.

skut

join:2001-11-09
Ajax, ON

How far up is your apartment? Do you keep doors and windows sealed at this time of year when its cold? Might be a sign of stale air in your home.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1st floor

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to UHF

If its been that way from day one, I'd wonder if the appropriate orifice is installed (propane vs. ng)?

Appliance tech that works with gas, or an hvac guy should be able to check easily enough...

skut

join:2001-11-09
Ajax, ON
reply to Subaru

Just for the heck of it, next time you see it burning orange, crack open a window and see if that changes the flame colour back to blue.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by skut:

Just for the heck of it, next time you see it burning orange, crack open a window and see if that changes the flame colour back to blue.

I will try.

helpful

@rr.com
reply to UHF

Hope I'm not too late to help- We had the same problem and spent a lot of time trying to "fix" our stovetop, only to find out that the change in color was caused by our ionizer humidifer putting particles in the air. Yellow flame indicates incomplete combusion and is risky, but orange flame isn't bad as far as we have been able to determine. We had our carbon monoxide levels tested with all four burner buring fully open with orange flame, and everything was fine. Turn off your humidifer for a day and then test and you'll see. Our flames turned blue in about six hours. There is also a youtube video that shows this vividly at www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiP1KcPdQMo. Have a great holiday!

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by helpful :

Hope I'm not too late to help- We had the same problem and spent a lot of time trying to "fix" our stovetop, only to find out that the change in color was caused by our ionizer humidifer putting particles in the air. Yellow flame indicates incomplete combusion and is risky, but orange flame isn't bad as far as we have been able to determine. We had our carbon monoxide levels tested with all four burner buring fully open with orange flame, and everything was fine. Turn off your humidifer for a day and then test and you'll see. Our flames turned blue in about six hours. There is also a youtube video that shows this vividly at www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiP1KcPdQMo. Have a great holiday!

May have a winner. Calcium burns a redish-orange. If you have an ultrasonic or misting type humidifier running off tap water, you could have a relatively high amount of calcium/lime dust in your air. That gets into the flame and changes it's color. Maybe anyways.

I've noticed that using tap water in an ultrasonic humidifier causes the air to become extremely hazy due to the minerals in the air.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
reply to UHF

If it's an older, (circa 195X) house, I would almost bet you have a gas line cracked.

I have an older rent house we lived in for a lot of years, and I noticed "orange burner flame" when it was raining. Lucky for us, (if you can call it lucky) the line was outside and I noticed my yard bubbling one day after a hard rain, and could smell the gas!

I turned off the gas meter, and had the old line replaced with new plastic pipe. No more psychedelic colored burner flames.

Good luck, hope you find the problem.

UHF
Premium,MVM
reply to UHF

Do have a humidifier, but it's an Aprilaire on the furnace, not an ultrasonic type.

Whatever the problem was, it's gone away. The flame is nice and blue now.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

Is the flame still burning lopsided?

DanderLions

@pnap.net
reply to UHF

Check for pet dander too same problem with us and we ran the HVAC steady for a day and it fixed it. Six cats and all the vacuuming in the world can't help us.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Raphion

said by Raphion:

said by helpful :

May have a winner. Calcium burns a redish-orange. If you have an ultrasonic or misting type humidifier running off tap water, you could have a relatively high amount of calcium/lime dust in your air. That gets into the flame and changes it's color. Maybe anyways.

I've noticed that using tap water in an ultrasonic humidifier causes the air to become extremely hazy due to the minerals in the air.

Hmm first I heard of this and I do have a ultrasonic humidifier.. However it's been off for the past week or so.

I just turned the burners on and it's burning the normal blue, I have to try it again with the humidifier on again to see what happens.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to DanderLions

said by DanderLions :

Check for pet dander too same problem with us and we ran the HVAC steady for a day and it fixed it. Six cats and all the vacuuming in the world can't help us.

I have two dogs and two cats. Maybe this is the problem. It seems to operate normally now, with just some very occasional orange flames.