Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skutflut

join:2001-11-09
Ajax, ON
reply to Subaru

Re: Gas stove - Orange Flame

Just for the heck of it, next time you see it burning orange, crack open a window and see if that changes the flame colour back to blue.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
said by skutflut:

Just for the heck of it, next time you see it burning orange, crack open a window and see if that changes the flame colour back to blue.

I will try.

helpful

@rr.com
reply to UHF
Hope I'm not too late to help- We had the same problem and spent a lot of time trying to "fix" our stovetop, only to find out that the change in color was caused by our ionizer humidifer putting particles in the air. Yellow flame indicates incomplete combusion and is risky, but orange flame isn't bad as far as we have been able to determine. We had our carbon monoxide levels tested with all four burner buring fully open with orange flame, and everything was fine. Turn off your humidifer for a day and then test and you'll see. Our flames turned blue in about six hours. There is also a youtube video that shows this vividly at www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiP1KcPdQMo. Have a great holiday!

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by helpful :

Hope I'm not too late to help- We had the same problem and spent a lot of time trying to "fix" our stovetop, only to find out that the change in color was caused by our ionizer humidifer putting particles in the air. Yellow flame indicates incomplete combusion and is risky, but orange flame isn't bad as far as we have been able to determine. We had our carbon monoxide levels tested with all four burner buring fully open with orange flame, and everything was fine. Turn off your humidifer for a day and then test and you'll see. Our flames turned blue in about six hours. There is also a youtube video that shows this vividly at www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiP1KcPdQMo. Have a great holiday!

May have a winner. Calcium burns a redish-orange. If you have an ultrasonic or misting type humidifier running off tap water, you could have a relatively high amount of calcium/lime dust in your air. That gets into the flame and changes it's color. Maybe anyways.

I've noticed that using tap water in an ultrasonic humidifier causes the air to become extremely hazy due to the minerals in the air.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
reply to UHF
If it's an older, (circa 195X) house, I would almost bet you have a gas line cracked.

I have an older rent house we lived in for a lot of years, and I noticed "orange burner flame" when it was raining. Lucky for us, (if you can call it lucky) the line was outside and I noticed my yard bubbling one day after a hard rain, and could smell the gas!

I turned off the gas meter, and had the old line replaced with new plastic pipe. No more psychedelic colored burner flames.

Good luck, hope you find the problem.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to UHF
Do have a humidifier, but it's an Aprilaire on the furnace, not an ultrasonic type.

Whatever the problem was, it's gone away. The flame is nice and blue now.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
Is the flame still burning lopsided?

DanderLions

@pnap.net
reply to UHF
Check for pet dander too same problem with us and we ran the HVAC steady for a day and it fixed it. Six cats and all the vacuuming in the world can't help us.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Raphion
said by Raphion:

said by helpful :

May have a winner. Calcium burns a redish-orange. If you have an ultrasonic or misting type humidifier running off tap water, you could have a relatively high amount of calcium/lime dust in your air. That gets into the flame and changes it's color. Maybe anyways.

I've noticed that using tap water in an ultrasonic humidifier causes the air to become extremely hazy due to the minerals in the air.

Hmm first I heard of this and I do have a ultrasonic humidifier.. However it's been off for the past week or so.

I just turned the burners on and it's burning the normal blue, I have to try it again with the humidifier on again to see what happens.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to DanderLions
said by DanderLions :

Check for pet dander too same problem with us and we ran the HVAC steady for a day and it fixed it. Six cats and all the vacuuming in the world can't help us.

I have two dogs and two cats. Maybe this is the problem. It seems to operate normally now, with just some very occasional orange flames.

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to UHF
You should get that checked out. You don't want this to happen:

»www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_sit···_600.jpg

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
reply to UHF
The spraying of air fresheners in the air will cause orange flames too for several hours.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to UHF
turned on the ultrasonic humidifier again and yep flames are orange again, never thought of that because of the humidifier.

UHF
Premium,MVM
reply to UHF
My orange flame comes and goes. I have an April Air whole house humidifier on the furnace, so I wonder if that's what it is. House always seems to be dusty as well, despite having a 4" media filter in the furnace.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
reply to UHF
Ok guess I will jump in here. Now I am getting similar orange flame. Not as bad as OP picture but used to be almost always blue. Never had this until today. No ultrasonic humidifier or any ionizing filters.

So does this leave bad oxygen mixture.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by dcurrey:

Ok guess I will jump in here. Now I am getting similar orange flame. Not as bad as OP picture but used to be almost always blue. Never had this until today. No ultrasonic humidifier or any ionizing filters.

So does this leave bad oxygen mixture.

Has anyone sprayed anything into the air recently?
--

dcurrey
Premium
No but I think I have it figured out! Wouldn't have guessed it in a million years.

Still testing however.

dcurrey
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
Ok I solved it. Sort of.

It appears its my daughter nebulizer casing it. It just uses compressed air so not sure why that would effect the stove. Maybe the medicine itself in the air.

Takes about 5 hours for flames to return to normal.

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA
reply to UHF
There's a little air opening in the gas tube that runs from the valve to the burner. It usually has a square opening cut-out with a sleeve around it that you can rotate to adjust the amount of air that is mixed with the gas. There's often a little set screw to keep it tight. Loosen the set screw, than adjust the air intake until the flame gets as blue as you can get it. Then tighten the screw and you're good to go. It may be one of the configurations shown above.

The flame doesn't look too bad in the picture. There is usually a little orange at the tips, and it changes when there are drafts or other air disturbances around the stove. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to dcurrey
said by dcurrey:

Ok I solved it. Sort of.

It appears its my daughter nebulizer casing it. It just uses compressed air so not sure why that would effect the stove. Maybe the medicine itself in the air.

Takes about 5 hours for flames to return to normal.

Yep, ANY irregularity in the air will cause it.
--