laggy gaming
tcp delays up too 500ms
packet loss
200 modem resets per hour

i am using the premier internet service 20 down 2 up
all hard wired connections
modem signal levels are spot on where they should be
i am using a Cisco DPQ3212 eMTA

i am having speed fluctuations for a few hours i will have no issues and then bam slow speeds pages not loading etc

so i called cox tech support they told me i had huge number of resets on my modem up too 200 a hour

so they sent a tech out they replaced the modem and changed the connection at the tap then they left

i ran a line quality test on this site and was still getting packet loss
and still seeing high tcp delay times on test.lvcm.com

the results look very similar to this video i made sometime ago

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· j9ObSWCY

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

I have checked mine and am having no problems. I have the same tier and modem.
bryant313
join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

its either my home then or my area

just ran a test 30 minutes ago on this site and am still getting packet loss

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas to bryant313

to bryant313
Bryant313,

I thought I had your MAC in a PM already but I can't immediately find it. Can you send it to me and I'll take a look.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

tech #2 came out yesterday

he checked all the lines inside the home
at the tap and at the dmark and found nothing

he said that since i am at the end of the line (end of the street last on that run) that my tap needed to be grounded and it was not so that is in the works to be fixed

he also found some return spikes on the neighbors connection he swapped a splitter out and the spikes vanished

came back inside after he left ran some test still seeing packet loss through the line quality ping test on dslreports these are the same areas where i am seeing packet loss

between 5 to 10 percent on the basic ping
up too 10 percent on your first hop

and for low medium and high bandwidth anywhere from 5 to 10 percent as well

on the jitter and loss graphs their are spikes and lots of them

and it seems that always on my first or final hop on the mtr test
i am always losing anywhere from 1 to 10 percent

RAN THE TEST.LVCM.COM TEST

and am still seeing high tcp delays over 250ms
bryant313

bryant313 to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
sent it too you
Thank You
bryant313

bryant313 to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
so the cox maintenance man was out here today to install the grounding bar for the tap

well he sat outside my home for more than a hour i got sick of waiting so i left for 45 minutes came home and checked the tap and no work was done what so ever

so i wonder why he did not do it or what happened?
bryant313

3 edits

bryant313 to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
getting over 25 percent packet loss right now

just called cox again k4 will be calling me tomorrow

bryant313

bryant313

seems that today the tcp spikes are much lower and the packet loss is 0 percent i really hope this is the last of this cause its getting very old
bryant313

1 edit

bryant313

well i spoke too soon having packet loss and high pings again grrrrrr what is going on >.

getting d and f ratting for my connection
bryant313

bryant313

called cox back again spoke to tier 2 tech support again they are baffled

they told me that using dslreports line quality test and pingtest.net
are not good enough sources to test for this issue

so k4 will call me again tomorrow and hopefully they leave me a call back number

jvfricke
@cox.net

jvfricke

Anon

Getting the exact same problem. Using ultimate internet in las vegas. It started out of the blue a week or two ago. Packet loss is the biggest problem, anywhere from 2 to 10% over the last few days. And just like you, mine was getting better last night or the night before and today it was terrible. Also got a modem reset or two since replacing my router recently. Cox said no problems and they replaced everything they owned inside my apartment and said they saw no problems. Would love to see a resolution.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

yep that is exactly what i am going through i have been getting the run around from cox trying to resolve this issue i have another tech visit today though i do not know what that is gonna accomplish since its not a issue that is in my home

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas to bryant313

to bryant313
Just so you know, we have been looking at this, but the main problem is, as always, "it works for us".

Now, before everyone gets upset, we maintain quite a few test modems actually out in the field that we monitor very closely, and we can't see the problem from any of them. We've even ramped some of them past the point test.lvcm.com can even keep up (and that's getting fixed shortly) and STILL don't see it. We've tried popular websites (Facebook, CNN, Fox News, Fark, Google, Yahoo, Bing, many MANY others) and a few games (World of Warcraft, EQ2, Eve Online, the new Call of Duty, I even dug out Supreme Commander for crying out loud (which I STILL don't like as well as my beloved Total Annihilation, but I digress), and a few others) from those connections and don't see the problem. This is leading us to believe there is not a system-wide problem and issues are localized.

We are continuing to look at the individual problems. If folks are still having the problem, PM me with your modem MAC and the exact numeric IP address of the site(s) or games or whatever you're having problems with (please no "everywhere!" or "www.facebook.com" - those aren't really helpful). That'll hopefully give us a little refinement on where to look. Thanks.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

thank you so much i really do appreciate the help and hope its resolved soon i have k4 investigating the area today i will post updates
bryant313

bryant313 to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
k4 tech came out again their is packet loss on my entire street he swapped my modem and router out with a all in one Cisco router/modem

even after the swap their is still packet loss but this is just a test router to rule out mine

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

NM
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
UPDATE*******

Saturday Evening December 8
so over the weekend i was in contact with my k4 tech via email
sending him times and info on the packet loss the last contact i has was on Saturday December 8 he told me that maintenance would be out there between Sunday December 9 and Monday December 10

so i told him that was fine

Monday evening December 10
i was still having packet loss anywhere from 2 percent to 4 percent through ping test and a cmd ping test batch of 100 to google.com
i sent him the times and information never got a response

Tuesday December 11 Noon
ran some test's and still getting packet loss
cox k4 called me at 2pm asking if swapping the modem fixed the problem

i said the modem was not the issue i explained to him that the k4 tech that had been to my home and in contact with me found packet loss on the run from the amp to home 7 homes to be specific

he looked into it more and said my modem was no longer being monitored it had fallen off i started shaking my head getting a little annoyed since i was told this issue should have been resolved by today clearly that is not the case

he said maintenance will be out in the area tomorrow Wednesday December 12

i asked well the k4 tech was supposed to come back today?
the phone tech told me that he will not be available until Thursday December 13

this is getting old fast i was told this problem should take no more than 2 weeks max to be fixed and we are getting to that 2 week mark

so idk what to do except wait i mean its frustrating i can not game due to all the lag surfing the web and watching videos becomes impossible at times

what is the point of having higher speeds if they mean nothing when the quality of the service is degrading

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

Grrr, I STILL see the problems I saw before that maint was supposed to fix.

Re-escalating internally. Sorry about the problems here.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

so maintenance never came out or they dropped the issue?

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

They came out and fixed a couple other things, but not the issue I was seeing.

My escalation finally DID get someone out there to fix the (rather bad) noise floor we were seeing on an upstream around 2pm on the 12th.

Are you still seeing the problem?
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

since earlier in the day i have seen no issues no spiking tcp delays no packet loss after 3pm

i have a smoke ping running and will be testing over the next 24 hours heavily

also have my follow up with k4 tomorrow so far so good

Thank you so much your the man CoxVegas

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

Good to hear, and you're welcome.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well I think I knew bryant313 See Profile problem was better before you, by simply seeing all the damn line quality test he has been running on here LMAO :P
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

hahah yes i have a massive stockpile
bryant313

bryant313 to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
yep it looks like we are golden the issue is fixed thank you so much once again
jvfricke
join:2012-12-06

jvfricke to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
What should I do to fix my problem? Are they related?
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

are you having the same exact issues as me?
jvfricke
join:2012-12-06

jvfricke

Yeah I think so. What exactly did they do to fix it?
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

its what cox vegas said couple posts up