MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to bobrk

MVM

to bobrk

Re: iTunes 11 is out

said by bobrk:

Agree. I still buy CDs, and I've even been known, much to my wife's chagrin, to purchase LPs at garage sales.

I still have 200 LPs. I have converted them all to digital but there's something about reading the sleeve and flipping the disc at half time. Funny your wife doesn't like it. My girl LOVED the fact I had a turntable .

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

1 edit

bobrk

Premium Member

Can you share your methodology for converting your LPs? I currently have a mid-80's stereo set and have made some attempts, but have not completed my ripping of <100 records.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by bobrk:

Can you share your methodology for converting your LPs? I currently have a mid-80's stereo set and have made some attempts, but have not completed my ripping of

Sure. It's been a while so I need to fire up my laptop and refresh my memory on what software I was using.

I bought a USB Turntable. I believe I captured the LP audio to a single file (one for Side A, one for Side B) then used the software to put markers on the two files for the track splits. The software then splits the audio file in to separate tracks. I then added ID3 data and then imported in to iTunes. I'll get more specifics for you.

bobrk
Premium Member
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

Thanks! Windows or Mac OS X?

I have the basics down, but when I ripped one album, it sounded tinny. I know about the RIAA curve, and so I am taking the output of the tape jacks, but it still didn't sound right.

I then suspected the DtoA conversion in my old G5 Mac, so was going to use an old iMic adapter that I have laying around (thinking that might have a better DtoA converter.

Finally, I've replaced the old G5 with a mini and still haven't gotten around to trying the rip again.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

Windows but I am sure there are equivalents.

Phono output from a regular deck does not match line-in levels thus a receiver has to have a 'phono' input - you can't just hook to a tape or CD input. for eg. This is the RIAA curve you are referring to. the USB turntable I have already does that conversion and outputs through the USB. I'll get more details.

bobrk
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

Right, and presumably, the tape output is the same.