dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
This is a sub-selection from Just shut it down..
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to NiteSn0w

Premium Member

to NiteSn0w

Re: Just shut it down..

Tough titty! ... that's the cost of doing business. There is a date they go dark.. until that time they have to run the network. I disagree that they use a "fee" to "encourage quicker migration"... Comcast shut off their Digital Telephone service back around 2005 I believe it was.. at that time they let customers know that the service was going dark. They made several mailings, offered to migrate to their new CDV service.. made outbound calls.. even gave people a list of competitor's services they could go to in order to have continued service. At no time did Comcast charge their customers a "hurry up, we want to be done sooner rather than later" fee..

I do believe they were required to give notice and request a sunset date of the iDen service with the government. That's the date they have to live with. Just because the service costs them money as it gets close to the end, that's part of doing business. The fee is shitty and quite honestly if Sprint charged me that fee even once, it would be a sign that I need to look towards another provider.

Don't care if they want it gone and offline ASAP.. again, tough titty.. they need to follow the rules that they're required to as a communications provider. If they didn't want to run the iDen network they never should have tried this great disaster experiment called "Spring, Together with Nextel" in the first place. With the amount of money they wrote off as a loss from the merger, I think they can eat a few million..
NiteSn0w
join:2010-12-24

NiteSn0w

They've been trying to get rid of iDEN for years. They're finally getting rid of it and trying to either take customers over to CDMA/LTE or toss them to the side. I'm sure people will be more than willing to inquire as to why they're paying $10/mo extra. When the CSR tells them that it's because they need to switch to CDMA/LTE and get a new phone they'll probably do it and ask to have the $10 fee waived, which I think the CSR/Sprint will be more than willing to do if they're going to switch. It's probably more to get people's attention and raise a few extra dollars.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
And that's my point. Sprint is just about grabbing the money. The same as their $10 smart phone fee for 4G data. It wasn't charged for 3g or even 2g, only when they started out with 4g on wimax.

I wonder if this could be a breach of contract against Sprint since they are in fact changing their pricing.
NiteSn0w

NiteSn0w

said by TBBroadband:

And that's my point. Sprint is just about grabbing the money. The same as their $10 smart phone fee for 4G data. It wasn't charged for 3g or even 2g, only when they started out with 4g on wimax.

I wonder if this could be a breach of contract against Sprint since they are in fact changing their pricing.

It likely only applies to people out of contract which most iDEN customers will be because the phones aren't really made anymore and there's really been nothing new released in awhile.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

The $10 would apply to everyone still on the iDEN network on the Sprint postpaid side.

By charging this fee Sprint would be in breach of their contract as it would alter their price plan, especially a below the line fee that was never there to start off with.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

The $10 would apply to everyone still on the iDEN network on the Sprint postpaid side.

By charging this fee Sprint would be in breach of their contract as it would alter their price plan, especially a below the line fee that was never there to start off with.

no one wants to swap millions of units on 7/1/2013. Either the sub swaps now, or walks. If sprint breeches the contract, all the customer can do is walk anyway.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Well nobody agreed to allow Sprint to charge $10 per month either for a network that they were required and agreed to operate until 7/1/2013.

Someone needs to go and smack Sprint around a little bit for this. It wouldn't be permitted with anyone else, and if it was anyone else charging this fee, everyone would be all over complaining about it.

Also Sprint made their bed by allowing customers to switch back and forth and allowing them to keep signing up so now its time for Sprint to deal with what they created. This is another sign on Dan not knowing how to run a company and Sprint should have gotten rid of him long ago.
NiteSn0w

NiteSn0w

Allowing customers to switch back and forth how?
This is a sub-selection from Just shut it down..