uniqs

chong673
join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

chong673 to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: [Connectivity] Do I need to get an amplifer and active retur

Hello everyone.

I finally had a chance to plug the cable from outside my house straight directly into the modem without doing any splitter.

Here are numbers:

Downstream:
SN Ratio: 37db (stay the same)
Power level: 5 dBmV (from -1)

Upstream:
Power level: 44 dBmV (from 50dBmV)
chong673

chong673

After doing a cold boot my modem, I got 3 channel Upstream now. Bonding right? I didnt know this.

I been getting 4 channel downstream bonding.
chong673

chong673

I use my dish 2 way splitter rated at 950-2150 Mhz and I cannot see any of the TV channels on my computer and my HDTV.

What is a good 2 way freq splitter to get for Comcast?

I notice 2 way splitter to my modem, the stat stay the same as doing it directly to the modem.

Shall I go ahead and do the TWO way splitter like you all recommend? Get it from Amazon?

I will get RG6 cable too. I wish they sell it at 6 inch long.

I dont need the amplifier with the active return thing right? Not necessary?

Thanks for all your advice.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP

Premium Member

If you use the two 2-way splitters you are introducing an extra component that may/may not have an impact-the jumper to interconnect them.

You could just use the 3-way splitter and eliminate the jumper all together as you mentioned. An unbalanced 3-way will have one port w/3.5db loss and two with 7db loss. Same as using the two 2-ways.

Hook the modem to the 3.5db port and the TV/PC tuner to the 7db ports.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to chong673

MVM

to chong673
said by chong673:

I use my dish 2 way splitter rated at 950-2150 Mhz and I cannot see any of the TV channels on my computer and my HDTV.

That is because the Comcast cable signals are all below 950 MHz. That splitter is designed for the L-band signals that are output from satellite dish LNBs.
said by chong673:

What is a good 2 way freq splitter to get for Comcast?
:
Shall I go ahead and do the TWO way splitter like you all recommend? Get it from Amazon?

As THZNDUP See Profile has suggested, you can probably just use one unbalanced 3-way splitter like the Antronix CMC2003H: »www.amazon.com/ANTRONIX- ··· 01E4T3YK
said by chong673:

I will get RG6 cable too. I wish they sell it at 6 inch long.

Actually, RadioShack sells an RG-6 cable in a 1 foot length: »www.radioshack.com/produ ··· 11051589
said by chong673:

I dont need the amplifier with the active return thing right? Not necessary?

From the modem signal levels and SNR that you reported without any splitters, you should be fine without using an amp.
said by chong673:

Thanks for all your advice.