Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4

2 edits

Motorola VIP2100 Coming To UVerse? Status of VIP2200?

Over on the Motorola site I came across a file called "VIP2100 AT&T Installation Guide" and a VIP2100 Spec Sheet that showed the VIP2100 with an AT&T Uverse logo slapped on the upper left hand corner.

Is the VIP2100 coming to AT&T Uverse? If so, that would be a huge step up from the VIP1200's that are currently deployed in Motorola areas. The 2100 has nearly 3x the processing power of the 1200, and supports 1080P.

Also, what is the status of the VIP2200 STB? I asked to have my VIP1200s swapped out for VIP2200s but was told the VIP2200s were yanked in my area due to severe hardware issues. Anyone know what the story is behind this?

Paralel

Michigan, US

Really? No one has any info?

kirkband

@comcast.net

The VIP 2100 receiver and 2200 DVR have been around since late 2010. They are deployed in "motorola" areas. So if you have cisco equipment, you won't get the motorola equipment. Most VIP 2200 series are brand new so it really depends if your tech is carrying it in his/her truck. Most of the time techs are given and told to install the refurb units first then the new ones.

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to Paralel

What you said doesn't make sense. The VIP2100 hardware was only offered by Motorola starting in Dec. of 2011.

Did you mean the 2200 STB receiver and the 2250 DVR?

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to Paralel

The 1200 is a workhorse, just like the first gen Cisco wired receiver. They rarely fail. I gather, unlike the dvrs that have problematic hard disks, most of the time they are deemed broken and swapped there is never anything wrong with them in the first place. When they do actually fail, they are cheap and easy to refurbish and stick back in circulation.
Extra processing power on those units is useless, and Uverse won't be supporting 1080p anytime soon. The Cisco wireless receiver trumped the need for ATT to invest in the refreshes of the non-dvr wired receivers, so the 2100 and 2200 are rare and I would guess you'll never see them outside the few that made it into circulation some time ago.

Paralel

Michigan, US

said by Forosnai:

The 1200 is a workhorse, just like the first gen Cisco wired receiver. They rarely fail. I gather, unlike the dvrs that have problematic hard disks, most of the time they are deemed broken and swapped there is never anything wrong with them in the first place. When they do actually fail, they are cheap and easy to refurbish and stick back in circulation.
Extra processing power on those units is useless, and Uverse won't be supporting 1080p anytime soon. The Cisco wireless receiver trumped the need for ATT to invest in the refreshes of the non-dvr wired receivers, so the 2100 and 2200 are rare and I would guess you'll never see them outside the few that made it into circulation some time ago.

That pretty much confirms what I suspected. Guess I'm stuck with my 1200's then since the wireless Cisco's don't support HPNA coax. Although our ecosystem seems far more stable with the 2250 at the helm compared to our old 1216. No more stuttering, pausing, etc... on the 1200's during recorded program playback.

SomeJoe7777

join:2010-03-30
Houston, TX
kudos:7
reply to Forosnai

Furthermore, all of the Broadcom-equipped STB units (2100, 2200, 2250, 7005, and 7500) have HDMI and component video anomalies that the Sigma Designs units don't have.

There are several reports of incorrect gamma, chroma problems due to incorrect YCbCr->RGB conversion, and contrast issues on the Broadcom units.

Paralel

Michigan, US

said by SomeJoe7777:

Furthermore, all of the Broadcom-equipped STB units (2100, 2200, 2250, 7005, and 7500) have HDMI and component video anomalies that the Sigma Designs units don't have.

There are several reports of incorrect gamma, chroma problems due to incorrect YCbCr->RGB conversion, and contrast issues on the Broadcom units.

Thank you for this info, Joe. I will keep an eye out for this with my 2250. I haven't checked the calibrations yet on that set after swapping out the box. Guess I'll have to do that this weekend to make sure all the levels are where they belong.