Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

XPiRX

join:2005-10-06
Rochester, NY
reply to XPiRX

Re: [TWC] [Rochester, NY] Slow night-time speeds + Modem Questio

Super bad tonight, webpages are even sluggish.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
Here in Brighton/12 Corners area I notice almost no difference between speeds in the daytime and evening. It is pretty lock on 30/5Mbps for me, as long as I use the Syracuse speed test site. The TWC test for Rochester actually reports slower speed results for me, and Speedtest.net speed tests are extremely variable depending on the speedtest test server I select.

Things are not so rosy at a relative's place in Spencerport, where her service maxes out at around 3.5/1Mbps. Interestingly, the download is the service suffering major speed degradation -- upstream speeds are solid.

In my experience this is one of two things:

1) Oversaturated node.
2) A technical fault, sometimes with TWC's equipment, other times with the physical infrastructure nearby.

Early evening slowdowns seem most likely to be oversaturation, especially if they are consistent when they start and end. Technical faults are usually causing issues all the time or during certain weather events.

I also expect oversaturation when a call to technical support only brings out vague explanations surrounding the fact they see nothing wrong with your cable modem connection. They don't seem willing to admit when they have oversold their network in a particular area and are reluctant to schedule a service call. If they do, usually there is no speed problem when the tech arrives during business hours. They may even replace the drop, work on the pole, or replace fittings, but the problems immediately return once evening arrives.

One would think D3 service might correct some of this.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

XPiRX

Rochester, NY
That has been my thoughts all along Dampier. Ive done the whole Tech will come out, everything looks fine, lets replace your connectors and modem, everything looks okay. I cant do anything more. This same scenario happened when I was at my old apartment. I had turbo then (15/1) and I could max it anytime, then a new neighbor moved in upstairs, not a week later, I coudn't maintain a stable connection more than 5-6mbit, usually during evening hours as well. Techs only came out during the day, when It wasnt being affected. They obviously hooked both apartments to one connection or to an already oversaturated connection. I was glad to leave those apartments because of that, but now its happening again and its very annoying when trying to play a game at that time. Wonder if I would get priority if I bought 30/5, since i never hear about people with 30/5 connections having saturation issues.

Edit: They know damn well when they oversell/oversaturate a market area, but wont admit to it until everyone is complaining or slowdowns are more than just during evenings.

icon860

join:2012-12-17

1 edit
reply to XPiRX
I notice the slowness (I call it the big slow down) during the daytime and I am a business customer. My slowness happens at random intervals throughout the day. Like right now, my 10/1 is performing about the same as any of my T1's. I couldn't begin to imagine how any streaming media (video, voice, etc) could even function properly on this network.

I have an automated file transfer in the late evening, and on christams eve the large file transfer finished a full hour earlier than any other night since my records began.

Having a poor internet connection in Rochester is costing me more money than just a monthly internet bill. My only other option in the area is a Frontier 7m/768k line.

XPiRX

Rochester, NY

1 edit
reply to XPiRX
Wow.... its getting earlier now apparently. Not even 4pm and cant keep a stable connection over ~4-5mbps

*sigh*

I even get slower on the rochester RR site test

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
Must be a node or headend issue. It's not systemwide.

icon860

reply to XPiRX
I was having issues Friday afternoon as well. It was random and sporadic. It seemed great until about 1pm, then it got awful. A normal file transfer that takes about an hour, wasn't finished 4.5 hours into the transfer.

I could pull good test speeds from the Rochester server, but I didn't get the same results when I tested from the Albany or New England test sites. I did these tests multiple times, and got a hodge podge set of mixed results. Sometimes it was good from NE or Albany, but awful from Rochester. I noticed packet loss on the upload side from Rochester and my normal 3000ms of latency on the download side from the rdc-24-93-8-145.wny.northeast.rr.com.

I called tech support, who knew nothing about my ticket I submitted with the North American support team. So, they gave me an international support ticket number and told me that someone was going to call me within an hour, I still haven't heard back from them.

The outsourced support person from overseas told me that my issue must have been with my own equipment.

It's pretty obvious that it is not.

XPiRX

Rochester, NY
reply to XPiRX
Its obvious there is an issue in certian areas, especially during peak hours (sometimes even during the day). hobgoblin said he was going to look into it, but i haven't heard back from him since around Christmas. Its really frustrating when Im trying to stream a video and Its nothing but buffering. I have to pause it for quite a while to let it load just so I can watch maybe 5-10 minutes before I have to buffer again.

icon860

I have seen an performance increase over time. Yesterday was really good for bandwidth almost throughout the day. I haven't seen any speeds at the low end of 400kbps for a week or two now.

I have friends who will only watch movies and shows over the internet and don't have television service. Service issues like the one we have had wouldn't have been good for them.

hotshot187

join:2008-04-07
Webster, NY
kudos:1
Matt,

Where in Rochester do you live? Which modem do you have?