Search similar:

uniqs

BryceS
join:2007-09-17
Stouffville, ON

BryceS

[Ottawa] Finding Place To Live

Hello all,

I am graduating university with my BA in April 2013 and have secured a position at the Bank of Canada! I am now looking for a place to rent. Kijiji is coming up pretty lame-o

I cannot believe how affordable Ottawa is and, normally, would be looking at purchasing a condo to live in around Centretown/Golden Triangle/Sandy Hill. There is one caveat, after 12 to 16 months on the job I need to leave Ottawa to obtain my Masters in Economics and do not want to face the risk of maintaining a mortgage payment if I cannot rent it out.

My cousin gave me some of the property management company's websites to browse. I might come up on reading week in February to check some places out.

For rent, I'd like it to be $900 +- $100

(I realize a mortgage would have been about $1000/mo + Property Taxes + Utilities + Strata Fees -- but OK paying that as an owner but not same cash outlay for renting)

Preferably walking distance to 234 Wellington Street (within a 25 minute walk) or maximum 25 minute bus ride.

Any tips from people who live in the NCR?

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3

How affordable Ottawa is? Comparing it to Woodstock? I Think you in for a wake up call on the amount of rent you want to spend. My son lives there and it is not a cheap place to live. Sorry can't help you otherwise
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to BryceS

to BryceS
»www.viewit.ca

BryceS
Stouffville, ON

BryceS to joeblow3

to joeblow3
said by joeblow3:

How affordable Ottawa is? Comparing it to Woodstock? I Think you in for a wake up call on the amount of rent you want to spend. My son lives there and it is not a cheap place to live. Sorry can't help you otherwise

The fact I can leave university and purchase a place two weeks later means that it is definitely affordable.

I am comparing it to my experience renting places out near/on Bay Street.

What my friends need to pay $500K for I can get for $280K in Ottawa.
Expand your moderator at work
BryceS

BryceS

Re: [Ottawa] Finding Place To Live

I'll be entering position that is incredibly average in pay.
(Perks such as tuition assistance, pension, work experience, travel etc. far out weigh salary drop).

Due to that and the fact I can purchase something right away is my argument that the city is affordable to live in. I will be graduating with student debt, I didn't have my parents pay for my school etc. I'm a pretty normal 22 year old finance wise.

I didn't mean any disrespect by my previous post.

eg)
»mls.ca/propertyDetails.a ··· 63399842

$1071.99 Mortgage
$0278.71 Strata Fees
$0237.50 Property Taxes
-----------
$1588.20

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug

Anon

Get a car.
Rent a house for 700$
Drive to work.

Since there are a couple of uni's right there, you can easily find a student to split the costs and put even more money away.

BryceS
Stouffville, ON

BryceS

said by shrug :

Get a car.
Rent a house for 700$
Drive to work.

Since there are a couple of uni's right there, you can easily find a student to split the costs and put even more money away.

Selling my car before moving to Ottawa. I don't want to have to pay for parking and deal with traffic when I can walk to work.

Looking to live downtown on the Ottawa side.

Looking to live alone.

Found a few places worth noting on viewit.ca
Thanks for the link.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Don't forget a location nearest your favourite store.
»www.thebeerstore.ca/loca ··· 75000004

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to shrug

to shrug
said by shrug :

Get a car.
Rent a house for 700$
Drive to work.

Rent a house for $700? Not around here.

stayontransi
@bell.ca

stayontransi to BryceS

Anon

to BryceS
as long as you stay near the transitway you ll get downtown very quickly and easily......dont be put off by moving out of the core and worrying about walking to work. your work is on the transitway just make sure your residence is. i live in sandyhill its expensive. id try lincoln fields area or bayshore to the west.
Bob Anderson
join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON

Bob Anderson to BryceS

to BryceS
The golden triangle is by far the better area compared to centretown and sandy hill. Rent will run you $1100- $1250 for a one- bedroom in a typical 1920's era three-story house. Elgin street which defines the western edge of the triangle is the restaurant and bar area and is very lively and a great place to drink and eat with friends. The canal which defines the eastern edge of the triangle is perfect for jogging, walking and skating. You could easily walk to work anywhere from the triangle to the BoC in less than 25 minutes or take the bus up north on Elgin and then walk west on Wellington a couple blocks. Another good area south of the triangle is the glebe but you would have to take the bus and it wouldn't be any cheaper. Good idea to live alone; sharing rent with someone other than a significant other can leave you holding the rent bag when they walk out without notice. It happens!

I have lived in the triangle for 26 years and I love it: no drug addicts or hookers because it is too expensive, lots of stores, restaurants and bars. I have a car because I am a car nut, but you definitely don't need one.

-Bob

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to stayontransi

to stayontransi
said by stayontransi :

as long as you stay near the transitway you ll get downtown very quickly and easily......dont be put off by moving out of the core and worrying about walking to work. your work is on the transitway just make sure your residence is. i live in sandyhill its expensive. id try lincoln fields area or bayshore to the west.

Too many old people in Lincoln Fields area and Bayshore is very undesirable.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Even Bayshore isn't cheap, but they're doing major improvements to the buildings there. My sister & her family lives in Bayshore.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to BryceS

to BryceS
Try Craigs list.
Look for vacancies and sublets in the Sandy Hill area as this semester winds down.
There is a nice building in this area called the Bachelor, (280 Laurier E) I think they had units at $730 + hydro.
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON

Baselne/woodroffe area is pretty good with a main drawn being a nice 24/7 grocery store plus all the essentials (Home Depot for a hardware store, Shoppers Drugmart, both a Beer and Liquor store). All are within walking distance of transit and if your 21 or over there are two Vrtucar stations which is a car share (»vrtucar.com/index.php) and can be nice for shopping trips to Costco or other places as needed.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj to BryceS

to BryceS
Chinatown! Rents are reasonable and you are close to Wellington.

As a young and presumably car-less man I'd advise you to stay close to downtown. Live no further west than Westborough (kinda pricey), and no further east than the Byward market or New Edinburgh. To the south you have the Glebe and old Ottawa south, which has many great rentals for young professionals.

Make a trip to Ottawa in February during reading week. Many rentals get listed towards the end of the university year, the listings that are free right now for April availability are probably vacant for a reason. Also the canal will be open for winterlude. Any neighbourhood along the canal from downtown to Carleton university is great, and you can skate to work once in a while

Congrats on the job!
Bob Anderson
join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON

Bob Anderson to BryceS

to BryceS
I didn't mention it in my previous post but I must say if you secured a position with the BoC for next April at the age of 22 you are doing bloody good!

Also I would strongly suggest you put off buying a condo or house until you are well settled on a career path, about your late twenties or early thirties. Since you don't need a car you should save an amount equal to about a months car payment (say $300-$600 a month) so by the time you reach 30 you will have enough for a substantial down payment.

-Bob

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to BryceS

Premium Member

to BryceS
Probably not the same guy (could be), but 20-some odd years ago when doing work terms in Ottawa I dealt with Wekup Management (maybe not the same exact name, but I figure Wekup isn't a popular name).

»ottawa.opendi.ca/R/467.html

A whole list of property management companies here. I did a quick search on mls.ca but they seem to start at $750 a month. Ottawa many years ago had a great transit system (I'm assuming it's the same). Even far out of the city proper (we lived in a rented condo that was Ottawa, but you crossed into Nepean to take the bus in the morning) it was a very fast commute in the morning with an express bus.

One of my work terms I lived downtown and it was great, however, shopping was limited (think high end pricey or low end, no choice). Used to walk to a Loblaws (at least a few km) and cab it home every couple of weeks. Of course, that was a while ago, might be better.

BryceS
Stouffville, ON

BryceS to Bob Anderson

to Bob Anderson
said by Bob Anderson:

I didn't mention it in my previous post but I must say if you secured a position with the BoC for next April at the age of 22 you are doing bloody good!

It is still surreal with the offer. I've had to nearly stop drinking to get my grades high enough. Sad, sad day.

The hardest interview of my life with programming exercises etc.

I'm graduating with enough assets to have a strong down payment on a 300K condo but an equal amount of debt, so net worth of zero.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

Well, you could always use this opportunity to indeed buy something and sell a year later if you put blood sweat and tears into it. You don't *have* to sell, but could even rent it out. Be it directed to business people or students.

Prices aren't going to come down in the nations capitol, and they aren't that out of control like in Toronto. Well the taxes are out of control in the nations capitol compared to outside the capitol. That much is true.

*IF* you aren't blowing hot air, you may indeed want to look into this.

Since you are with a bank, you should be able to get some inside info on foreclosures, for the area you're in. In Quebec, before it changed, this was the thing to do.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Just think about how much he'll saving buying his 20 cases a week in Gatineau!
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by corster:

said by peterboro:

I believe he only drinks 5 cases a week and if he is going to live on his own 20 may not be necessary anymore. Well for now anyways.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to BryceS

Premium Member

to BryceS
I lived in Ottawa from 1993 to 2001.... other than the one year I lived in Sandy Hill, I've always lived in the Centretown/Chinatown area.

All the good bars are there, some good live music, and you're close enough to get down to by-ward Market and Hull Gatineau if you need to.

BryceS
Stouffville, ON

BryceS to hm

to hm
said by hm :

Well, you could always use this opportunity to indeed buy something and sell a year later if you put blood sweat and tears into it. You don't *have* to sell, but could even rent it out. Be it directed to business people or students.

Prices aren't going to come down in the nations capitol, and they aren't that out of control like in Toronto. Well the taxes are out of control in the nations capitol compared to outside the capitol. That much is true.

*IF* you aren't blowing hot air, you may indeed want to look into this.

Since you are with a bank, you should be able to get some inside info on foreclosures, for the area you're in. In Quebec, before it changed, this was the thing to do.

The problem with buying/selling is the realtor, legal, and closing costs can chew out any possible capital gain on the real estate. To believe that an asset can only go up in value is not within my mindset.

I'm not with a commercial or investment bank and my department doesn't deal with local issues, so I doubt I'd have access to look up data easily.
BryceS

BryceS to corster

to corster
said by corster:

said by peterboro:

Sadly, in my final year of schooling my drinking has taken a cliff dive. It is much harder to maintain a 3.90GPA drinking that much while trying to secure full time employment and writing a thesis.

Did have a great last weekend at a friend's cottage on Three Mile Lake where everyone there pounded back a case each day for Friday and Saturday.

Le Weekend
@videotron.ca

Le Weekend

Anon

You can buy your beer at Costco in gatineau. DirtyJeffer could likey you give you the directions since he knows the locations of all the costco's.

Think it's like 30$ for a case of 36 there. or 45 for a case of 60

Let me know when you knock back a case of 60 each on a Fri & Sat. I'm not too far, I can drive you to the hospital since you don't have a car. Only 50$, the ambulance is about 75$. So you can save some money for another case.

BryceS
Stouffville, ON

BryceS

said by Le Weekend :

You can buy your beer at Costco in gatineau. DirtyJeffer could likey you give you the directions since he knows the locations of all the costco's.

Think it's like 30$ for a case of 36 there. or 45 for a case of 60

Let me know when you knock back a case of 60 each on a Fri & Sat. I'm not too far, I can drive you to the hospital since you don't have a car. Only 50$, the ambulance is about 75$. So you can save some money for another case.

A case infers 24 bottles. >_>

nearthebridg
@bell.ca

nearthebridg

Anon

oh so uneducated one.....that little trip acrosss the bridge is gonna open your eyes more so than anything you ll ever learn in school...say hello to the 55 can stack of beers !

Mr_Derp
join:2004-11-10
Plainfield, ON

Mr_Derp to BryceS

to BryceS
»www.padmapper.com/search ··· /Ottawa/

Padmapper is an nice tool. It uses Google maps and scrapes popular sites to populate its results.

That being said, my current place came from kijiji.