spc
Search similar:

uniqs
grosler
join:2007-06-11
Phoenix, AZ

grosler

[AZ] Other options for HSI in Phoenix?

Does anyone have any suggestions on less costly options rather than Cox for internet in Phoenix?

Cox pricing has been going up over the last few years and the quality of service has been going down.

Greg
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

www.whitefence.com

but the DSL offerings are crap..

-Rob
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to grosler

to grosler
said by grosler:

Does anyone have any suggestions on less costly options rather than Cox for internet in Phoenix?

Cox pricing has been going up over the last few years and the quality of service has been going down.

Greg

No.

After one call to centurylink, you'll LOL and then hang up, unless you live REALLY close to a DSLAM.
Guzzler
join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ

Guzzler to grosler

to grosler
I hate to say it, but Cox is the "Best bang for your buck" in the Phoenix metro area.

Besides Century Link, about the only other thing I can think of is tethering off a cellular service. At work (small service business) we have Century Link, and I have found my cell phone data connection is faster.
jsmiddleton4
join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ

jsmiddleton4 to grosler

to grosler
No real options for most of the valley. Looks like the fiber thing going in starting on the east side. That's going to take some time to spread to the point of saturation like Cox cable lines.

Was some rumbling about adding HSI to DISH but seems to be focused more on rural areas like Pine Wood, Payson area, etc. But it isn't up to the speed of cable hsi.

I've said for some time Cox is near the classification of being a "utility" but is getting away with not being framed as one.

4G MIGHT pan out but right now it is expensive and is not stable.

But 4G modems might offer some competition. MIGHT.
Rakeesh
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

said by jsmiddleton4:

No real options for most of the valley. Looks like the fiber thing going in starting on the east side. That's going to take some time to spread to the point of saturation like Cox cable lines.

What fiber thing? I'm in the east valley, haven't heard of that though.

I've heard of the fiber deployment in some gated community with million dollar homes in it in scottsdale, but that isn't going anywhere else.
said by jsmiddleton4:

But 4G modems might offer some competition. MIGHT.

I doubt it, there isn't really enough spectrum available for dedicated broadband use.

Then again, cox's service is so bad that they brag about a j.d. power and associates award they got almost 8 years ago.
jsmiddleton4
join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ

jsmiddleton4

"What fiber thing? I'm in the east valley"

The business install tech was telling me it is rolling out east side towards west.

He also did my phones, the phones are through Century Link even though HSI via Cox, and we were talking about how lousy land lines are in this area as they've been underground for decades.....

He said no one if fixing land lines because fiber optics coming and they are already starting East Valley.

Doesn't mean he's right.

But that is what he shared.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Rakeesh

Premium Member

to Rakeesh
said by Rakeesh:

said by grosler:

Greg

No.

After one call to centurylink, you'll LOL and then hang up,

don't you mean centurystink?

a month with their service you'll understand what im getting at.

Anon33
@cox.net

Anon33 to grosler

Anon

to grosler
Have you looked into going with a slightly lower tier of speed?

If I recall, you can go as low as a $20 / month bill for internet with Cox - it all depends on how you're using it.
Rakeesh
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to dvd536

to dvd536
Dude I went to build a network for my friend's business, and his only option for internet was clink. He runs his business late in the day (usually til 10 or so.)

I went to install a hardware firewall, and I needed to get the PPPoE username and password so that I could override the NAT in their gateway and pass that function to the firewall.

Well it turns out, that after 5:00 (which is the only time that I could help him out) clink's business division closes. No support whatsoever. WTF really? They charge more for it and provide less services? I asked the girl on the other end: so what happens if there's an outage, and they're stuck without service? They're screwed? She said yes. I just said wow...

Iceman0803
join:2012-05-18
Glendale, AZ

Iceman0803 to grosler

to grosler
I used CL for a week or so. I was on their 40/5 package and the bandwidth was great (consistently 38-39 Mb down and 4-4.5 up and I happen to be ~2 blocks away from the DSLAM). However, latency was the issue for me. I'm a gamer and some servers I connected to were in the mid to high 100s (average) for latency. Whereas with cox I would get high 40s low 50s to the same servers. That's what brought me back "home" lol.
Rakeesh
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

I think the high latency is avoidable if you tone down the interleaving (dsl technique to deliver reliably at layer 2 without jitter) the question is whether you can avoid packet loss when doing so. Just something you have to deal with when transferring high speed data over voice grade lines.