Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sunny8294
Shqipe

join:2001-03-15
Localhost ;)

[OOL] Slowdown in the Bronx for last 4 hours

Is it just me or anyone having issues with OOL in 10461 in the Bronx? Looks like my speedtest (tried multiple speedtest sites) can't even start the upload test after finishing the download test. Ultra download looks be in 40 - 50 mbps but no upload. Did usual power-cycle of the modem and router but no luck. Webpage load seems to very sluggish.
--
.:: Sunny ::.

wiretrip

join:2002-10-18
Bronx, NY
It's not just you. I too have the same upstream issue (just tested) in the Bronx. This "known" issue occurs 2-3 times a year (perhaps more) in the Bronx (at least in my area - 10461). Unfortunately the OOL techs can never permanently resolve it. I go through the same song and dance with them every time I call them.
---
me: How come I have little to no upstream bandwidth? AGAIN!
tech: I don't see a problem in your area. Would you like me to get a service tech out to your residence?
me: Here we go again. Sure why not. I have plenty of time to waste.
---
The next day before the tech comes out my OOL connection miraculously begins working. I then get a call from OOL informing that they have addressed an issue in my area. Then they ask if I continue to have connection issues. Of course at this point I have no connection issue.
A few months later the same connection issue occurs again and we start the whole song and dance over again.
I gave up calling them. I now connect to my 4G LTE hotspot device my work provides me whenever I can't connect with OOL.

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
Thanks for the reply man! You are so right about this "known" issue occurring few times a year without any fix. I don't even bother to call them at this point because it is out of their hand. Wonder if OOL hotspot faces the same issue when we have this issue. But then OOL wifi hotspot is really spotty in my block!! on Frisby between Overing and St. Peters.
--

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1
reply to wiretrip
This is not unusual, and nothing bad:

What you're describing is almost certainly an RF impairment issue that set off flags at a higher level - yes, it's completely normal to take customer calls and schedule service calls for this BEFORE it can be resolved, and there's almost certainly a system watching and alerting that a node suddenly has 20 scheduled service calls against it - you roll out OSP, find whatever the issue is (at least for the Bronx, that's often the appearance of a new, illegal tap from someone stealing service and bleeding signal back into the plant because the illegal drop was done so poorly), and make it stop.

At that point, someone in the call center will almost certainly round up all the pending service calls, and call back anyone who had one pending, because the issue is resolved, rather than rolling 20 trucks where no issues are found.

So yes, DO call if your quality of service suddenly and unexpectedly changes: call count = attention triggers.

wiretrip

Bronx, NY
How many calls will it take before it triggers attention? I called OOL Saturday night to see if they wanted to "sing and dance" with me again. Sure enough they did. Arranged for a service tech to come out on Monday (today). But then the "miracle" occurred once again on Sunday and I then get a call from OOL asking if I still have a connection issue. Once again I no longer have a connection issue and had them cancelled the tech appointment. Guess what? The "known" (little to no upstream bandwidth) connection issue is back again today. Yeah!

Happily surfing on my AT&T 4G LTE Hotspot device.

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
It is back again!! Gahhhhh..Super annoying!! It was good/fixed? yesterday but its back again today..My VOIP suffers the most from this issue. I wish I had an alternative.
--

wiretrip

Bronx, NY

1 edit
I called OOL again tonight because I am starting to enjoy being an a$$hole about paying for a service I am not getting.
Anyway it appears that there is an issue in the area (they finally fessed up to it). However they still wanted to send a tech out to my place. I guess they enjoy my "song and dance" with them. (I know I know OK I'll stop). I did have them send out a field tech as well since they have identified an issue in my area. I guess eventually enough people did call to trigger a response (thanks cablewizzard). But I have sinking feeling that whatever they resolve will not be permanent. Until we chat again. Goodnight.

BTW

My AT&T 4G LTE speed test result:

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
Are you still having trouble? Looks like I am still having trouble
--

wiretrip

Bronx, NY
Yes. The upstream issue remains. I don't think the field tech took a look at it yet. It looks like this issue will take a while to resolve.

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
I guess we are on the same node.
--

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
reply to sunny8294
You have FIOS in that area?

wiretrip

Bronx, NY
I have confirmed that FiOS is in the area but not in my building. Availability in my building is up to my building management company and owner. They will have to strike some deal with Verizon.

wiretrip

Bronx, NY
reply to sunny8294
It seems to be up for now. I no longer have the upstream issue. Let's see how long this "miracle" will last. The tech visit was rescheduled for tomorrow. How about you?

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
I don't call the techs. They can't help cause they have no idea as to whats going on. Things are ok for now but like you said, I am just keeping my fingers crossed. So strange that FIOS is available on Tratman but not on Frisby Avenue. Sucks
--

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
The call center reps have very limited tools to triage an area outage affecting speeds. A number of calls in an area will help trends be seen and issues outside of your home be resolved.

You can set the appointment dates a number of days out if they want to schedule one, so they see the appointment but you don't need to actually wait around for a tech.

sunny8294
Shqipe

Localhost ;)
I don't blame the call center reps, its their engineers who has to be more aware of these problems that keep happening over and over again. Its great when it works but really sucks when there's trouble.
--