spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rkrider

@verizon.net

Verizon sent me a router

The UPS guy stops by yesterday and drops off a package from Verizon. It's an Actiontech router. The letter in the box says "Since my current router is no longer compatible with FIOS's enhanced network, they strongly encourage me to replace my existing router as soon as possible. If I don't change it, I will lose widgets, VOD, Pay per view, and Search Media Manager, until I swap it out.

Ok, I admit that I tossed out the old Verizon router a long time ago and replaced it with a Linksys, running ww-drt. But, I've never had issues with whatever I needed to do. Always had access to VOD and widgets, never used PPV. What are they trying to tell me? Are they going to make some changes that in fact, will render my router incompatible? Or are they saying that they can't see into my network like they would like to, and I need to put in their router to make it easier for them.

The upside is getting rid of the MOCA box, but I think I'll wait a while before changing anything out.

Tom

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
Your records indicate you are PPPoE, so they are sending newer BHR's that can support WAN auto-configuration. The older D-Link routers couldn't support WAN auto-configuration....

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
I take it they're finally retiring PPPoE from the older bits of the FiOS Network?

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA
Since we were one of the first FiOS installs in the area in around....2006 I think, I bet we're still on PPPoE. Hehe I remember those D-Links, was pretty reliable until it totally died.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
I'm sure a lot of people miss them too. Minus one or two off units they were pretty rock solid. Never really heard of many complaints about them. There are still a few of those out there running that people continue to this day to use on FiOS.

Now if only the software on the ActionTecs could be made as solid. The ActionTecs have come a long way in hardware since the days of Ethernet switch failures and WPA2 grinding the units to a halt

jjam

@bellatlantic.com
gatway routers are being upgraded which do not support pppoe so the old router need to be replaced.