spc
uniqs
jlewsader
join:2012-11-30
Covington, IN

jlewsader to snip

to snip

Re: Slow internet U-verse 12mbit

VDSL or IP-DSL? Do u have POTS phone or anything? What modem/RG?

snip
@sbcglobal.net

snip

Anon

How do I check what kind of U-verse I have?

The test was done using wi-fi on a desktop PC running Windows 8. I don't think it's the wireless fault, because previously I was getting almost 12 mbit D and more than 1 mbit U.

The gateway is a 2wire 3801HGV.

I use a regular phone, no VOIP
jlewsader
Covington, IN

jlewsader

3801 is VDSL UVERSE. Do u have TV also? If no, Was this a full tech install or customer self install?

snip
@uta.edu

snip

Anon

No tv.
Full install and a technician already came once and replace some cabling because I was getting sub par upload
jlewsader
Covington, IN

jlewsader

Hmm that was going to be my suggestion. Direct cat5 cable to the 3801 location, right? Would u mind PMing me your account number & I can run some tests?

Jlw
@sbcglobal.net

Jlw

Anon

I have 18 mg service and am getting 6-8 at best! Can you help me? Thank you!
jlewsader
Covington, IN

jlewsader

said by Jlw :

Same questions to you… modem model, Other services, way it was wired?
FuzzButt
join:2006-01-02
Waterford, MI

FuzzButt

Mine has been very slow upload and varied download for a while. Not getting better. Used to be stellar. Upgraded to 18mbit and it's not really any improvement that I can see with the uploads I'm getting in the sub 140k/s rate right now.
SniperREX
join:2006-05-27
Arlington, TX

SniperREX

This still snip, I'm now using my account here. I didn't remember my old password here previously.

Wow that's really bad upload.

I was playing some Black Ops 2 earlier on my 360 using a wired connection. The connection was ok, but not great. I was getting most of the time 3 bars, very few times 4 bars, and from time to time it plummeted to one bar. Very frustrating.
Before I "upgraded" to U-verse from DSL Elite my connection was rock solid 99% of the time...

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U

Premium Member

On a Windows (pre-8) machine, download & install the U-Verse Realtime program from uvrealtime.com, and post screenshots of the main, bitsloading, and error tables

Since you (probably) have VDSL2 Internet only, 1 suggestion I would have would be to set up a 3rd party router behind the 2Wire/Pace & put the 3rd party router in the 2Wire/Pace's DMZ+ mode (basically passes the public IP & routing to the 3rd party router -- almost bridge mode)

Another option with Internet only service would be to acquire either a 2Wire/Pace 3600 or a Motorola 2310 (assuming you have VDSL2 Internet)

The 3600 is a gateway similar to the 3801, but is an internet only or internet + voip only device, and you would also own the device, so no modem rental fee.

The 2310 is a modem only device which would almost certainly need a 3rd party router set up behind to share the connection (it also has the DMZ+/Public IP Passthrough option), and it is also a customer owned device, so no modem rental fee

If you have BPON FTTP U-Verse Internet, you would need to continue to use the 2Wire/Pace 3801 with the rental
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to FuzzButt

Premium Member

to FuzzButt
Which modem do you have FuzzButt?
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to Jlw

Premium Member

to Jlw
said by Jlw :

First, which modem do you have? And do you have other U-Verse services (IPTV and/or VoIP)?

Second, for customers on either Max 18 or Max 24, you may want to try a 3rd party router behind the modem -- in my experience, that seems to help in getting full speeds. Going from what I have encountered, the 2Wire/Pace modems can be iffy with speeds on any package over Max 12 -- don't know why, and it does not affect everyone
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to jlewsader

Premium Member

to jlewsader
said by jlewsader:

3801 is VDSL UVERSE

3801 is not always VDSL2 U-Verse

3801s can also be BPON U-Verse
jlewsader
Covington, IN

jlewsader

said by ILpt4U:

said by jlewsader:

3801 is VDSL UVERSE

3801 is not always VDSL2 U-Verse

3801s can also be BPON U-Verse

What are u referring to as BPON? That's a new one for me.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by jlewsader:

What are u referring to as BPON? That's a new one for me.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BPON

Broadband Passive Optical Network. At present this is the type of optical network that FTTP (Fiber to the Premise) customers are connected on.

They may be upgraded to GPON (Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network) sometime in the future, but that would require different CO equipment, and in many cases, new ONTs (Optical Network Terminal) at the customer premise as well

In most parts of the country, there are three prevailing "flavors" of U-Verse, with a fourth available in very few locations:
1) FTTN VDSL2 (single pair or bonded) U-Verse
2) IPDSLAM ADSL2+ (single pair now; bonded coming soon) U-Verse
3) FTTP BPON U-Verse
4) FTTC VDSL2 U-Verse (Fiber to the Curb -- supposedly in one small part of Richardson, TX, and also there are a few legacy BellSouth FTTC neighborhoods that were upgraded to U-Verse, but there are a ton more that need the upgrade still...)
jlewsader
Covington, IN

jlewsader

Ok I got ya now. I am aware of the different versions of UVERSE. Im a prem tech out of Illinios. I had just never heard the BPON term. Yeah, the 3800 & newer 3801 are both FTTN & FTTP gateways. I was just assuming he was an FTTN customer.
FuzzButt
join:2006-01-02
Waterford, MI

FuzzButt

I'm not sure what's going on but after a few tweaks and a reboot and on wireless and wired I'm back to 17x1.4 very odd. Might be the Asus network tweaking utility in the AI Center.

Weird. Well hopefully it will stay at the improved speeds. I'll install that app after I get .net 4 installed.
SniperREX
Arlington, TX

SniperREX to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
How do I put my D-Link 655 behind the Gateway? I tried by myself following instructions found online to no avail. I really wanted to use my old router, because it has QoS (very important for gaming now that we have so many devices using internet in my house) and wireless N.
AT&T technical support wanted to charge me $30 for helping me !!!

How do I get the 3600?

I think I still have the 2Wire modem that I was using for Elite DSL, but I don't remember what model was that. I'm gonna look for it now.
SniperREX

2 edits

SniperREX

I replaced the cable that was installed by the second technician with one I had lying around.

The DL and UL speed are a lot better now and the 100% loss in the first hop has gone to 0, but I don't want the interleaved connection.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 8071.png

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by SniperREX:

The DL and UL speed are a lot better now and the 100% loss in the first hop has gone to 0, but I don't want the interleaved connection.

All VDSL2 U-Verse is interleaved. Nature of the beast. The only way to get FastPath would be to see if ADSL2+ U-Verse is available (usually have to live closer to the CO), and even then the same speeds may not be available

To get a 2Wire/Pace 3600 or a Motorola 2310 from AT&T, you would need an AT&T technician visit (techs should be carrying at least the 3600, and some carry the 2310). For some reason, tech support will only send out a "like for like" modem, even when you do not need the IPTV-capable 3800/3801. Be advised the visit may incur charges for this

The unofficial way to get one is buy one on the 3rd party market, from sources like eBay/Craigslist. If you go that route, make sure the 3600 has firmware version 6.3.7.50-plus.tm, or if you find a Moto 2310, make sure it has firmware version 7.8.7r27

You do need to have the VDSL2 signal fed via phone line/twisted pair to be able to use the 3600 or 2310, as neither have coax ports. If your VDSL2 signal is fed via Coax, then rewiring would be required to get it to work

As far as using your own router, two possibilities:

Option A) Disable DHCP on your own router (which basically makes your router a "switch"); set your router's LAN IP to 192.168.1.252 (or something similar), connect an ethernet patch cord from one of the yellow LAN ports on the 2Wire/Pace to one of the LAN (NOT WAN) of your router. If you plan on using your router's WiFi, log into the management counsel of the 2Wire/Pace @ 192.168.1.254 & disable the 2Wire/Pace WiFi (you need the 10 digit system password from the modem label to do this)

Option B) Set the subnet of your own router to something OTHER than the 192.168.1.x subnet (example: 192.168.0.x or 192.168.2.x, etc). Connect an Ethernet patch cord from 1 LAN port of the 2Wire/Pace to the WAN (not a LAN) port of your router. Connect a device directly to the 2Wire/Pace and go to the management counsel @ 192.168.1.254 and place your router into the "DMZ+" mode under the LAN/Firewall section (you will need the 10 digit system password from the modem label). And again if you wish to use the WiFi of your own router, disable the WiFi of the 2Wire/Pace in the management counsel. Once this is done, power cycle your router, and as it reboots, it should grab your public IP, passed directly from the 2Wire/Pace

jlw
@sbcglobal.net

jlw to jlewsader

Anon

to jlewsader
modem: 2wire 3801hgv
uverse tv, internet, NO voip
wired originally DSL (one outlet through office (not sure if home run)
jlw

jlw to ILpt4U

Anon

to ILpt4U
-forgot to mention i have Mcell as well
-also RF remote in den, but far away from modem

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
SniperREX wants QoS: Suggests option-B.

I hear QoS features typically do not work in [most consumer] routers used as a switch (would appear to exclude option-A: bridge-mode).

Option-B is also available without DMZ+ mode, though you rarely hear about it, and a recent post implied DMZ+ indeed is needed for QoS to "fully work".
SniperREX
Arlington, TX

2 edits

SniperREX

I tried only option B, and it didn't work for me. I had a hard time finding my router in the settings of the DMZ.

Do I need to call to check if I can switch to ADSL2+? If yes is there a specific number to call?

BTW my line quality seems to have improved significantly. Using wi-fi I get now:

pingtest rate it A

»www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 8135.png

»i650.photobucket.com/alb ··· tled.png

»i650.photobucket.com/alb ··· led2.png

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 7829.png
jlewsader
Covington, IN

jlewsader

said by SniperREX:

Do I need to call to check if I can switch to ADSL2+? If yes is there a specific number to call?

Not sure you'd be able to switch from UVERSE VDSL2 to ADSL2+ since your within loop distance from a VRAD.

BTW my line quality seems to have improved significantly. Using wi-fi I get now:

pingtest rate it A

»www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 8135.png

»i650.photobucket.com/alb ··· tled.png

»i650.photobucket.com/alb ··· led2.png

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 7829.png

Those speeds look much better & average for 12Meg
SniperREX
Arlington, TX

SniperREX

I will try again to set-up the router behind the gateway using option B on Wed. I need to study for finals