share rss forum feed

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to pnjunction

Re: (Probably late) Amd 12.11 drivers bring performance increase

Just tried 12.8 drivers...started good with temps in game sitting in the 75-85 range...after a minute or two voltage went up to and stayed at 1.22 and temps were back to 100c...I pulled off the side of the case and touched the card casing. It didn't feel hot enough to the touch for it to be 100c, and it wasn't blowing super heated air from the fans...I'm confused now.

And since I've closed the game I'm back to .82v and 34c idle temp.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
What all programs where you using to monitor the temps of the gpu?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
I was just using CPUID Hardware Monitor and MSI Afterburner.

I am downloading GPU-Z now.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to me1212
Click for full size
Here's a SS of all three monitoring programs open...This was taken after about two minutes idle in Orgrimmar.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
85C isn't too bad actually, possibly a bit high for that low volts and only 1ghz on a 7000 series card, but not bad based on what I've read.

However, if I'm reading it right gpu-z says your vrm is 255C. That doesn't look right.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to me1212
Damn...that's cooking dude. My shit doesn't even break a sweat playing World of Warcraft.

I can see maybe in a 25man raid during heavy combat. You shouldn't be running that hot just sitting in Org.

Are AMD core voltages supposed to run that high? I thought 1.1v was high, you're showing 1.22v

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
I've seen amd cards run at 1.3 and get to the mid 80s. I keep min under 1.1 but still, I've seen a lot higher and about the same temp. the 255C on the vrm is what worries me.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
I don't even know what VRM is. That's probably a bad thing. I saw that number and was concerned as well...it didn't budge the entire time I had GPU-Z open, so I'm not sure what to think of it.

If anything was 255c in there I'd be able to physically feel it when I put my hand on the card, wouldn't I?

Oh, I almost forgot. I tried to turn down the voltage in MSI Afterburner, but every time I touched it, it crashed.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by McBrain:

Oh, I almost forgot. I tried to turn down the voltage in MSI Afterburner, but every time I touched it, it crashed.

You'll have to adjust your clock speed down before you adjust voltage.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to McBrain
A VRM is a voltage regulator modal. Its what feeds the voltage to your gpu, in this case.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
Being that the VRM is up at 255 I would say your having some sensors issues. That's pegged showing that a sensor is misreading. If you were really at 255 there would be smoke coming out of your computer. Lol. That's like 500 degrees F.

I run a 7950 at 1100 MHZ and 1.31v and my temp's dont get over 56c under gaming load, for a reference.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to McBrain
Check this out... Might be what's wrong with yours: »www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/commen···%C2%BAc/

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
My step-son is coming in town this weekend...this will give me an excellent opportunity to pull apart my rig and let him "help" me piddle around with it.

Looks like I'll be pulling off the heatsink and checking for debris as well as applying some new thermal paste.

We'll see where that leads me.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
They probably put way too much on as well--they always do, I guess to combat the TIM breaking down as it probably won't be touched for the life of the card in most cases.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Probably. As a matter of fact, the other day when I moved the card to the other slot on the mother board I noticed that I could see some paste that had oozed out of the side of the heatsink.

I just talked to the department head of my IT department, and he's got a bunch of Arctic Silver in his tool bag at home that I'm going to pick up this afternoon. I used all the paste I had when I was building my rig in September and replacing the CPU heatsink on my old system that I sold to someone. This all wouldn't be an issue if I didn't live in the sticks and had the luxury of having a local computer store. But anything I need dealing with my rig has to be ordered online, or picked up from the closest Best Buy (60 miles away)...and that's if they even carry what it is that I need.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Get Amazon Prime (free 2-day shipping) or use Newegg's free three-day shipping. My wife orders stuff we could pick up at Wal-mart all the time, but it's free shipping, and has no tax, so gg I guess.

Once you PCS, it's gonna be a whole lot harder to pick up what you need. I suggest you pre-stock before the move with a basic PC toolkit, some extra TIM, and extra power cables/sata cables/case fans/mobo screws/etc.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
They've got a computer hobby shop on Camp Foster (or they did when I was there before) where I got my G15 and some other odds and ends. Amazon's shipping to Okinawa is actually really fast, too. That company is amazing...there are so many distribution warehouses world-wide, you can get almost anything you order within 3 days.

But I agree, building a toolkit before I leave is definitely a good idea.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Krisnatharok
Hmm...I pulled the GPU out and reseated the heatsink after applying a new layer of thermal paste.

There weren't any QC stickers or other debris on the processor or heatsink, but there was an ungodly amount of paste there. I cleaned it off and replaced it with some Arctic Silver 5 that I actually picked up from Radio Shack.

When I put everything back together and turned on the rig to see if I got positive results, I got stuck at the Windows 7 splash screen. Windows wouldn't load past that...it basically froze at the splash screen forever...I restarted and loaded windows in safe mode. This is where I realized that there was no internet connection, even though the network cable was plugged into the motherboard directly from the modem which was working because my other devices (iPad, iPhone, Samsung SmartTV) were all receiving wifi from it.

I decided to do a clean install of Windows 7...once that was done, there was still no internet connection...I'm pretty sure my tinkering has gotten me to a place that's going to require someone more knowledgable than myself to straighten out.

I guess I know just enough to give myself a headache...which is exactly what's happened.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Do you have another Ethernet cable you can try using, or the driver cd that came with the mobo you could get the ethernet drivers off of?

Its possible your mobo could have a problem, hopefully not though.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
I figure that I will need to reload the driver cd that came with the mobo...I just didn't feel like screwing around with it yesterday. Just one of those days where PC frustration would have probably put me over the edge, so I left it alone after the Windows install finished up.

I'll grab the mobo disc today and load the drivers from it this afternoon and see where that takes me.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Did you wear a static wristlink and turn off and unplug the PSU before working on it?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
No static wristlink, but I definitely turn off and unplug the PSU before I start touching anything.

I ended up reinstalling drivers from the mother board disc as well as from AMD's site once I got the network card up and running.

Fresh install of WoW, ventrilo, mumble, curse client, and GPU-Z. A brief test while sitting idle in Orgrimmar last night ended up with stable voltage and 43c temps.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem was, but a complete system reset seems to have fixed it...I'm happy it did, but it was just a pain in the ass.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Krisnatharok
Full night of 25 man raiding last night...

Max temp of 54c.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
That looks good, hopefully its all better now.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
said by me1212:

hopefully its all better now.

Everything is running smoothly. I've used MSI Afterburner to OC the card slightly...Off the top of my head I want to say I've turned the core clock up to 1170MHz (from 1100), the memory clock up to 1260MHz (from 1200), and the max power turned up 7%. I ran a couple FurMark Benchmarks (1920x1080) and ended up getting a score in the 2590s with a max temp of 68c, higher than the 7970s they had on comparison chart...I'm not sure if that score is good/bad/whatever, but it seems decent in my opinion.

Also, I've not gotten any errors or issues since the reinstall.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Good to hear you got it working! Sometimes wiping everything and starting over is the way to go. Lol.