spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zaphoyd
join:2012-12-01
Chicago, IL

zaphoyd

[IPv6] Residential IPv6 rDNS

Does anyone know if Comcast has any rDNS plans or options for addresses on the /64 prefix being delegated to residential customers?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

They currently do not as far as I know. AUP's still apply with IPv6 and residential accounts.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

AUP?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Acceptable Use Policy

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to zaphoyd

to zaphoyd
How does this affect users of IPv6?
zaphoyd
join:2012-12-01
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

zaphoyd

In general it means that doing a reverse lookup of a residential IPv6 address doesn't return anything. This affects services that require valid reverse DNS for anti-spam/IP reputation purposes and affects systems that attempt reverse lookups in order to display a more friendly name rather than an IP address.

The AUP comments above are likely due to the primary reasons you would want rDNS, and that is to run servers, especially mail servers, which typically wont work at all without valid rDNS. In this case you probably want a business account, which as far as I know will in fact make rDNS entries for you.

In my case, for residential use, I am mostly interested in setting up dns to individually ID my home machines (now that IPv6 actually gives you more than one address). Because IPv6 addresses are so much longer and harder to remember this is almost exclusively done with DNS now.

So if I log into a website or SSH or something that says "your last login was from xxx" usually they will do an rDNS lookup and show you that instead of the IP. Game servers often use rDNS to list participants. At work it is nice to be able to catch traffic from my home machines in our stats/monitoring at a glance.

It is trivial to set up forward DNS (so you can type ssh foo.mynetwork.net) but reverse DNS has to be either performed or delegated by the ISP.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to zaphoyd

Premium Member

to zaphoyd
There is debate on rDNS for end-nodes in IPv6 land. It doesn't really make a lot of sense for non-servers - especially when you consider privacy addressing.

I think it's safe to say you won't see custom PTR records on Comcast residential service. It is up-in-air if you will see PTRs of any sort.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to zaphoyd

to zaphoyd
ok thanks for the explanation.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

There is debate on rDNS for end-nodes in IPv6 land. It doesn't really make a lot of sense for non-servers - especially when you consider privacy addressing.

I think it's safe to say you won't see custom PTR records on Comcast residential service. It is up-in-air if you will see PTRs of any sort.

Well said!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

I just want to make sure that all these changes are not going to make my native supported IPv6 router incompatible.