bbrcat
Help Fight Cancer
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3

Wireless Printing Safety ?

I have a SOHO network that is both wired and wireless via a
SBG900 modem/router(WEP enabled). I currently have 4 PC's on this network as well as an HP wired(only) printer(Officejet 4500). Short of buying another wired/wireless printer, can I access my present printer through this network when I utilize my tablet and/or smart phone...and if so, can this be done safely?

Thanks in advance for any help !
--
Team
Discovery

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

2 recommendations

Click for full size
Current home LAN/WLAN
said by bbrcat:

I have a SOHO network that is both wired and wireless via a
SBG900 modem/router(WEP enabled). I currently have 4 PC's on this network as well as an HP wired(only) printer(Officejet 4500). Short of buying another wired/wireless printer, can I access my present printer through this network when I utilize my tablet and/or smart phone...and if so, can this be done safely?

Thanks in advance for any help !

As long as you upgrade the wireless encryption to WPA2 or at a minimum WPA with a long key/passphrase then yes you can safely print over a wireless link. WEP is very insecure and easily hacked.

Personally I use WPA2-Personal (aka WPA2-PSK [AES]) with a 63-character random ASCII key to protect my home wireless network.

bbrcat
Help Fight Cancer
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3
reply to bbrcat

Hey,thanks. I have turned off the wireless until I can read up on proper security and what you have recommended...thanks again !
--
Team
Discovery