Retro rocketship

Retro rocketship

Click for full size
Flying car #2
Click for full size
Surfwagon
Click for full size
Surfwagon
Now that the Corvette is winterized and hibernating for the winter and hopefully to be woken in early spring... I've started my other passion and hobby, digital art...

Here's some 3D models I'm working on... All are WIP and have been modelled 100% by me using Groboto, Wings3D and Hexagon... They all need to be UV mapped, textured and rendered (I use Vue by e-onsoftware for rendering).. AND YES I own all of the commercial apps I use...

I grew up reading comic books and watching shows like the Outer Limits, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea in the late 1950's and 1960's...

Here's an attempt to rekindle my childhood memories...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Flying car
Well...I did get to texture my flyingcar and render it in Vue Complete ver 11 with an HRDI photo as a backplate...

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3

Nice !

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
Good use of time , me I'm hooked on Diablo .

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to vue666

to vue666
Now buy yourself a 3D printer, and make your own toys for Christmas.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

2 edits

loosedobbs to vue666

to vue666
Not bad Vu. pretty good actually.
And its a Hobby and not time waster.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to vue666

to vue666
Have you ever played with Blender, Vue?

FaxCap
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

1 edit

vue666 (banned)

Yup... I have Blender ver 2.64 installed and much prefer it's ui over earlier versions of Blender... It's a cool app with the capabilities of 3DMax, Lightwave or Cinema4D but without their heavy price...

Plenty of tutorials on the net like at Blendernation and other sites...

I also own 3DCoat and Curvy3D but seldom use them... If I could have afford one commercial app it would be ZBrush but it's too pricey for a hobbyist...
vue666

vue666 (banned) to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Now buy yourself a 3D printer, and make your own toys for Christmas.

3D printer... they cost quite a bit I believe...

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by vue666:

3D printer... they cost quite a bit I believe...

It's unfortunate that Staples and Mcor Technologies are getting together in Europe first. They plan to roll out 3D printing at Staples copy centers Q1 of 2013 (in Belgium and the Netherlands) but then roll out quickly to other countries. Don't know when it will be available in Canada.

»www.mcortechnologies.com ··· service/

Probably too expensive as it's aimed at businesses, but at least they're in Canada (west coast though). I've seen one at work (Mohawk College has one capable of small parts) - they're very cool.

»www.rapidprototypes.ca/

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

A Toronto firm named Panda Robotics is planning to introduce a consumer 3D printer for around the $1000 mark sometime soon.

Big writeups this month in all the financial rags...

»business.financialpost.c ··· -masses/

»www.techvibes.com/blog/c ··· 12-10-04

»www.canadianbusiness.com ··· creation

$800 is their target price. I'm scared to death to ask what a refill cartridge will sell for though

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to vue666

MVM

to vue666
mcor's stuff (what is being used at staples) is neat. It's a lamination type: it prints 3D objects out of paper. You load in reams of standard laser printer paper, and it cuts and glues layer by layer to build up the 3D object. There are other kinds, the cheapest are under $2k.

There's the extrusion kind, where they heat a plastic filament and squeeze it through a nozzle, depositing it layer by layer. These tend to be lower quality, but cheaper.

There's the stereolithography kind, these user a laser to harden layer by layer of liquid resin. Much higher resolution, but more expensive, although there was a kickstarter for one called the Form 1 that costs only slightly more than $2k.

Then there's the granular style, which work on a bed of powder and somehow fuse the grains together by heat/laser/glue/etc. These can be neat, because somebody made one that works on sugar to make candy They use hot air to melt sugar granules, but the resolution is pretty low, only about 20 DPI. I would think somebody could do a lot better using powdered sugar and a laser...

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Christie Digital in Kitchener is trying to take a lead here:

»www.guelphmercury.com/ne ··· -company

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to vue666

MVM

to vue666
Christie Digital is not a Canadian company, FYI. Headquarters are in California, owners are in Japan. They just have an R&D facility in Kitchener.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

I think those 3D printers prefer an autocad format DXF or STL... Most models I create are exported as OBJ (May format)... OBJ is the format that is more easier to share between various 3D modeling & rendering apps...

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to vue666

MVM

to vue666
I'm not sure why that matters... Converting from obj to stl for printing is simple.
vue666 (banned)

1 edit

vue666 (banned)

Yes...but sometimes the mesh gets really messed up... I think a lot depends if the original model is comprised of quads, tris or ngon polygons (or a combo of any of these types)...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

If anyone here has access to a 3D printer and would like to try printing out one of my models, I'll glady give you the model of your choice in OBJ (Maya) format...

Cheers
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Just a couple of quick renders of my UV mapped and textured model (use UV Mapper Classic for UV mapping and Photoshop Elements 10 for texturing)... Rendered in DAZ Studio...

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

looks like a retro 60's style rocket ship toy!
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to FaxCap

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

Have you ever played with Blender, Vue?

FaxCap

Have you?

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box

I did. Liked it, except there's no way of introducing exact coordinates. There are ways around this, but it sucks for precision work. For look good work is pretty neat and fast.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Yeah...it's not a CAD system like Autocad... Hexagon allows for the inputting of co-ordinates to give you some precision but then again it's a 3D modeling app and not a CAD program....
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I textured one of my Skycars (or Spacecars)....

CanadianRip
join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

Well...I did get to texture my flyingcar and render it in Vue Complete ver 11 with an HRDI photo as a backplate...

Make toddler games on Tablets, remember to thank me after you're rich.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
I call this a Skyrod, what I perceive to be what hot rods of the future may look like...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
A big, bad ass space gun ship....

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box

A little suggestion: In space there is no Up or Down. Your cutter does not have any defenses "down". You may wish to taper the X-Foils. The only place you see rectangular foils is in low velocity short to medium range missiles. Also, it is thought as a space only ship (as the Imperial Destroyers - those triangular things) or a "landable" ship (as the X-Wing)? This may influence the design for the "down" side.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Thanks kindly...appreciate the suggestions...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
How's this.... still prototyping at the moment... but I think you get the idea....