Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

1 edit

1 recommendation

vue666 (banned)

Re: My new time waster...

Click for full size
Flying Saucers Attack Teenage Hot Rodders

Combines my love of vintage American hot rods, the mystery of flying saucers/UFOs (are they real?) and 1950's & 60's science fiction....

I created this for tomorrow's art show at the Jalopy Journal's "The H.A.M.B." weekly Friday art show....

»www.jalopyjournal.com/

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford

MVM

Pan and Zoom (Flash) Version ==> »abitoftheweb.com/gallery ··· -v1.html

From Below the Above
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Very nice indeed... the flash viewer is super cool... This image is awesome especially when viewed in ZOOM mode...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Some sort of fantasy palace from my imagination... 3D model created in Groboto...
vue666

1 edit

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Beasty Elephant
Beasty Elephant... No this creature never existed. Not on our earth, not in our prehistory... Nor does it dwell on any remote, unexplored world... But it is a citizen that dwells in the depths of my imagination. A critter that I decided needed to be birthed to the digital canvas...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Hillbilly Bob

Click for full size
Hillbilly Bob
I initially started doing this image as a quick decal for a 3D hot rod model I was working on. I wanted to call the hot rod, a model A pickup truck, "Hillbilly Hauler". And I wanted an image (or decal) on the door of a toothless hillbilly...
vue666

1 edit

vue666 (banned)

Re: My new time waster...

Click for full size
Hillbilly Hauler
Hillbilly Hauler... This is what I initially created 'Hillbilly Bob' for... A decal on this rat rodded pickup truck powered by a turbo diesel engine...

3D render except for the driver which I painted....

A deer has caught the eye of the driver causing him to wonder to the wrong side of the road...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Rat Rod Pickup
Click for full size
Mesh
Here's the mesh of the rat rod pickup model...
vue666

1 recommendation

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Route 66
Just won $50 gift certificate at Speedway Motors with this 3D render of a '61 Chevy Impala on the Route 66 in Arizona....

It was the monthly art contest at the Hot Rodder's Forum where I came in 1st....
vue666

vue666 (banned)

The hardest part about the contest is now what to purchase with the $50 coupon...

So I opted for this 1/6 diecast scale of a Ford 427 wedge engine....

»www.speedwaymotors.com/1 ··· 072.html
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Country Cruise....another contest entry. Wish me luck...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Country Chase...

A 1957 Dodge Lancer police cruiser chases a young hot rodder through the country side in the late 1950's. A wilderness hare is startled by the noise and watches carefully before journeying onto the asphalt...

Created the illustration for this Friday's art show on the Jalopy Journals forum...

»www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Oh..by the way my 1/6th diecast of the Ford 427 wedge V8 arrived and it's a beauty. It's manufactured by Liberty Classics and of course it's made in China...LOL...
vue666

1 recommendation

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Lazy Days
Click for full size
Lazy Days II
Lazy Days... this is how I remembered spending many a lazy summer day in the country where I grew up...
vue666

1 recommendation

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Dog Days
I found another setting and scene for my Hillbilly Hauler... I call this render "Dog Days"...another contest entry....
vue666

2 recommendations

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Race to the Swing
Race to the Swing... memories from my childhood...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
A futuristic hoover car or sky rod of some sort... Modelled in Groboto...
vue666

1 edit

2 recommendations

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Another 3D render in Vue....

Misty Crossing

I also received notification that one of my photos was chosen at Renderosity to be one of the photos of the week...

»www.renderosity.com/mod/ ··· =2871505
quote:
Congratulations!

On behalf of the Photography staff, I am pleased to inform you that one of your recent gallery images has been selected for our Last Week in the Gallery Feature.

Each week, the Photography staff selects 30 images that "deserve a second look".

Be sure to stop by the forum and check out Last Week in the Gallery #33.

»www.renderosity.com/mod/ ··· =2871505

Once again, congratulations on being selected and thank you for sharing your work here at Renderosity.

Carin

Forum Moderator

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to vue666

to vue666
Vue you do some awesome work. The models are well done and your renders of them are outstanding.

I've been a Blender geek myself. I also prefer the 2.6+ UI over that of previous models. Lately I've been working in 2.68a as there are some good bug fixes and more tools on mesh repair & prepping for 3D printing.

I would like to print out one of your objects. I can tell you how well it goes. Maybe I can mail you one and you can mail me a beer back in return.
ruddypict

ruddypict to vue666

to vue666
(more of a reply to Guspaz but it won't let me reply direct).

You are for the most part accurate but there are a lot of misconceptions too. Part of the misconceptions are commercial style printer quality vs Maker printer quality.

For example some extremely precise 3D printers used in dental and wax are extrusion style. Some of them use lasers to test the density of the wax used, use support material and have a cutting blade to remove imperfections. The quality is day and night difference compared to a sub $500 dollar abs extruder.

The other thing that makes 3d printers hard to follow is its a virtual arms race between larger commercial companies and open source companies. On the commercial side, the big fish constantly swallow up the little fish (like the recent Stratasys & Makerbot merger). On the open source side there's virtually new printers every week and they all build off each other's innovations. And of course, a lot of the bigger 3D printer patents are due for expiration, which should change the game even more.

Right now with my home printer I can do about 0.06 millimeter layers. Its one of the Maker style ones (extrusion), made from a kit that I assembled and modified. I'm hoping to add dual extrusion to it soon so I can add in support material such as PVA. Currently I've printed PLA, ABS, Nylon and wood filament.
vue666 (banned)

1 edit

vue666 (banned) to ruddypict

to ruddypict
said by ruddypict:

Vue you do some awesome work. The models are well done and your renders of them are outstanding.

I've been a Blender geek myself. I also prefer the 2.6+ UI over that of previous models. Lately I've been working in 2.68a as there are some good bug fixes and more tools on mesh repair & prepping for 3D printing.

I would like to print out one of your objects. I can tell you how well it goes. Maybe I can mail you one and you can mail me a beer back in return.

Sounds good... which model are you interested in? I understand that to get a good object from a 3D printer, the 3D object must be a closed mesh... Is that correct?

I tried Blender prior to 2.49 but with the new interface I think I'll like it better...

Modeling apps:
I use Wings3D which is free
»www.wings3d.com/

I also own Hexagon3D which I like alot but it hasn't been updated in 5 years...
»www.daz3d.com/products/h ··· hexagon/
I purchased Hex3D when it was on sale for $25 a few years ago...

3DCoat for modeling and texturing
»3d-coat.com/

Sculptris - which is also free and from the developers of ZBrush
»pixologic.com/sculptris/

For rendering Vue Complete
»www.e-onsoftware.com/pro ··· cts/vue/

Texturing
I use UVMapper Classic also free
»www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html

Photoshop Elements 11

ArtRage 4 (like Corel Painter but better and way cheaper)

Cheers
vue666

vue666 (banned)

PS: I tried Google Sketchup but don't like the interface....
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Oops - I forgot to mention Groboto which is why I started this thread initially...

»www.groboto.com/v3/

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to vue666

to vue666
Yes, you should have a closed mesh (aka manifold or watertight) for 3D printing. Preferably with triangles pointed the right way. A lot of the time 3d modelling software tries to hide this from you (after all, its not really that important to 3D modelling in general).

To fix meshes I use Netfabb Basic (Win/Mac/Linux, free to use). Its got a pretty good default repairing facility. For stuff that's tougher (or when I'm lazy), I use Netfabb Cloud (»cloud.netfabb.com/). Occasionally I'll pull out Meshlab.

For printing I'd like to start with something easy. Maybe the Retro Rocketship? If you can't do STL I can do OBJ/PLY or any other common format like that.

If I have to take steps to make it watertight, I can let you know what I did. Like a mini tutorial.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Sounds good... I'll send you an IM...

The model is in OBJ format as I do my rendering in Vue...

I'v used Meshlab in the past to decimate a mesh or two (reduce poly count)...

Cheers

Vue

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

1 recommendation

urbanriot to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Lazy Days... this is how I remembered spending many a lazy summer day in the country where I grew up...

Lazy days reminds me of an experience I had about a decade ago, when I took my dog for a run out in the bush somewhere up north in the summer.

I came upon a stream very similar to your picture with a turtle in it who gazed at me hung out with the turtle... later I learned it was a snapping turtle and it could have easily taken off my finger while I was trying to feed it vegetation. He seemed like a chill dude though...
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Thanks Urbanriot. I appreciate the kind words...

Race to the Swing, Misty Crossing and Lazy Days are influenced from memories of my childhood, growing up in rural Nova Scotia... The summer was long and carefree. Every morning was like waking up to a new adventure full of innocence and wonder...

Once you learn how things work most of life's magic is lost...
vue666

vue666 (banned) to ruddypict

to ruddypict
said by ruddypict:

Yes, you should have a closed mesh (aka manifold or watertight) for 3D printing. Preferably with triangles pointed the right way. A lot of the time 3d modelling software tries to hide this from you (after all, its not really that important to 3D modelling in general).

To fix meshes I use Netfabb Basic (Win/Mac/Linux, free to use). Its got a pretty good default repairing facility. For stuff that's tougher (or when I'm lazy), I use Netfabb Cloud (»cloud.netfabb.com/). Occasionally I'll pull out Meshlab.

For printing I'd like to start with something easy. Maybe the Retro Rocketship? If you can't do STL I can do OBJ/PLY or any other common format like that.

If I have to take steps to make it watertight, I can let you know what I did. Like a mini tutorial.

Watching an episode of Jay Leno's Garage and he uses in his shop a 3D scanner and 3D printer to fabricate some really hard to get parts for some of his rare cars like Duesenberg or Auburn....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· VTBrKyZk
vue666

1 edit

1 recommendation

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Noise in the Night
Click for full size
The Conjuror
The Conjuror - I did this for Halloween a couple of years ago and would like to offer it here for your Halloween usage....

PS: This is not a 3D render but a digital sketch and painting using a Wacom Tablet and ArtRage....
vue666

1 recommendation

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
I call this illustration "Woodland Huntsman"... This image was influenced by my fondness of fantasy novels and my great appreciation of the Dutch landscape painters of the 17th century...

Hoping someone gives my the dvd "Dutch Light" for Christmas... or my birthday...

»www.amazon.com/Dutch-Lig ··· ch+light

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to vue666

MVM

to vue666
I am always astounded at your creativity! For me, your work is not only fun but brings an utterly fabulous ability to the foreground. Your work could easily fit into many levels of narratives/children's books, etc. I have always had lots of things whirling around in my head and used to paint with oil some of them, but never did I think that digital techniques would come along that would stimulate me to think about those days as does yours. Needless to say, I am a huge fan. Your last one here, Woodland Huntsman, is so full of detail and color, along with what really looks as if it could be the lighting from a real place, it's hard to stop looking. It really draws my eyes in. It seems far more detailed and saturated with color than most of your prior ones. I truly am amazed to watch your talent grow.