uniqs
share rss forum feed

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

Got the annual rate increase letter

Today I received in the mail the annual "we're increasing your monthly rate $7 a month, but we are increasing your internet speed to 35Mbps x 2" letter.

Two new channels:
Jewish Broadcasting Network
and
WGBH PBS 2 (SD only WTF)

I wouldn't mind this if we had all of the ondemand viewing that pretty much everyone else has. ESPN3 anyone? SHoGo? At least we do have HBOGo....

jcantara

join:2009-01-25
Tilton, NH

Technically, if all you get from Metrocast is internet (like me), then there's no increase in the price this year, plus they're bumping it to 35/2.

I'd have liked to see an increase in upload speeds and more download speed, but it's hard to complain (unless you compare it to Google Fiber ).

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH
reply to icedcorn

Correct, threre's also no price change for VIP. I know and understand prices go up. I just wish we had ESPN3.

jcantara

Tilton, NH
reply to icedcorn

Honestly, I'd be happy to pay them more for an even faster tier of internet. $100 for 50/10 would be awesome. I wish they'd do it.

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT
reply to icedcorn

just go the mail and my letter so as a VIP no added cost and I get a 40% faster download speed. Seems like a deal to me. But as you say 5 up would have been even better.

So short of winning power ball and paying what ever takes for someone to lay fiber to my house its the best I am going to do.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

It is a good deal for VIPers.

Of course land line phones are a dying breed, which is why I dumped the "phone" in VIP.

I still want ESPN3. That's really the only thing missing.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to billh491

35 down and 2 up? Don't we already have 2.5 up on the Ultra tier?

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT
reply to icedcorn

True I just got 26.22/2.42 better then the 25/2 promised and I am paying for so on that count MC is way ahead for most providers.

Grunge_Audit

join:2007-12-05

Anyone know if the caps have been lifted?

Also, all speeds are not guaranteed per the terms of service. It should be in the fine print.

--
Where is that marketing manager when you need him? -GA

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Doubtful about the caps.
Nt complaining at all as my upload is actually higher than advertised.

jcantara

Tilton, NH
reply to icedcorn

Regarding the caps... Has anyone heard of anyone being contacted for going over them? Or even better, has anyone heard anything about a customer portal that will let us view our current usage as compared against the cap?

Until both of those things happen, then I suspect the caps are there in writing only so that they can go after people who are going waaaaaay over them, month after month.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

That's my understanding. 350GB is a ton (for the 35 down package)...

And pretty much I was told by CS reps that it's only enforced if you're a serious abuser. I could not find a way to find out my actual usage.

jcantara

Tilton, NH
reply to billh491

said by billh491:

True I just got 26.22/2.42 better then the 25/2 promised and I am paying for so on that count MC is way ahead for most providers.

This is very true. Comcast regularly advertises plans that never meet expectations, but my experience with Metrocast over the last decade is that they almost always do live up to what they promise.

Of course, Comcast (available just a few miles down the road from me) offers a 105Mbps package for $90, and even if they never quite lived up to the 105 number, when compared to the $70 Metrocast 35mbps package, it could suck quite a bit and still be a better deal.

jcantara

Tilton, NH
reply to icedcorn

said by icedcorn:

That's my understanding. 350GB is a ton (for the 35 down package)...

And pretty much I was told by CS reps that it's only enforced if you're a serious abuser. I could not find a way to find out my actual usage.

Yeah, so I wonder what they consider serious abuse. I lost a hard drive this year and had to re-download a lot of stuff. I went well over the 350gb cap (just about doubled), and never heard from them about it. You must have to be doing something really crazy to get them on your back.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
Rochester, NH

I use Carbonite so when I did a full reset of my PC I think that download was 120gb in itself...and I called them ahead of time and I didn't get the feeling it was a problem. I do think it might be if you keep doing it for multiple months (exceed your cap).

quantumred

join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

So we're getting an upgrade to 35x2 for $70. The lucky folk in Kansas City already get 696x620 with Google fiber for the same price.

»arstechnica.com/business/2012/11···00-mbps/

booticon

join:2007-07-31
East Lyme, CT

Yeah, and a national buildout will cost them an estimated $140B, so I don't really see that happening anytime soon.

veloct
Go Pats
Premium
join:2003-01-21
Moosup, CT
reply to icedcorn

I have the SB5xxx modem, will it be able to handle the 35 down speed? I'm wondering if I should ask to upgrade my modem
--
Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Personally I would buy my own and not have the monthly fee. Staples in Killingly has the SB6120.

NetworkNH

join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH
reply to veloct

veloct, you may want to consider upgrading to a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem. I upgraded to the SB6180 myself, and love it! We have 5 channel downstream bonding and 2 channel upstream bonding in my town (might want to check with MC to see if your town does?). Wont do much for achieving higher bandwidth, but will definitely make your connection more stable/consistent during peak hours. The 6180 cannot be bought in-store, however I pasted a eBay link if you're interested in buying one (it's where I bought mine):

»www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=···from=R40

I originally had a 6121 but it wont support anything above 4 channel downstream bonding. The 6180 supports up to 8-channel's, which I feel MC will eventually support as they upgrade their equipment in the future.

Oh, and according to a MC support rep they are releasing the upgraded speed tiers on January 1st, 2013 (be sure to reset your modems or hop on that chat line with them - I had to do this last year as they hadnt "pushed" the new config files out yet).

Cant wait to be moved from 25x2 to 35x2! Wish there was more upload, but I'll take the extra download!

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

I am expecting a 6180 to arrive tomorrow, I got it through Amazon...

What exactly is the procedure for putting a new modem on my account?

NetworkNH

Northwood, NH

That's awesome! Forgot to mention they could be purchased through Amazon as well

In regards to setting up the new modem, that can be accomplished by calling your local Metrocast office. Select the prompt for technical support, and explain that you're switching out your old modem for a new one. They just need the model number, and the HFC MAC ID on the bottom of the modem, or it may be on the box it came in.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
reply to icedcorn

Yeah, the prices on Amazon were just about the same as they were on eBay. But since you're buying from Amazon you're at least slightly better protected.

All of the the ones on either site were refurbs, I guess that's the only way consumers can buy them.

thanks for the info!

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
reply to icedcorn

OK, that was easy!

SB6180 up and running, status page shows I have 4 channels bonded on the down link, just like before, but now I have capability of 8 channels bonded!

2 out of 4 available uplink channels bonded!

I feel future proofed!

veloct
Go Pats
Premium
join:2003-01-21
Moosup, CT
reply to icedcorn

Mine should be here tomorrow. I got it through eBay with an extended warranty just in case. I'm looking forward to this, I'll be able to return the rental modem that I currently have.
--
Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

NetworkNH

Northwood, NH
reply to icedcorn

Glad to hear that! You're very welcome!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to nelamvr6

said by nelamvr6:

OK, that was easy!

SB6180 up and running, status page shows I have 4 channels bonded on the down link, just like before, but now I have capability of 8 channels bonded!

2 out of 4 available uplink channels bonded!

I feel future proofed!

Makes me want to upgrade my 6120.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT

Highly recommended!

NetworkNH

Northwood, NH

I second that recommendation!

ptrowski